Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Army Related Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Army Related Forum Topics about the Israeli armed forces, special forces, tanks, apc's, guns etc + world armies.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:08 PM

Snir is on a distinguished road
Default Shayetet 13

Shayetet 13, also known as S-13, is the IDFs naval commando unit , i think compareable to the Navy Seals, and considered to be one of the top 3 special units in the IDF along with Sayeret Matkal, and Sayeret Shaldag, and is one of the oldest Units and most vetran in the Israeli army, formed in 1949 based upon the naval brigade of the Jewish resistance group known as the "Hagana" (defence) to the British regime in what was once known as Palestine.

History:

During the 6-day war the unit was found the unit under trained. Several of the units' missions during the war failed, the most noticeable one was in May 6 1967, when six operators were captured and taken as POW during a covert mission. S'13 POWs were released more than six months later in January 1968.

In 1969 the unit was sent into Egyptian water, one of the most daring missions ever performed undersea, as three operators were killed and 10 more were badly injured during the Green Island Raid. In the 1970's the unit had undergone rebuilding with more focus placed on sea-to-land incursions and on effective training. More issues rose with other IDF SF units, which at the time suggested that that S'13 should only provide the transportation to the target and assistance in crossing water obstacles, while leaving the surface warfare to the other IDF SF units.

Another problem was that in the 1970's the unit's training guideline was that S'13 operators should master all types of warfare. So all operators learned both advance diving and boats usage, causing a lack of specialization. In addition, all of S'13 training at the time was done internally within the unit, which later led to communications issues with other IDF units.

In 1979 the unit was appointed a new CO, Ami Ayalon. After assuming command, Ayalon led a major reorganization in the unit's structure and training regime, which led to an increase in the training commonality between S'13 and other IDF SF units. Once the reorganization was completed, S'13 was larger, better trained and more combat ready than ever before.

this unit, along with Naval commando raids and underwater operations, is an anti terror unit which was used intensly through the 80's in Lebanon and demonstrated an excellent track record of dozens of successful operations each year, without casualties. Typical missions at the time were interdiction of terrorists' vessels, blowing up enemy headquarters and key facilities, conducting ambushes and planting explosives in terrorists routes.

In recent years, S'13 was heavily involved in the LIC in the Territories. Its operators conducted maritime missions such as interception of terrorists ships carrying weapons and explosives as well as numerous highly complex CT missions. Due to S'13 increased land warfare deployment, the unit now place more emphasis on land based CT and CQB.

Known failures:
On September 8, 1997 the unit suffered a serious blow during a raid in Lebanon, when it was caught in a Hezbollah ambush and 11 of its soldiers were killed, including the unit commander.

In recent years, it was discovered that S-13 veterans had high occurrence of cancer, probably due to training in the polluted Kishon River & Haifa Bay. A commission for investigating the matter didn't find statistical evidences that the diving in the Kishon caused the cancer. However, Minister of Defence Shaul Mofaz decided to compensate the divers' families in spite of the commission findings.

Trainning requierments:

S-13 training regime lasts a total of 20 months and is considered by many to be the most grueling training regime in the world,{see Guiness Book of records} primarily due to the land aspect of training. The unit also conducts extensive cross training with other foreign naval commando units, primarily the U.S. Navy SEALs.

The unit's training phase consists of:

Six months basic and advanced infantry training with one of the IDF infantry brigades.
Three weeks course at the IDF Parachuting School.
Preparing Phase - lasts three months and consists of advanced infantry and weapons training, basic elements of maritime warfare, operation of small ships, long swims, forced marches and land demolition.
Combat diving course - lasts four weeks during which the soldiers learn the basic elements of combat diving such as how to cope with cold, diving in dark and clouded water and how to survive high risk underwater situations (e.g. pressure, depth).
Combat diving course - lasts four weeks during which the soldiers learn the basic elements of combat diving such as how to cope with cold, diving in dark and clouded water and how to survive high risk underwater situations (e.g. pressure, depth).
Dedicated Phase - lasts almost a year during which the soldiers learn advance diving techniques with closed circuit diving systems, underwater demolitions and weapons and sea-to-land incursions (via diving, ships, submarines and parachuting into sea). Also included in this phase is a three weeks course in IDF Counter Terror Warfare School. The soldiers then learned how to perform maritime CT operations on ships, oil platforms and near coast buildings. During this phase the soldiers are also divided between the unit's three specialized companies based on their capabilities and personal interest, and train on their future specialty.

S'13 is divided into three specialized companies:

Raids - handles sea-to-land incursions, assassinations, maritime hostage rescue and CT.
Underwater - handles all underwater missions such as hydrographic reconnaissance (underwater survey of possible landing locations), securing beaches prior to landing, underwater demolition against enemy ships and harbors and maritime intelligence gathering.
  • Above Water - specializes in the operation of S'13 fast attack boats and in cooperation with the Israeli Navy ships and submarines. The Above Water company primary mission is to bring the other two companies safely and accurately to their targets.
All three companies work closely with each other in joint missions and support each other operations.

List of famous S-13 operations:

June 1967: 7 Israeli frogmen in Alexandria harbor sank an Egyptian minesweeper and were captured.
Between the 1967 and 1973 wars, Squadron 13 performed about 80 missions.
21 July 1969, Operation Bulmus 6: Ze'ev Almog with 20 frogmen attacked Green Island at the south end of the Suez Canal, where Egypt had garrisoned artillery. All artillery was destroyed. Many surviving Egyptian garrison men were killed by their own side's shore artillery which fired too late.
1973: Operation Spring of Youth "Aviv Neurim".
1973: (Yom Kippur War): Finding and destroying several Egyptian torpedo boats with limpet mines, clearing the way for an Israeli armored force landing in Egypt the next day. Squadron 13 used sea sleds and spent nearly 20 hours in the water.
2002: Capturing the Santorini arms smuggling ship.
2002: Capturing the Karin A arms smuggling ship.
2002: Capturing the Abu-Yusuf arms smuggling ship
2006: A nighttime raid on Tyre targeting the Hezbollah cell responsible for a rocket attack on Hadera earlier that day ( During the 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict, Shayetet 13 participated in the August 4 2006 attack on Tyre, Lebanon, killing multiple Hezbollah personel on the second floor of a residential building. Flotilla 13 suffered ten wounded during the operation and helicopter extraction, and the operation was considered a success. The same city block was revisited two days later for a mop-up operation)

Youtube clip actually showing the commando operation from an UAV point of view ()

Information taken from: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shayetet_13#History)

And for the ending.. some pictures (credit to http://www.isayeret.com)

Shayetet 13 operator armed with mini-uzi during maritime trainning.

S'13' former CO Shaoul Ziv (right) during joint trainning exercise with the US navy SEALs (left) Puerto Rico 1973.

Up next.. Sayeret Matkal.

George Patton:"Live for something rather than die for nothing."
Old 11-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Dragon

Rascal is on a distinguished road

I'm just starting to learn more about the Israeli commando units.

Snir can you add some pictures please.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I'm just starting to learn more about the Israeli commando units.

Snir can you add some pictures please.

Credit to http://www.isayeret.com

Old 11-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Dragon

Rascal is on a distinguished road

There is a problem with this thread.I keep getting a restricted logon pop-up everytime I open this thread,and the pictures don't show up

There must be some secrurety issues for the related material.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
There is a problem with this thread.I keep getting a restricted logon pop-up everytime I open this thread,and the pictures don't show up

There are pictures in here: http://www.isayeret.com/content/unit...t/gallery1.htm

I noted this is the source of which i got the pictures.. credit and so.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:07 AM

Quote:

Well.. keep in mind, Shaldag, Matkal and S-13 are all classified... as in top top secret,so not only you wont see any of their faces, but they are not allowed to even wear their insignia inside Israel and in public, you know the top officer that was killed after the cease fire in a Sayeret Matkal raid in Baalbek? even after his death, his picture was not allowed to be published in the public... i think that says it all if even after he was killed in action the army does not allow the release of his picture, while during the Lebanons conflict pictures of killed soldiers were released almost immediately, he was 36 years old and was said to have participated in countless operations... he was one of the best, probably Israel lost a future PM or other political figure, reminds me of Jonatan Netanyahu who led the operation in Entebbe and was the only Sayeret Matkal man that was killed there, Emanuel Moreno (R.I.P), wish our commanding officers were as our soldiers in the field.

Last edited by Snir; 11-02-2006 at 03:36 AM..
Old 03-05-2007, 08:38 PM

Snauhi is on a distinguished road

Only people from Israel can watch Isayeret for free.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:12 AM

sabradan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauhi View Post
Only people from Israel can watch Isayeret for free.
Even in Israel, its not free unless you are a sayeret graduate.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:48 PM

Danishzionist is on a distinguished road
Default Shayetet 13

I have read a bit about the shayetet, they are top notch SF unit
But did they get into trouble in Lebanon a few years back..... seems to remeber a 60 minutes clip about being forces to leave somebody behind or is that not true?
Old 07-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Dragon

HideNSeek is on a distinguished road

I don't remember anyone "being left behind". I remember they were active in Tyre and attacked a compound with a firefight ensuing. A few soldiers were wounded (was one of them killed I'm not sure?), but the mission was accomplished. It would have been easier to just demolish the whole thing from the air, but the IDF likes to risk the lives of its soldiers to protect those of ėts enemies (i.e `civilians who act as shields).
Old 07-14-2008, 12:51 AM
Dragon

joejd12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideNSeek View Post
I don't remember anyone "being left behind". I remember they were active in Tyre and attacked a compound with a firefight ensuing. A few soldiers were wounded (was one of them killed I'm not sure?), but the mission was accomplished. It would have been easier to just demolish the whole thing from the air, but the IDF likes to risk the lives of its soldiers to protect those of ėts enemies (i.e `civilians who act as shields).

you stole the words out of my mouth... im even going to use that as my signature if you dont mind....

in fact, things like the cancellation of nohal shachen (neighbour protocol), refusal to call in an airstrike and save the lives of our forces so we dont have to risk killing "innocent" (and i say innocent cause i believe over 95% of palestinians either support or aid the terrorists and hate us, and not only that, they often stay close to terrorists to purposefully act as human shields, sometimes even going so far as to wave their babies over their heads so the UAVs can see them) civilians etc. are my primary concern regarding enlisting (or in my case its more like volunteering because i dont crrently live in israel and am therefore not REQUIRED to enlist, though i probably will anyways), because if i do end up enlisting i plan on going into a kravi battalion and ill be damned if i die because my commanders were afraid an airstrike would hit an old man whos ferrying ammunition back and forth to the terrorists and send us in instead... (or something of the like)
Old 07-14-2008, 02:04 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejd12 View Post
[/color][/size]

you stole the words out of my mouth... im even going to use that as my signature if you dont mind....

in fact, things like the cancellation of nohal shachen (neighbour protocol), refusal to call in an airstrike and save the lives of our forces so we dont have to risk killing "innocent" (and i say innocent cause i believe over 95% of palestinians either support or aid the terrorists and hate us, and not only that, they often stay close to terrorists to purposefully act as human shields, sometimes even going so far as to wave their babies over their heads so the UAVs can see them) civilians etc. are my primary concern regarding enlisting (or in my case its more like volunteering because i dont crrently live in israel and am therefore not REQUIRED to enlist, though i probably will anyways), because if i do end up enlisting i plan on going into a kravi battalion and ill be damned if i die because my commanders were afraid an airstrike would hit an old man whos ferrying ammunition back and forth to the terrorists and send us in instead... (or something of the like)
Go ahead use it if you want. Its changes from government to government, but this one is hyper-sensitive to both internal (i.e leftist/Arab) and external criticism (i.e France might be upset or something). So it it will trade military accomplishment for political chauvinism.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:35 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Go ahead use it if you want. Its changes from government to government, but this one is hyper-sensitive to both internal (i.e leftist/Arab) and external criticism (i.e France might be upset or something). So it it will trade military accomplishment for political chauvinism.

yep... you seem to know a lot about these things are you israeli?

and the groups you described can go to places i cant describe on this forum for all i care if they want to complain about my opinions... (i have to argue about them with my family members enough anyways, if those people really want to test my arguments on this forum, i say bring it on, at least it wont be my mom whos trying to convince me that not all the arabs are bad)

p.s.- and thx for letting me use that as a signature, but i think ill just go with another one (i just gotta find the right translation for it) because when it comes down to it, i really do trust tzahal and the israeli people, its just most of the governments weve had so far that i have problems with so i dont want to convey the wrong message....
Old 07-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejd12 View Post
yep... you seem to know a lot about these things are you israeli?

and the groups you described can go to places i cant describe on this forum for all i care if they want to complain about my opinions... (i have to argue about them with my family members enough anyways, if those people really want to test my arguments on this forum, i say bring it on, at least it wont be my mom whos trying to convince me that not all the arabs are bad)

p.s.- and thx for letting me use that as a signature, but i think ill just go with another one (i just gotta find the right translation for it) because when it comes down to it, i really do trust tzahal and the israeli people, its just most of the governments weve had so far that i have problems with so i dont want to convey the wrong message....
Well, in truth the blame lies on the Israeli population, say all you want about those groups but they are furthering their interests. Its the Israeli population that supported the evacuation from Gaza, and that elected Olmert (etc). Hence if they are suddenly all shocked by what is happening, well, its their own fault (its not like the first time they elected the "peace" camp and it never worked before) .

As for the "not all Arab muslims are bad" remark, of course that's true (some even help Israel). But that doesn't really matter because we dealing with reality here and its the majority that matters (we can't tell the Arabs who support us to line up on one side and the "bad terrorists" ones to line up on the other) . Not all Germans were Nazis either, didn't stop the allies from leveling Berlin. The US also dropped nuclear weapons on Japan. Its sad but it saved American lives. Fact of the matter is, these things aren't savory, but thats war, and in the end, "your side" is the only side that matters, everything else is politics.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Well, in truth the blame lies on the Israeli population, say all you want about those groups but they are furthering their interests. Its the Israeli population that supported the evacuation from Gaza, and that elected Olmert (etc). Hence if they are suddenly all shocked by what is happening, well, its their own fault (its not like the first time they elected the "peace" camp and it never worked before) .

As for the "not all Arab muslims are bad" remark, of course that's true (some even help Israel). But that doesn't really matter because we dealing with reality here and its the majority that matters (we can't tell the Arabs who support us to line up on one side and the "bad terrorists" ones to line up on the other) . Not all Germans were Nazis either, didn't stop the allies from leveling Berlin. The US also dropped nuclear weapons on Japan. Its sad but it saved American lives. Fact of the matter is, these things aren't savory, but thats war, and in the end, "your side" is the only side that matters, everything else is politics.

good eloquent explanatioin of exactly what i think....

the israeli public is mostly center-right winged (at least im pretty sure it is), the problem is that just like in the US (or maybe BECAUSE its like that in the us since we like to imitate our great, big ally so much) the left has completely taken over the media sources....

everything from news channels to our own israeli made movies such as BOFUR and THE BUBBLE (which never get made unless they convey a "certain" message) to newspapers like haaretz, which doesnt let a week go by without some story that wouldnt have shamed the PLO...

and the other problem is that as one of the founders of "peace now" (or shalom achshav), a group that thinks that peace can be negotiated by trading away everything we have and then trusting the arabs not to slit our throats, the extreme left has managed to impress its views and idealogical beliefs upon the political center and has therefor become inconsequential....

the left likes to say that our greatest leaders were leftists, but if you look at their defense views, youll find that even those on the most extreme fringe of the left back at israels foundation and all teh way up to golda meir were much closer to the extreme right political spectrum today....

and as to how its the israeli public's fault about the evacuation from gaza, thats true too, but it can also be blamed at what i described above...

i was around 11 years old at the time of the evacuation and i was all for it (of course no one really cared what i thought, i was just a llittle kid) because i believed that once we got out we could simply destroy them at will without being bogged down and losing countless fine men for no reason....

but that was the message that was drummed into every israeli over the course of months if not years before the evacuation by the media, they all said, "once we evacuate therell be a clear destination where we can target the terrorists" and "once we evacuate we can prove to the world that theyre not really attacking us because were occupying them but will always do so no matter what, and then well be able to destroy the terrorist network with international support"... of course there were also many people who said that all it would do is bring the quassam rockets closer to home and a better organized terrorist network, but the media (with the help of the mitnachalim, or israeli citizens who resided in so caleld illegal settlements in gaza and the west bank, who have the reputation of being religious zealots as they are mostly ultra orthodox) managed to protray these people as being ultra orthodox lunatics....
Old 07-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

In order to access Isayeret, you need to input your IDF dog tag number as well as where and when you served. This controls the quality of the information. If you have an open board, you never really know who is posting and who are what they actually are or aren't.

Like on this board where there is an incredibel amount of American idiomatic phrases used by all these Israelis.

Why do I mention this? Because of the charge of IDF officers liking to risk the lives of our soldiers to protect our enemies. Shame on you. There is no IDF command "CHARGE". There is only the command "FOLLOW ME". To make a statement like the one made, it is now appropriate to state where and when you actually served to back up your slander. And what happened to the officer who you witnessed risking the lives of our children after you reported it.

As to the idea that Israel should kill all the arabs and let God sort out he good ones, well, I'll write that off to the zealousness of youth - premilitary service.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
In order to access Isayeret, you need to input your IDF dog tag number as well as where and when you served. This controls the quality of the information. If you have an open board, you never really know who is posting and who are what they actually are or aren't.

Like on this board where there is an incredibel amount of American idiomatic phrases used by all these Israelis.

Why do I mention this? Because of the charge of IDF officers liking to risk the lives of our soldiers to protect our enemies. Shame on you. There is no IDF command "CHARGE". There is only the command "FOLLOW ME". To make a statement like the one made, it is now appropriate to state where and when you actually served to back up your slander. And what happened to the officer who you witnessed risking the lives of our children after you reported it.

As to the idea that Israel should kill all the arabs and let God sort out he good ones, well, I'll write that off to the zealousness of youth - premilitary service.
Hi Rafi,

Not sure if your referring to me. I appreciate the vigor your protecting the IDF with, but your kind of extrapolating. My problem is not so much with IDF officers, but with all the politics which seep into policy. I can't say that I was in the most recent Lebanon war (sadly, some family members were). But even when I was in Israel there, I remember orders "like don't shoot unless your shot at first", which meant if you someone was aiming at you (not shooting), you still couldn't fire, because it might be a toy or what not. In other words if you take a shot because someone is aiming, and it ends up being a toy or even just empty, its all on you (great policy during Rabin's time).

Now, during the most recent Lebanon conflict, I can only take the words of who I know, I was not there. But I was told from good people that it was one big mess, with politics trumping everything. In the beggining they couldn't shoot at human shields, even if there was someone shooting from nearybe the shields (they had to try and maneuver around or some crap like that). Later on they were actually allowed to shoot through them, if their life was in danger, but in the beggining it was vague as can be.

The last few hours were a big show, with no dicernable purpose but to show the world that Israel won (did it work?). How many lives were lost after everyone knew the ceasfire was coming, and why was an advance ordered.

I think that thing in Tyre was common knowledge, they were firing rockets from a residential compound (actually there was another reason but anyway) and Israel didn't want massive civilian casualties by bombing it, thus the raid (and Israeli risk).

Lastly, about the "Follow me", apparently that didn't apply to everyone in the war, as some chose to go "hi-tech" and watch everything on lcd's and give orders from a remote location. There was a big scandal in Israel about that I believe.

Oh, and I just want to mention this, trading everything for dead bodies (if the "exchange" happens) puts the lives of soldiers in danger. Hamas now knows, that they can kill Shalit and still get a handsome return, I really hope Israel is ready for the numerous kidnappings (and murder) attempts on soldiers in an effort to trade them (or their bodies).

Hey, maybe I'm wrong, and everything is just great.

Lastly, about the Arabs. By no means should we try massacre anyone (that's idiotic/barbaric), but if we are in a state of war, unfortunatly the innocent will die, and we need to accept that.

Last edited by HideNSeek; 07-15-2008 at 02:02 AM..
Old 07-15-2008, 02:44 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Hi Rafi,

Not sure if your referring to me. I appreciate the vigor your protecting the IDF with, but your kind of extrapolating. My problem is not so much with IDF officers, but with all the politics which seep into policy. I can't say that I was in the most recent Lebanon war (sadly, some family members were). But even when I was in Israel there, I remember orders "like don't shoot unless your shot at first", which meant if you someone was aiming at you (not shooting), you still couldn't fire, because it might be a toy or what not. In other words if you take a shot because someone is aiming, and it ends up being a toy or even just empty, its all on you (great policy during Rabin's time).

Now, during the most recent Lebanon conflict, I can only take the words of who I know, I was not there. But I was told from good people that it was one big mess, with politics trumping everything. In the beggining they couldn't shoot at human shields, even if there was someone shooting from nearybe the shields (they had to try and maneuver around or some crap like that). Later on they were actually allowed to shoot through them, if their life was in danger, but in the beggining it was vague as can be.

The last few hours were a big show, with no dicernable purpose but to show the world that Israel won (did it work?). How many lives were lost after everyone knew the ceasfire was coming, and why was an advance ordered.

I think that thing in Tyre was common knowledge, they were firing rockets from a residential compound (actually there was another reason but anyway) and Israel didn't want massive civilian casualties by bombing it, thus the raid (and Israeli risk).

Lastly, about the "Follow me", apparently that didn't apply to everyone in the war, as some chose to go "hi-tech" and watch everything on lcd's and give orders from a remote location. There was a big scandal in Israel about that I believe.

Oh, and I just want to mention this, trading everything for dead bodies (if the "exchange" happens) puts the lives of soldiers in danger. Hamas now knows, that they can kill Shalit and still get a handsome return, I really hope Israel is ready for the numerous kidnappings (and murder) attempts on soldiers in an effort to trade them (or their bodies).

Hey, maybe I'm wrong, and everything is just great.

Lastly, about the Arabs. By no means should we try massacre anyone (that's idiotic/barbaric), but if we are in a state of war, unfortunatly the innocent will die, and we need to accept that.
i believe rafi was talking at least partially to me too, and i think what youve said in your post pretty much encapsules everything i was going to say in reply to rafi (though once again, much more eloquent)...

p.s.- rafi, its not the officers and mostly not even the top brass of tzahal that im blaming for un-necessarily risking our soldiers, its thepolitical leadership that i doubt...

heres what i said-

"p.s.- and thx for letting me use that as a signature, but i think ill just go with another one (i just gotta find the right translation for it) because when it comes down to it, i really do trust tzahal and the israeli people, its just most of the governments weve had so far that i have problems with so i dont want to convey the wrong message.... "
Old 02-27-2009, 09:36 PM

bdholtzman is on a distinguished road

I am not in Israel either, but I do recall an incident a few years back where a soldier was shot defending the Tomb of the Patriarch, and rather than risk killing the Palestinians who started the fighting, his comrades got to watch him bleed to death. I think that's the kind of thing that makes people think that we value the lives of our enemies over the lives of our children.

I don't know if that's a true story, and I would love to be mistaken about it. I also don't think that there is any policy, written or otherwise, that requires any IDF command to sacrifice our soldiers to save their lives. I believe that any such actions are more in keeping with the honorable stance that all human life is sacred, friend or foe. If we are attacking it is we who are taking the risk, and therefore, required to be as protective as possible of the people we are attacking.

There was a war fought after Shalit, Goldwasser, and Regev were kidnapped, and they were not returned. Finally there was trade for the dead bodies of Regev and Goldwasser for how many living terrorists? Now another war, no Shalit, and how many living terrorists do we trade for a young man who no one has heard from in 2 years? I won't say what I feel the outcome will be, it's bad luck to say bad things - but given the recent experience, it is difficult to remain positive.

There is a similar situation in Sri Lanka - you don't hear about it because they aren't "Zionists." But do they tiptoe in and put their soldiers in harm's way? Heck no. They use bombs and missiles, blasting away, and don't care about the collateral damage at all -military or civilian. Most armies don't, including the US. You do what you need to do. The violence in Sri Lanka barely got a mention in the paper, and you would think the entire world had nothing better to do than worry about the terrorists in Gaza and THEIR rights.

I am an American, I am Jewish, and therefore consider Israel my second home, even though I haven't been there yet. I consider everyone who serves in the defense of my country to be serving on my personal behalf; for our people, our land, my children, and me. I would never imply that any one of them would "sacrifice" our children for the enemy, and I'm sure that's never the way anyone thinks about it. The politicians just may not be smart enough to realize that's what they are asking them to do.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:27 AM

coleeast is on a distinguished road

What are the requirements for Sayeret? I'm a 21 year old American Jew but will be 22 (possibly almost 23 but probably not) when I join. I'm extremely physically fit and used to be an amateur boxer. If anyone from the IDF has information I'd love to talk to them and get some training advice. Thanks!
Israel Forum