Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Self Defense
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Self Defense Martial arts, defending yourself, krav maga, firearms, weapons, survival, etc.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM

galil_556 is on a distinguished road
Default Soldiers with no guns...

SOME BODY CAN EXPLAIME WHY THE SOLDIERS OF THE IDF DO NOT HAVE A SIDEARME????, ONLY THE RIFLES HAVE(M16/GALIL/TAVOR)....
Old 04-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by galil_556 View Post
SOME BODY CAN EXPLAIME WHY THE SOLDIERS OF THE IDF DO NOT HAVE A SIDEARME????, ONLY THE RIFLES HAVE(M16/GALIL/TAVOR)....
Officers have both, certain units, based on need, do have sidearms.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Dragon

ishmael is on a distinguished road

I saw men in Navy 13 have pistols all the time. I had a knife. :)
Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 PM

sousana is on a distinguished road

Only in the United States will you see soldiers carrying both. Because of our unique history with handguns and close quarter combat, the military has seen fit to issue handguns seeing as how anything can happen on the battlefield and a handgun is better than no gun. I am a retired US Navy Corpsman, who served 17 of my 20 years with the US Marine Corps 2nd Marine Battalion as a Corpsman. Under the terms of the Geneva Conventions, Corpsmen are only issued handguns as they are considered defensive in nature. I was however schooled by my Gunnery Sergeant to pick up ANY available rifle on the battlefield as our enemies DO NOT observe the GC.

Last edited by sousana; 05-14-2013 at 10:37 PM..
Old 05-15-2013, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousana View Post
Only in the United States will you see soldiers carrying both. Because of our unique history with handguns and close quarter combat, the military has seen fit to issue handguns seeing as how anything can happen on the battlefield and a handgun is better than no gun. I am a retired US Navy Corpsman, who served 17 of my 20 years with the US Marine Corps 2nd Marine Battalion as a Corpsman. Under the terms of the Geneva Conventions, Corpsmen are only issued handguns as they are considered defensive in nature. I was however schooled by my Gunnery Sergeant to pick up ANY available rifle on the battlefield as our enemies DO NOT observe the GC.
Thanks for your service in the FMF, Doc! You were indeed schooled correctly (however unofficially of course...) because all that namby-pamby schmaltz about corpsmen are exempt from being shot at by enemy troops according to the Geneva Convention is in reality just a bunch of BS. Bet you didn't wear one of those Hollywood armbands or a steel pot with a big red cross (bulls-eye!) on it, either. Our corpsmen carried the .45 M1911's when I was in from '70-'81, but we also made sure they could use any weapon we humped with at the time. That included the M-72 LAW, M-79 grenade launcher and, if absolutely necessary, help with the squad M60 machine gun.

How did you manage to stay attached within the 2nd Marine Division for that long? (I'm assuming that's what you actually meant when you wrote "battalion".)

Old 05-10-2014, 03:11 AM
Dragon
Photobucket

Paparock is on a distinguished road

Roger on the big red bulls-eye! When my enemy starts obeying the Geneva Convention, I will start worrying about their "rights". No uniform, no GC compliance, no compassion for others then no mercy for you. My experience with the LAW was it was not reliable to fire on the first try always. Loved the M60 and that little thumper M79 but my favorite was the M21.
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”

Last edited by Paparock; 05-10-2014 at 03:17 AM..
Old 05-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Dragon

Archangel is on a distinguished road

Somebody explain to me the need for the op to use all caps?

But in reality it was explained to me by a veteran that the pistol is the modern day bayonet. If it comes down to actually using it in combat, something already went wrong.