Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Media > Images & Media Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Images & Media Forum Military or none military related images, videos and other media's. No Graphic Content Allowed also book reviews

Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road
Cool U.S. Air Force: Pictures provide rare glimpse into life in the skies

Quote:
This stunning set of photographs illustrate the difficult but often inspiring work undertaken by the U.S. Air Force. Each photograph was taken by a member of the Air Force during training in America, South Korea and Afghanistan. From spectacular views aboard an aircraft to intimate moments shared between the airmen, the pictures provide a snapshot into the daily life of those magnificent men and women in their flying machines.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/photos/u-s-...681-slideshow/

Why is it that on June 4th 1967 I was a Jordanian and overnight I became a Palestinian? - Walid Shoebat, PLO terrorist
Old 01-30-2013, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaur View Post
I'd like to hear Odie's comments on picture #3. Not sure what an E-1 Airman Basic (the USAF entry rank) is doing training on an Army base.

She also doesn't appear to have any LBE to hump around.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Could she be one of the intel types? Fort Meade houses heaps of intel stuff I know, one of their fieldcraft excercises?

Camera guy might not have wanted LBE in the pic, recruitment suffers if a pic shows someone humping a 40kg rucksack I suppose, just saying

Why is it that on June 4th 1967 I was a Jordanian and overnight I became a Palestinian? - Walid Shoebat, PLO terrorist

Last edited by Knaur; 01-30-2013 at 02:24 AM..
Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Google fu threw up another pic of an Airman Basic at Fort Meade, Defense Information School excercise apparently that one is from.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Google fu threw up another pic of an Airman Basic at Fort Meade, Defense Information School excercise apparently that one is from.
I was at Meade from May 1977-April 1979 and the DIS wasn't billeted there at the time. Apparently it moved in 1995 to the present location. Went back for a day a few years ago when I was visiting my stepbrother in D. C. and had a tremendous flood of memories come gushing forth, not all of them good. It was an extremely difficult part of my life and memories of that period will always remain bittersweet at best.

Fort Meade had (and probably still has) all branches of the US forces coming and going for training during my tour and a number of those were permanent party (such as myself) out of NSA and other ancillary units due to the proximity of that base to Washington. There were also reservists traipsing in and out during the summertime. Just can't recall ever seeing someone of that low rank (not even Army personnel) as most of the advanced school trainees I observed were at least E-2 pay grade.

Believe me: The absence of any sort of rank insignia on an individual in uniform stands out to others in uniform...not in a good way, either.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Ah OK, what you say does make sense.

I have immense respect for the AirForce intel types though (as I do for others as well), the kind of precision targetting of Commanders they've done in 'Stan and Iraq with minimal damage is mind blowing.

This is an article from a Pakistani daily - http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...2-1-2010_pg3_5

As you can see despite what the UN and bleeding heart liberals would have us believe, the people actually welcomed the drone attacks and asked for some more!

DIS is based at Ft. Meade now, I confirmed it off their website, not sure if this lady was part of it but yes, the combat photographers (E-1) are trained there.

Must be a nightmare saluting everyone in sight on the general principle that their rank must be superior , come to think of it, the thumb rule would be salute any insignia for E-1's, its the Sgt.'s who'd be making quick mental calculations counting stripes and stars from estoric branches

Old 01-30-2013, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
DIS is based at Ft. Meade now, I confirmed it off their website, not sure if this lady was part of it but yes, the combat photographers (E-1) are trained there.

Must be a nightmare saluting everyone in sight on the general principle that their rank must be superior , come to think of it, the thumb rule would be salute any insignia for E-1's, its the Sgt.'s who'd be making quick mental calculations counting stripes and stars from estoric branches
I actually didn't make E-2 myself until I'd been in 7 months, so suppose that lowly rank just seems strange to me now because of all the years I've been out of the service. Back in 1997 after getting a PC, dug out some old black and white Kodak Instamatic photos of my very young self taken in the barracks years ago and scanned them. Had to run the pics through a clean-up program to improve how they looked on a computer screen, but they came out pretty cool.

Here's one of me (most likely on a Sunday night after a 96-hour pass) waiting to pay the guy who owned barber clippers in the squad bay $2.00 to buzz my hair to a high-and-tight before formation the next morning. Note I've added arrows on this copy to show where you can (barely) see the Private First Class E-2 "mosquito wing" insignia on my OD utilities.

A true blast-from-the-past moment.
Attached Thumbnails
AIT02.jpg  

Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Cool photograph man! Surprised they had cameras when you were in, next you will be telling me indoor plumbing was present as well

Due to inherent differences in rank structure/responsibilities, Israelis make up ranks very fast compared to some others, IDF has Corporals after like 6 months enlistment, in India it takes years, with of course some exceptions being the infamous Lance Jacks for life

Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Cool photograph man! Surprised they had cameras when you were in, next you will be telling me indoor plumbing was present as well

Due to inherent differences in rank structure/responsibilities, Israelis make up ranks very fast compared to some others, IDF has Corporals after like 6 months enlistment, in India it takes years, with of course some exceptions being the infamous Lance Jacks for life
Was all of 17 years (and a few months) when that photo was taken and not ashamed to admit my mother and stepfather had to sign the recruiting papers before I could enlist because of being under 18.

Took a lot of ribbing from my girlfriend about this particular snapshot and some other photos taken around then. She said I looked like a cute girl with a short haircut () and not the lean, green, mean heart-breaker and life-taker I of course was()....or at least what I imagined my invincible self to be at the time.

That was the thanks I got for keeping her off the platoon hog board in boot camp.

(For those unfamiliar with what a hog board is, look it up!)

Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Haha I am aware of what it is, and here is the modern day variant a la Iraq -

Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Haha I am aware of what it is, and here is the modern day variant a la Iraq -
Had vaguely heard of this TV show, but never seen it and probably glad I haven't. Where are these guys supposedly located in the clip? Are they training before being deployed? Seems just a bit too verdant for Iraq and more like the backwoods of Camp Pendleton or Camp Lejeune.

Also: The character who had his girlfriend's picture ripped off is in dire need of a haircut (and an NCO no less!) as are one or two others as well.

I'd never even heard of Homeland, but got a chance to get the entire first season on Blu-Ray for only $20.00, so took a chance. After watching the first 2 episodes, still haven't decided whether to give the set away or watch the rest. The girl (Claire Danes) is good as is Mandy Patinkin, but once again we have so many ridiculous factual mistakes it's unreal and ruins whatever enjoyment I might possibly get over the storyline.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelli View Post
Had vaguely heard of this TV show, but never seen it and probably glad I haven't. Where are these guys supposedly located in the clip? Are they training before being deployed? Seems just a bit too verdant for Iraq and more like the backwoods of Camp Pendleton or Camp Lejeune.
No, I think its a FOB in Iraq supposedly, or I might be mistaken and it could be pre-deployment training in Kuwait, I recall it started there. Generation Kill is the show, HBO mini-series. The guy who wrote the story was a reporter embedded with the Division. The characters were based on real ones.

I liked the series , but then again having never served I didn't have to suspend disbelief, so it was enjoyable. Band of Brothers was another one I liked.

Any military show you'd like to give away may be sent to The Knaur Fund, Auckland

Israel Forum