Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Army Related Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Army Related Forum Topics about the Israeli armed forces, special forces, tanks, apc's, guns etc + world armies.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:36 PM

USMC_Corporal is on a distinguished road
Smile Possible for an American to join the IDF?

Yes, I'm serious. I'm a former USMC vet, 32yo, non-Jewish American. I don't know much about the recruitment rules to get into the IDF, and one would assume you'd have to be an Israeli citizen to join, but it's worth a try. Anyone that can help me with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
CPL K
Old 04-13-2008, 02:08 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Corporal View Post
Yes, I'm serious. I'm a former USMC vet, 32yo, non-Jewish American. I don't know much about the recruitment rules to get into the IDF, and one would assume you'd have to be an Israeli citizen to join, but it's worth a try. Anyone that can help me with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
CPL K
There is no path for men over the age of 23 (women over 21) who are not Israeli citizens to enter into the IDF right now.

In addition to that, there is currently no path for non-Israeli non-jews to enter into the IDF at any age.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:59 AM

Boges is on a distinguished road

What about Garin Tzabar?

Edit: Though seeing that you're 32, that probably won't work either. 32 is an old old man, considering that most soldiers are between 18 and 21. :)

Last edited by Boges; 04-13-2008 at 04:15 PM..
Old 04-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

In order to participate in Garin Tsabar, a candidate must be eligible for citizenship in Israel under the "Law of Return". A "non-jewish American" is not.

As to the corporal, Semper Fi and deepest appreciation for your interest.
And respect for your service. There are volunteer programs that could see you working on an IDF base as a volunteer, but that might just be frustrating. If that is something you might be interested in, let me know.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:59 AM

Boges is on a distinguished road

True, non-jewish would be a problem. I missed that, got USMC_Corporal confused with some other people asking about joining IDF. But I was also talking more generally about garin tzabar. Sorry for confusion.

Last edited by Boges; 04-14-2008 at 02:04 AM..
Old 06-09-2008, 10:13 AM

Richard Steinberg is on a distinguished road

To USMC Corporal: You may have opportunities to work for Israeli companies that need to have ex-US MIL personnel. I can give you some insight there. If you worked in AGF or IQ that is good experience. (Actually any tours you may have done under CENTCOM puts you in a good position). BTW: If you did any tours in IQ or AFG let me know where you served; I know the regions and camps quite well.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:02 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Steinberg View Post
To USMC Corporal: You may have opportunities to work for Israeli companies that need to have ex-US MIL personnel. I can give you some insight there. If you worked in AGF or IQ that is good experience. (Actually any tours you may have done under CENTCOM puts you in a good position). BTW: If you did any tours in IQ or AFG let me know where you served; I know the regions and camps quite well.
Read your other thread about your background.
I'd be curious to know your mispar ishi, maybe we served together.

You could even PM it to me.

Last edited by rafi; 06-11-2008 at 04:10 AM..
Old 06-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Gold Member

*titanium* is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
In order to participate in Garin Tsabar, a candidate must be eligible for citizenship in Israel under the "Law of Return". A "non-jewish American" is not.
Isnt garin tsabar for those who have Israeli parents but live in north America? The Israeli parents thing im pretty much sure of, its even in the name of the program!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by *titanium* View Post
Isnt garin tsabar for those who have Israeli parents but live in north America? The Israeli parents thing im pretty much sure of, its even in the name of the program!
Children of Israelis are eligible for citizenship under the Law of Return.

A bit technical an answer for this website, but some Garin Tsabar participants are in fact descendents of Israelis, and eligible for citizenship but have not activated it. So the fine line between "eligible for citizenship" and those who have citizenship as a child of an Israeli but have never activated it is a technical thing. Two of my three children have Israeli as well as American passports. The third is eligible.

Sorry if this confused anyone.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:44 PM

YoungJew91 is on a distinguished road

go to the IDF home page look for the english translation of it and look in the Mahal section, that's where information about foreign volunteers and such is at.

if you are a foreigner interested in the IDF.

-George Orwell

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

-George Orwell
Old 06-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

johnboy is on a distinguished road

welcome to the forum YoungJew91
please feel free to go to our Introduction Section and Introduce yourself to our members will a little about yourself
Old 06-14-2008, 02:41 PM

YoungJew91 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
welcome to the forum YoungJew91
please feel free to go to our Introduction Section and Introduce yourself to our members will a little about yourself
Thank you for the welcome, I'll be sure to do that.

-George Orwell

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

-George Orwell
Old 06-15-2008, 02:57 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungJew91 View Post
go to the IDF home page look for the english translation of it and look in the Mahal section, that's where information about foreign volunteers and such is at.

if you are a foreigner interested in the IDF.
There are a number of links here for people interested in helping or serving in the IDF.

The MAHAL site you have referred to, I am the administrator, but always happy to answer questions here as well.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:52 PM

TeamAmerica is on a distinguished road

I was thinking after my military career in the US I might get a join the IDF or get a job in Israel. I will probably be in my early 30s. Any advice?
Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 AM

idfgolani is on a distinguished road
Default To USMC_Corporal

Well, if you want to join the IDF you need to look at your reasons for joining. Are you joining to increase your experiance as a soldier? Are you just looking for a job? Or do you want to join to support Israel and Judaism?

If you wish to join for either of the first two then good luck cause you wont succeed unless you are Jewish or an Israeli Citizen.

If you wish to join for the third reason posted above then I might have some good advice. First if you arn't Jewish then you need to convert. Israel will accept either Orthodox, Conservative or Reform conversions made outside Israel. Secondly, you need to make Aliyah considering many agencies that work with the armed forces will not take you if you are over 23. So make Aliyah under your new conversion status and go to Israel. Become a citizen to support Israel and raise your family Jewish.
Don't convert and make Aliyah just to join the army, the army is more a service to Israel and her people than a reason to have a job and experiance. You average soldier makes 150$ a month in Israel, sothe pay ain't that great. Experiance is available everywhere not just Israel.

So look into conversion. Sign up for an intorduction to Judaism cousre at a local temple and experiance what life is like being Jewish, then consider making a move to live in Israel. As for your age... just remember this, cause it applys especially to Israel... its not what you know but who you know that makes the wheels of progress turn.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:44 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

IDFGolani's well-intentioned response is unfortunately filled with a number of inaccuracys (no disrespect intended).

First, Israel is not looking for additional manpower for the IDF. After the age of 23 or 24, the major focus is to prepare you for a life of serving with an existing unit of reservists. At age 32 to begin this process, well, it would be incredibly unfair to suggest you could ever get to where you want in the IDF. In certain cases, where there is a specialty you have, paticularly in high-tech, they are developing a program where those willing to serve for an extended period of time can get a "fast track" to OTC. But even that program is being designed for 25 year olds with advanced degrees.

As to becoming a citizen, there are not many paths. I humbly disagree that non-Orthodox conversions, especially those made almost immediately prior to trying to move to Israel are going to be recognized and make you eligible for citizenship under the Law of Return.Citizenship and marriage as a reason for converting are two quick ways to get rejected from most conversion courses. While probably more information than you need, the Reform and Conservative movements in Israel have little to no power nor recognition, and certainly are not recognized in matters of conversion. Articles in the Jerusalem Post from as recent as last week can easily testify to this.

So please, do not misunderstand me. I am basing my answers on over 35 years now of IDF service, as an American born Israeli. I deal daily with those wishing to serve and have a long documention list of what will and won't fly. So I do understand the system, continue to be active in it, and in fact will be serving my next round of reserves in a few weeks.

Sar-el is your best bet for an IDF experience, and with your background you would stand an excellent chance of getting some unofficial special insights into what we do, how we do it and what we use to do it.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:52 PM

idfgolani is on a distinguished road

I may not agree with rafi's opinion on conversion, but I do agree on ability and eligibility for military service. Sar el is a pretty good experiance.

Last edited by idfgolani; 06-30-2008 at 09:33 AM..
Old 08-05-2008, 09:06 PM

soukupb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post

As to the corporal, Semper Fi and deepest appreciation for your interest.
And respect for your service. There are volunteer programs that could see you working on an IDF base as a volunteer, but that might just be frustrating. If that is something you might be interested in, let me know.
hey i dont suppose u could get me any information on those volunteer programs ur talking about? if u could thanks id appreciate it.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Paparock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Corporal View Post

Thx
CPL K
I walked in your shoes as a 2Lt. back in 1973 and wish you the best of luck however I do doubt you will have any more success than I did. It is a very hard and complicated task especially at your age. I was 23 at the time. There are many was to help and serve Israel though so do not give up for where if you have the will there are ways.
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”

Old 08-27-2008, 02:48 AM

RONIN_13769 is on a distinguished road

I was adopted at 6 mos of age and recently found out that my birth mother was Jewish, I am to old to serve in the military but what about a civilian law enforcement position?
I am a prior military veteran USAF, ARMY National Guard and USN reserves. I have over 20 years of LE experience, all aspects from patrol to Internal Affairs, and other investigative and protection details. Would there be any type of LE positions that I could look into? I am 46 yrs old.

Thanks for any replies.
Israel Forum