Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Israeli Military Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Israeli Military Discussion Forum GENERAL Topics Relating To Israel & Its National Security, Latest news and Analysis.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Dragon

PILMAN is on a distinguished road
Default Can I enlist IDF if I make aliyah at 24 years old?

So I'm looking into IDF, I already know i'm too old to enlist in the IDF at 24 as a volunteer if I go through mahal 2000, but if I make Aliyah and enlist as a Israeli citizen, will they let me at 24 years old? Will I be able to get into a combat unit? What's the age cut off? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Short answer, forget regular service - 6 months training for reserve unit in infantry, or draft pool with no service.
As I always mention to people, if you do not speak hebrew, expect 6 months of moving large heavy objects from one place to
another, the only thing you will be qualified to do as you learn how to understand being told such hebrew phrases as as "you are
walking in a mine field", and so on.

Any other answers, read the 50+ posts answering the same question in the last 6 months.

http://www.nbn.co.il/site/kb/questio...ervice+For+Men

Last edited by rafi; 03-26-2010 at 10:54 AM..
Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Dragon

ishmael is on a distinguished road

Excellant reply RAFI!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
Excellant reply RAFI!
Akhi, Akhi, Ishmael.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:08 AM

bmendales is on a distinguished road
Default some thoughts

Couldn't agree more with everything that's been said here. Just a few things to add.

Be sure of your motivations for everything. is it to be hardcore and take pictures of yourself with a gun? Or are you prepared, at 24 years of age to suck it up and take orders from a 19 year old kid a year out of his own basic training, and surrounded by 18 year old kids of varying maturity, to stand guard 4 on 4 off, or 8 on 8 off, to get time off maybe once a month, and most importantly, to be extremely bored and tired most of the time?

It is possible. Rare and difficult, but possible - especially if you make lots of noise and balagan, to go in at your age. I have a friend who did this at 24.

He did the maslul for Tzanchanim (paratroopers), but then, as they say in hebrew and translated for popular consumption - his horse was tired. Not saying they still use horses in the Paratroopers or anywhere in the IDF, it's just an expression. It means that he had enough. Once he got to the line he realized what the real army is and decided that he was done. So he ran away. Running away is greatly frowned upon in the army.

Keep in mind that the IDF is not the Army of the Jewish People. It is the Army of the State of Israel. Israel may be the Jewish State but it is certainly not Disneyland for Jews. There is a difference. Nothing here is designed to make it fun, pleasant, or easy. Making aliyah just gives you the right to grumble about everything like the rest of us.

Doing things like Mahal can be admirable, but again it's a question of motivation. I'm troubled by the concept of someone who is willing to go to a country (see paragraph above), no matter how connected he feels to it because of his Judaism, do the army, but then leave immediately afterwards - which happens with a significant percentage even of anglos who make aliyah. Make aliyah for Israel, not for the army - because you have a connection to the place, warts and all - and especially the elements outside the army. Then you get to throw your lot in and do your time with everyone else.

Also - to echo what Rafi said earlier, both on this post and elsewhere. They do let people with minimal Hebrew into infantry units. It happens. It is a mistake. It is dangerous, both for the soldier and for everyone else around him.

Last edited by bmendales; 04-08-2010 at 11:16 AM..
Old 04-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Dragon

HideNSeek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmendales View Post
Couldn't agree more with everything that's been said here. Just a few things to add.

Be sure of your motivations for everything. is it to be hardcore and take pictures of yourself with a gun? Or are you prepared, at 24 years of age to suck it up and take orders from a 19 year old kid a year out of his own basic training, and surrounded by 18 year old kids of varying maturity, to stand guard 4 on 4 off, or 8 on 8 off, to get time off maybe once a month, and most importantly, to be extremely bored and tired most of the time?

It is possible. Rare and difficult, but possible - especially if you make lots of noise and balagan, to go in at your age. I have a friend who did this at 24.

He did the maslul for Tzanchanim (paratroopers), but then, as they say in hebrew and translated for popular consumption - his horse was tired. Not saying they still use horses in the Paratroopers or anywhere in the IDF, it's just an expression. It means that he had enough. Once he got to the line he realized what the real army is and decided that he was done. So he ran away. Running away is greatly frowned upon in the army.

Keep in mind that the IDF is not the Army of the Jewish People. It is the Army of the State of Israel. Israel may be the Jewish State but it is certainly not Disneyland for Jews. There is a difference. Nothing here is designed to make it fun, pleasant, or easy. Making aliyah just gives you the right to grumble about everything like the rest of us.

Doing things like Mahal can be admirable, but again it's a question of motivation. I'm troubled by the concept of someone who is willing to go to a country (see paragraph above), no matter how connected he feels to it because of his Judaism, do the army, but then leave immediately afterwards - which happens with a significant percentage even of anglos who make aliyah. Make aliyah for Israel, not for the army - because you have a connection to the place, warts and all - and especially the elements outside the army. Then you get to throw your lot in and do your time with everyone else.

Also - to echo what Rafi said earlier, both on this post and elsewhere. They do let people with minimal Hebrew into infantry units. It happens. It is a mistake. It is dangerous, both for the soldier and for everyone else around him.

Well, some leave, but still do reserve duty, all in all I can't blame them.
Many have families overseas, they just wanted to do their part.

Also, that friend of your though is pretty typical of North American tough guys who come over to Israel to kill "Terrorists". Why don't they just try artillery? But no, they are all super "l3et" with their "deagle" (computer game experts). What happened to your friend though when he came back? Did he at least feel ashamed or did he just spin it like it was "their" fault? The gene for responsibility is not found in many of these guys genetics (or is it the upbringing?).

Last edited by HideNSeek; 04-08-2010 at 11:54 AM..
Old 04-08-2010, 12:46 PM

bmendales is on a distinguished road
Default don't get me wrong

oh - don't get me wrong. life does get in the way and sometimes people do have to go back. i am in no way disparaging those who do go back, and especially not those who went back who continue to serve through reserve duty. my point is, much like you said, those who come over specifically to be Super Jew Commandos are the ones who tend to be the most disappointed.

and there are many ways to make a contribution.

despite the jokes some make about artillery (totchanim), they serve just like everyone else does in difficult conditions, especially in normal batash situations they're doing kav just like everyone else.

as for my friend, no - he wasn't particularly contrite about the whole thing. eventually he got released from the army - but not the way one would wish to be released from the army.
Israel Forum