Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Self Defense
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Self Defense Martial arts, defending yourself, krav maga, firearms, weapons, survival, etc.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:11 AM

Hebrew Gunslinger is on a distinguished road
Default Gun Ammo in Israel

Hey guys just found this forum and it looks great.

I'm looking to buy a semi-auto pistol, and I want to make aliyah soon, so I was wondering what kinds of ammo are common there. I know it must be easy to get 9mm, but I was interested in something chambered for the .40 S&W or .45 ACP does anybody know if there is any of that ammo available/reasonably priced in Israel? Also does anybody know about ammo for a 12 guage shotgun (which I already have) or .38/.357 magnum? What does ammo cost over there in general (in shkalim).

One last question: What is the process for bringing firearms to Israel, and is it generally an easy or difficult process?

Shalom.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:19 AM

lpr is on a distinguished road

Unless you are:
An officer in the IDF
An officer in the Police
Member if the other security forces
Live over the green line (west bank)

You will not get a gun license.

You also need to be a citizen living in Israel for at least 3 years.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Gold Member

shelory is on a distinguished road

yeah, the last guy i remember that was cot (spelling?) was attacked by the media of being an Israeli Jewish terrorist trying to get weapons into Israel to kill Arabs, but the truth was that he just wanted to have his guns with him when he made aliyah and to protect his family if something happened. but he had like 10 guns 4 of them assault rifle's one sniper and the rest where hand guns. the poor dud had all his guns confiscated.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:47 PM

impuls3 is on a distinguished road

its wierd that you say that. because i find it hard to find someone NOT carrying a gun on them in israel. very interesting.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:11 PM

RGL01 is on a distinguished road

It's really ashame that Israel is so backwards in this regard. Think about how many lives could have been saved in places like Maalot, Kiryat Shemona, along the Coastal Road, etc., if a majority of Israeli adults carried concealed sidearms. But in this regard Israel is just another "European" country.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:19 AM

medievalmax is on a distinguished road
Default handloading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrew Gunslinger View Post
Hey guys just found this forum and it looks great.

I'm looking to buy a semi-auto pistol, and I want to make aliyah soon, so I was wondering what kinds of ammo are common there. I know it must be easy to get 9mm, but I was interested in something chambered for the .40 S&W or .45 ACP does anybody know if there is any of that ammo available/reasonably priced in Israel? Also does anybody know about ammo for a 12 guage shotgun (which I already have) or .38/.357 magnum? What does ammo cost over there in general (in shkalim).

One last question: What is the process for bringing firearms to Israel, and is it generally an easy or difficult process?

Shalom.
I guess getting the powder would be the hard part if you wanted to hand-load huh?
It is something to consider though.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Dragon

PILMAN is on a distinguished road

Getting a gun is very difficult and you must have a reason. Here is the form if your interested in obtaining a firearm in Israel.

Many have asked about the easy availability of firearms in the State of Israel, and whether or not they can bring their guns with them when visiting or settling there. Some have visited Israel, or have seen photographs of people walking the streets in Israel carrying firearms.Nearly everyone interested in the preservation of the Second Amendment in America points to Israel as proof of how ordinary citizens, armed and trained, are a deterrent to crime and terrorism. And it's true! However,a quick glance at the rigid gun laws in Israel will show that it has farstricter firearms laws than many people, including myself, previously thought. Enjoy reading the translation as much as I enjoyed translating the document!
In liberty,
Rabbi R. Mermelstein

The Israel Dept. of the Interior makes notification to the generalpublic the requirements necessary for the obtaining of a permit topossess a firearm:
1. Applicant must be a permanent resident of Israel for 3 consecutiveyears prior to making application for a firearms permit.
2. Applicant years of age.
3. The permit request must be for personal use, not to engage in thebusiness of firearms sales.

4. Applicant must fall into one of the following categories:
a. Part-time reservist (volunteer) for 3 years- may own 1 handgun
b. Such a reservist (volunteer) is a member of a gun club- may own 1rifle
c. Professional, licensed public transportation driver, transportinga minimum of 5 passengers- may own 1 handgun
d. Licensed animal control officer- may own 2 hunting rifles, *not*full automatic weapons, or semi-automatic weapons with a limitedcapacity magazine.
e. Full-time dealer of jewelry or large sums of cash or valuables-may own 1 handgun
West Bank and Gaza Strip Settlers:
1. A resident in a militarily strategic buffer zone, essential to thesecurity of the State of Israel- may own 1 handgun
2. A business owner in these geographic areas- may own 1 handgun
Veterans:
1. Veterans of the Regular Army honorably discharged with the rank ofnoncommissioned officer, and veterans of the Reserve Army with the rankof regimental commander- may own 1 handgun
2. Retired law enforcement officers with the rank of sergeant- may own 1handgun
3. Retired prison guards with the rank of squadron commander- may own 1handgun
Individuals: Upon presenting documentation that one is about to receive a souvenir, aprize, an inheritance, or an award of appreciation from the Israelmilitary.

Good luck

Of course if you want guns illegally, you can buy AK47's from the Bedouins I believe in the Negev but you didn't hear that from me ;)

I also have heard you can rent guns from the local police departments if your going somewhere that might be dangerous and you return it at the end of the day, I can't confirm but I heard it on several gun forums from Israelis.

To answer your question, .45 ACP is rather uncommon outside of America therefore 9mm would probably be the most popular round. I don't think Israelis keep a round chambered either, I think they cock and lock when they draw.

Last edited by PILMAN; 03-09-2007 at 09:25 PM..
Old 03-09-2007, 09:44 PM

medievalmax is on a distinguished road
Default lots of good info!

Pilman,

Great post!
I would have thought that the 45 ACP would be more universal. I had posted a response on another thread where I had mentioned that state law enforcement here in Texas opted for the .357 sig. I dare to imagine that the extra velocity could make a huge difference when your attacker is in a concealed position.

You think that this would apply to an urban environment such as the West bank? I am not familiar with the geography.

Thanks for the clarity.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalmax View Post
Pilman,

Great post!
I would have thought that the 45 ACP would be more universal. I had posted a response on another thread where I had mentioned that state law enforcement here in Texas opted for the .357 sig. I dare to imagine that the extra velocity could make a huge difference when your attacker is in a concealed position.

You think that this would apply to an urban environment such as the West bank? I am not familiar with the geography.

Thanks for the clarity.
If you are living in the west bank as a settler, yes you can have a handgun. I believe it's actually permitted though I have heard of increased gated towns. I don't think you can own a rifle though unless your a reservist. My guess is the popular handgun choices are the Jericho 941, Glock 17, Barak, and the BUL M-5 (Israeli 1911 clone)

Sig P226 is used to a limited extent but they are very expensive in Israel and not as easy to find.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:55 AM

Hebrew Gunslinger is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses, and especially PILMAN for the form.

I must say given the circumstances in Israel, I'm both shocked and disapointed that there is such tight gun control laws over there.

1000's of armed and angry 'palestinians' and their suicide bombers could not scare me from moving to Israel, but my own brothers removing/making difficult the means by which I can protect myself and my family is by far a more uncomfortable situation for me to live with. Though this will not deter me from moving there either.

I will figure something out.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Dragon

Quote:

I must say given the circumstances in Israel, I'm both shocked and disapointed that there is such tight gun control laws over there.

1000's of armed and angry 'palestinians' and their suicide bombers could not scare me from moving to Israel, but my own brothers removing/making difficult the means by which I can protect myself and my family is by far a more uncomfortable situation for me to live with. Though this will not deter me from moving there either.

It's up to you if you want to go the illegal route, I can't encourage it or provoke you into getting a firearm however if you really want one, then the negev getting a firearm from a Arab is one option. Also i'm sure groups like Kahane are armed.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:59 AM
Gold Member

*titanium* is on a distinguished road

The gun laws are not that restircted. People abroad think they are ristricted because they revolve around having done army service. They forget that in Israel a large majority of people do so.

Last edited by *titanium*; 03-25-2007 at 02:07 AM..
Old 03-26-2007, 09:04 PM

rotzeh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILMAN View Post
, .45 ACP is rather uncommon outside of America therefore 9mm would probably be the most popular round. .

Negativ!

Canīt confirm that at all. Maybe it applies to those that think they need to defend themselves around every next street corner....but aside from that, the ballistics and variations of the 45 Auto (as it is now called) are much smoother than those of the 9mm.

But great and interesting posting about the gun law.
Was always wondering if it would be a prob, immigrating to israel and take your firearm(s).

South africa is much looser in this, but who knows how long...
Old 04-13-2007, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Dont forget that most males go thorugh the army and Most will reach the rank of non comissioned officer. They also do reserve duty. Effectivly over 90% of Jewsih males and almost as high % of Druze males can own guns. Most of these can have a rifle so long as they join a club. These laws stop untrained people from obtaining guns and also out of the Arabs (minus Druze and Bedouin who are loyaly and serve in the IDF) of which 75% are completly against the Jewish state, well lujst just say that a far higher % of people in the UK own guns illegaly then there are Israeli Arabs with Guns. Seeing as there has been an Israeli Arab suicide bomber, a number of shootings and other methods of murder, racialy motivated. Its a good thing they dont guns. 17% of the populaiton of Israel are the Israeli Arabs that are muslim and identify as Palestinian. 77% are Jews. The Arabs are responsible for many times more racialy motivated murderes than the Jews are depite being being so many less of them.

12 or so years ago a Jewish terrorist shot 29 westbank palestinians and there where riots all around the Muslim world, worse then that over the cartoons. Muslims tryed to explain that the cartoon riots where because we dont understand how important their prophet is to them. How ever was excuses these riots? They are just violent people, there have been single Atacks that where larger in Israel, USA, UK, Spain and many many others. Almost as many westbank Palestinians where killed during their violent protests then during the shooting that started them.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:46 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by *titanium* View Post
Dont forget that most males go thorugh the army and Most will reach the rank of non comissioned officer. They also do reserve duty. Effectivly over 90% of Jewsih males and almost as high % of Druze males can own guns. Most of these can have a rifle so long as they join a club. These laws stop untrained people from obtaining guns and also out of the Arabs (minus Druze and Bedouin who are loyaly and serve in the IDF) of which 75% are completly against the Jewish state, well lujst just say that a far higher % of people in the UK own guns illegaly then there are Israeli Arabs with Guns. Seeing as there has been an Israeli Arab suicide bomber, a number of shootings and other methods of murder, racialy motivated. Its a good thing they dont guns. 17% of the populaiton of Israel are the Israeli Arabs that are muslim and identify as Palestinian. 77% are Jews. The Arabs are responsible for many times more racialy motivated murderes than the Jews are depite being being so many less of them.

12 or so years ago a Jewish terrorist shot 29 westbank palestinians and there where riots all around the Muslim world, worse then that over the cartoons. Muslims tryed to explain that the cartoon riots where because we dont understand how important their prophet is to them. How ever was excuses these riots? They are just violent people, there have been single Atacks that where larger in Israel, USA, UK, Spain and many many others. Almost as many westbank Palestinians where killed during their violent protests then during the shooting that started them.
I assume you are referring to Baruch Goldstein, not so sure I would consider him a terrorist. Kahane is banned from elections yet Palestinian sympathizers are allowed into the Knesset it's rediculous.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:24 PM

ariel81 is on a distinguished road

baruch golsdtein was a terrorist and a disgrace to the jewish nation

you think that having a handgun will save you from the armed palestinians?for that,we have the army and police,what do you think that you will be ablke to do,with a handgun againts a couple of guys with m16 or ak47??good luck
Old 04-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel81 View Post
baruch golsdtein was a terrorist and a disgrace to the jewish nation

you think that having a handgun will save you from the armed palestinians?for that,we have the army and police,what do you think that you will be ablke to do,with a handgun againts a couple of guys with m16 or ak47??good luck
Theres been cases where gunmen have opened fire and shot by someone in the public. Just think about the shooting a few days ago, Imagine if other people had guns. Israeli arabs have opened fire like this on many occasions. They never manged to kill many people like this as they get shot so quickly.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:56 PM

im not pro or against gun control,im only saying that having guns its not necesarili a guarantee of security
and as i told you,the chances of a guy,with a pistol,against an ak47 are very slimm indeed
Old 04-20-2007, 07:08 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel81 View Post
im not pro or against gun control,im only saying that having guns its not necesarili a guarantee of security
and as i told you,the chances of a guy,with a pistol,against an ak47 are very slimm indeed
I guess you never seen some of the navy seals with their MK23's? It depends on the user of the gun, a experienced person with a handgun is going to be more deadly than a inexperienced user with a AK47. Handgun has an advantage as well of being concealable and easy to turn around corners keeping tight.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:40 PM

they are seals,you are not a seal
they are super profesionnals,you are not
and still,they are in disadvantage ,with a handgun
Israel Forum