Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Self Defense
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Self Defense Martial arts, defending yourself, krav maga, firearms, weapons, survival, etc.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:24 AM
Dragon

Archangel is on a distinguished road
Default Vepr .308

Hey guys. Figured some of you might like to see this.

My VEPR .308

Chambered for: .308 Winchester

Barrel: 20 inch, tapered, threaded 14:1 LH, 1:12 twist rate

Magazine: 5 round polymer magazine (In a dealer package, they threw in a US made 20 round magazine)

Trigger: Tapco G2, Single Hook

Stock: Walnut, thumbhole style with cheek rest

Front Sight: Integrated, one piece gas block and front sight.

Rear Sight: Notch sight, flip style, 100 yard and 300 yard

Receiver: Stamped steel, based on the RPK, Semi-Auto only.

Manufacturer: Molot

I'm looking forward to hunting with it this year. Should be fun. :)

Last edited by Archangel; 10-13-2012 at 03:31 AM..
Old 10-13-2012, 03:40 AM
Dragon
Photobucket

Paparock is on a distinguished road

Looks nice.
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”

Old 10-13-2012, 04:00 AM
Gold Member

Topmaul is on a distinguished road

The Vepr is a great rifle, it is bad ass. I have been wanting one for a long time I'd say it's competitive with any semi auto 308. I have fired Vepr 7.62x39 and it shot rings around my Saiga 7.62x39 it's a very accurate AK and the Saiga is no slouch for an AK.

I can't recommend the Vepr too much it's a great gun.
His rucksack weighs what he weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him
The True believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'... he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700... he is home.
He knows only the cause...
Now, who wants to quit?
Old 10-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparock View Post
Looks nice.
Thanks. Not done with it yet, it'll be a while but I'm gonna put a new stock and a pistol grip on it with a new foregrip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topmaul View Post
The Vepr is a great rifle, it is bad ass. I have been wanting one for a long time I'd say it's competitive with any semi auto 308. I have fired Vepr 7.62x39 and it shot rings around my Saiga 7.62x39 it's a very accurate AK and the Saiga is no slouch for an AK.

I can't recommend the Vepr too much it's a great gun.
I haven't fired it yet but I can tell they really put thought in designing this rifle.

They used the telescoping spring guide rod from the Galil I've noticed. And the top cover is on solid too, just like the Galil, even though it has no optic on the top cover. The action charges as smoothly as the Galil too. They did beef up the bolt I noticed, they also thinned out the stem compared to a basic 5.56 Galil. I noticed they also borrowed the shape of the ejection port for the top cover from the FAL.

The dream Semi-Auto .308 for me is the Galil .308 they're rare to come by here. I could build one but the bolts are pretty much non-existent. If they exist, they're accounted for as part of a working rifle somewhere.

The VEPR handles VERY well. I was shocked when I picked it up. It didn't seem as heavy as it probably is. I think I'm going to like it. :)
Old 10-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Dragon

grgnkat is on a distinguished road

Nice looking rifle. I also wanted a Galil in 308/762X51 I already have a couple of Galils in 223. I ended up with a Harder in 308. Looks like a gun from planet of the apes but it still is a Galil. I just was not going to pay the price they are asking for a Galil in 308.

I payed something like $1400 for the Harder, my two Galils in 223 i payed $2700 and $2900 for them but a Galil in 308 runs about $4000, just too much for me.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Dragon

ishmael is on a distinguished road

I can not imagine I carried 4000 dollars around south Lebanon.! ;)
Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Dragon

Ishmael, consider yourself fortunate. There are guys here in the states that would do no telling what to get their hands on a .308 Galil. :)

I didn't even pay a grand for my 5.56 Galil. I take it you bought two of the earlier sold galils grgnkat? I payed like 700 something for mine.

However rest assured if you have the earlier ones, they retain their value. Century Arms International built mine and some do not have much faith in their build quality. Only thing I can say is I own 3 other rifles built by Century and they all work, my 5.56 Galil is no different, shoots it all, begs for more.

I'm having to save up for ammo. I'm not gonna just go dump the ammo I have, it's for hunting. I'll be hunting deer this year with my VEPR .308. In my state I can hunt with any size magazine I like as long as I don't put more than 10 rounds in it. I also don't wanna lug a 20 round mag around so I'll be using the factory 5 round mag for it. :)
Old 10-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Dragon

Ishmael, your galil would bring big money in the states, if it could be imported, I assume that it was full auto, plus semi auto. Yes I would like to have a Galil in 308/762X51 but it just too darn expensive. That is why I bought a Harder, It is a Galil with a different stock, looks like Planet of the Apes, but it is made in Israel.

Yes Archangle both of my 223 Galil's are made by IMI. I have a thing about Israel.
I have heard nothing but good things about CIA'S Galoni.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Dragon

The only issue I have with my Galil is the front sight. One of the screws (flat head) tries sometimes to back out under recoil. Someone put in a screw that was on the -side and seems to have escaped the allowable tolerances. If it were 1 or 2 maybe 3 thousandths bigger in diameter, it might have actually threaded correctly. That or someone over bored the hole and instead of checking the tolerances, threaded it. It can still work, just might need a little blue loctite.

But yeah it's funny, if you ask on the street about century rifles, you get a different set of opinions than you do online. I'll trust on the street. Same is true with Kimber. I personally own a Kimber, it's nice and so far, eats all the ammo I've put in it and begged for more. The bad opinions for Kimber started when they were trying something new, it bit them in the rear-end pretty bad, their credibility was starting to suffer so they made the switch back to John Moses Browning's 1911 A1 style design. When they did, the problems went away. I have one of the newer ones and having seen the ones that went bad, I can spot them really easy. S&W figured out where Kimber messed up so that's why their pistols, which are fundamentally similar but with different specs, works.

Yeah I know about the Hadar and Hadar II Galils. I've seen some pictures of them. They don't look half bad.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Dragon

Archangel..... The next thing on our list should be a Kareen. The Kareen is an Israeli copy of the Hi Power, they sell for much less than a regular Hi Power. You can find them on Gunbroker.com for much less than $300.00 delivered to your FFL.

I have two, one is Excellent re-park with a normal hammer and one is used, but very little with a ring type hammer. I understand they were made to eat Uzi ammo.

I bought both of mine from Cole.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:56 AM
Dragon

Yeah I've heard good things about the Kareen. I know of another person online that owns one. Would love to have one with a hard chrome coating, it would be great all polished up with some custom grips. Been meaning to get a 9mm pistol. Sounds like a perfect excuse.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Dragon

ishmael is on a distinguished road

Hi powers are great! I think I saw an S13 guy with a Kareen once! He was coming out of the water near Haifa. Pistol must be durable!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Dragon

It is. It was designed by John Moses Browning, who also designed the 1911 which has seen combat for over 100 years and counting (USMC just ordered about 6000 more 1911s.)

I'd like to see one with the "commander" style hammer, I really like them on the 1911s.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Dragon

Got it close to the way I want it now. :)

It now has a US made wood stock adapter, a polymer Kvar warsaw length stock, US made pistol grip and a US made polymer foregrip.

Behind it is my hunting camo, Realtree AP camo. Can't wait to pop the 5 round mag on it and hunt with it. :D