Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > General > Sports > Hobby
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hobby Military Modelling, Non-military models, Photography, Military collectibles, non-military colectibles, travel,...etc

Old 01-14-2009, 03:41 PM

Grizzly is on a distinguished road
Default Early IDF uniforms

Hello all,

Have been looking online for photo reference of IDF soldiers, their uniforms and equipment from the early wars 48-56, as I am wanting to attempt some conversions to this time period for a modeling project.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Dragon

janetnjohn is on a distinguished road

early uniforms were a mismatch of what was available such as the british WW11 paratroopers helmet and desert gear-anything olive drab or sand colour
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1948 isreali.jpg (5.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: bmp untitledfdtedg.bmp (670.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

The uniforms, and the picture, shown are 1967, Six Day War era.

I am pretty sure they were pre-dated by others. Just don't have access to any yet.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Dragon

janetnjohn is on a distinguished road

I think 48-56 was pretty much anything they could find, interestingly, a lot of early equipment was german-smuggled through Czechoslovakia
Old 04-30-2010, 11:27 PM

vimana is on a distinguished road

Hi Grizzly,
I'm a model builder too. I've naturally ended up using some WW2 British figures, accessories and stowage because so much of it was inherited by the Israelis from leftover British stocks. Of course, early IDF gear really was a mishmash of stuff from all over, including the US. As a modeler you can appreciate this because it gives you a lot of latitude in choosing what you want to work with. Enjoy your freedom, because you'll have to be more particular when dealing with later IDF subjects, after things were more standardized. Fortunately, IDF subjects are pretty popular and there are many figures and accessory sets on the market these days.
For a good reference, you might try "Uniforms Illustrated No.12, Israeli Defence Forces 1948 to the Present" by Lee Russell and Sam Katz. It has a lot of photos and information about early Israeli forces, though most of the pictures aren't in color, of course. I found mine used on Amazon.com, I think it cost me around ten dollars. ood luck with your projects!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Dragon

grgnkat is on a distinguished road

As most have said, early uniforms were just about anything. Immigrants were some time given a rifle as they got off of the boat and taken to the front.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:23 AM

White_R34 is on a distinguished road

Adding full length images/photos would help this post. I have some and I'll look them up and post later.
Israel Forum