Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Self Defense
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Self Defense Martial arts, defending yourself, krav maga, firearms, weapons, survival, etc.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:28 PM

TV-PressPass is on a distinguished road
Default My Tavor in the Canadian Rockies

Hi there, just thought I'd share.
I'm from Canada, and despite our draconian gun laws we're lucky to get Tavor rifles available for civilian purchase. Un-registered and un-restricted even! Unlike any M4 variant or AR-15. So of course I had to have one.

The TAR-21 is far and away the nicest rifle I've ever owned. It does very well for me. I've built a handful of videos which I was showing the Meprolight guys at Shot Show in Las Vegas. They were interested, and I hope that means some people on this forum will be too!

Oh dear. It looks like I can't post links or videos until I hit 15 posts! I should probably get on that. There's a link to my channel in my signature though!

Questions! How many IDF units now carry the different versions of the Tavor? I know the Golani brigade rolled over, but that was a while back.

Are the meprolight and mars sights still standard issue? I found the stock red-dot washed out in bright daylight and I've been trading optics setups ever since.

Are the civilian models available to civilians in Israel? I would hope so!

And if anyone has questions for me, I love to talk gear so pipe up!

In HD: vimeo.com/channels/blackrifles
Good Ol' Youtube username: WildGunmenOsborne

Me is who,
Who is me,
He is she,
and dogs a fish

Last edited by TV-PressPass; 05-10-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Old 05-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Welcome to our site.

I did watch a video of yours, and was impressed with your modifications.

Regarding your questions about IDF units and weapons. As you know, with persistance you can find almost any information on the internet. Some of it is even true. However, our policy here is one that is unique in militiary sites.

We will not entertain nor discuss current weapon assignments of active units within the IDF. You will have to live with that.

You will also shortly receive a notice about links in signatures for our new members. A quick look at our TOC will be instructive there.

Like many others in the reserve structure of the IDF, I am familiar with the Tavor, but the reality is, I will most likely never be issued one. It is the simple economics. M4s are simply a commodity, and an incredibly cheap one at that. Long long gone are the days of the 27 cent round. China knocks them out for less than a penny. So the reality is, that the M4 is going to be around for the future. Yes, many units are receiving the Tavor, but implementation is years behind schedule.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
We will not entertain nor discuss current weapon assignments of active units within the IDF
That makes sense.

Am I still good to chat about what my gear and what I'm doing over here?

Me is who,
Who is me,
He is she,
and dogs a fish
Old 05-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

We are all "enthusiasts" who appreciate weapons.

You can also get a feel for what we will and won't discuss over time.

There are a number of posters, like myself, who are still either in sadir (regular service), keva (profession army), or miluim (reserves). We'll talk, but are much more conservative here than in other locations on the internet. My last active duty (reserves) was August and I am slated to return this August as well.

Yes, we would love to hear more information abou your modifications. For example, I find the Tavor to be a terribly unbalanced weapon, though I am greatful that they took left handedness into consideration in it's creation.

Have your additions helped or made it worse?

And any opinions on it's balance?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:23 PM

Balance!? We love the balance! One of the phrases constantly used the Canadian community to describe the Tavor is that "it points nice" referring to the bullpup design that improves the feel by tucking the weight of the rifle right over your bicep and bringing the barrel weight in close.

When you compare to an M4 with a plastic stock and a metal rail up front . . . the Tavor is generally considered much better because the weight is closer to you.

Worse still, a Swiss Arms rifle, which has a bipod build into the hand guard because its 20" barrel means you want to have it supported for most firing positions.

But keep in mind we're using longer barrels and lighter magazines, so maybe thats part of it.

Me is who,
Who is me,
He is she,
and dogs a fish
Old 05-11-2012, 01:34 AM
Dragon

Archangel is on a distinguished road

Yeah for 5.56 I like to be using Magpul Pmags. There is a company here in the US that is tooling up to build the Tavor with the help of our brother-nation Israel. It's been a long time coming and the last company before it dropped the ball. I'll be more than happy to buy one. I may end up using E-mags to load up in the Tavor here, I dunno.

As for my set-up I'll be eventually, God willing be running the standard "US" set up with iron sights on back up and an optic. I'll prolly run a Picatinny style A2 type of rear sight without the carry handle like I have on my gas piston AR, they are generally more accurate than the normal flip ups. As for the front sight I'll prolly get a basic flip up, it'll work well. If I need more visual of my optic I can just flip the sight over to the close range ring on the rear sight.

I wasn't so sure about Pmags till I read the account of a Marine who was also an instructor out in the sandbox. If you know any Marine you know they love to destroy things so long as no one cares or they don't get stuck with the bill. lol So with Magpul telling them they'll replace for free any mag that screws up no matter what they do to it, the Marine tells his other Marines to go ape **** on the mags. lol In a barrage of real world tests, the Pmags did BETTER than the USGI mags in all tests but one. The only way to destroy a Pmag beyond the ability to function is to apparently melt it or have it half loaded and run it over with a heavy truck. Both of which would likely be dumb luck in the real world. One guy even used a Pmag as a shovel, digging a hole in the sand with it, needless to say the mag still worked. Made a believer out of me that's for sure.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Ah! But P-Mags are not made to run in the Tavor sir!

They have the same issue as the SCAR does. P-Mag lips grab and touch the bolt-hold-open on an Israeli Tavor. If they are not modified they can damage your bolt!

Me is who,
Who is me,
He is she,
and dogs a fish
Old 05-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Dragon

Archangel is on a distinguished road

Yeah that's why the E-mags were created by Magpul, to address the different tolerences of 5.56 magwells from foreign sources.

However, you may be interested to know that Charles Daly is working with IDI/IMI. (That's the company I was trying to think of.) Not only that but they are also going to make the US Tavors, Pmag compatible.

So I might get to use Pmags after all. :)
Old 08-10-2012, 12:14 AM

kermit150261 is on a distinguished road
Default New Tavor

Just got mine today !!! SWEET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tavor-EOTech.jpg (340.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Tavor-Leupold.jpg (356.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-10-2012, 01:50 AM
Dragon

ishmael is on a distinguished road

I am still prefer the gallil in 7,62mm. With wooden stock and bipod. I never was to enter a building therefor I may have poor reasoning. The galil was superior to anything I ever had to shoot as a military weapon. I do not like plastic. Plastic does not like cold, hot, abuse, oil, sand, however, wood and metal seem to take them as a minor inconvenience.

One question, how does the travor shoot in prone position?

Last edited by ishmael; 08-10-2012 at 01:56 AM..
Old 08-10-2012, 03:13 AM

Default For Ishmael

Here is my galil model 332 ( 7.62X51 nato ) With her new sister the Tavor .
Very accurate rifle , i use to blast groundhog at over 150 yards with it before it went prohibited around 1991 or so . ( I live in Canada )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Galil-Tavor.jpg (324.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-10-2012, 03:25 AM
Dragon

Kermit fond memories! You have on with M-14 magazine very nice! do you eat groundhog?
I knew a drusi fellow who liked to eat procupine!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:47 AM

Yes , I did eat groundhog ... Very good in stew . Taste like wild rabbit ... lol .
Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 PM

Kermit I am very jealous of your Galil. It makes me sad that they can't be sold or shot anymore!

I did a video recently of trying a few different sling setups on my Tavor. What do you use? The IDF just uses the factory sling I think.

Me is who,
Who is me,
He is she,
and dogs a fish
Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 PM

Default Galil

Yes , just too bad I can't shoot the Galil anymore . Around 1985 , I was paying 1500 $ Cdn for it . I got time to shoot maybe 3000 rounds before the law changed . I use to **** some older guys at the shooting range when they was trying to set there scope before moose hunting . A full 20 rounds mag can be noisy ... lol
Here is an other pic of the Galil and with some other semi-auto I got .
Take care peoples .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02655.jpg (236.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02753.jpg (374.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Dragon

Nice colection of rifles. I only own one rifle, and a pistol.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:33 AM

fayez is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb photo

Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayez View Post

In my veins runs the blood of the poets and wise men of old, and it is my desire to come to you and receive, but I shall not come with empty hands - Kahlil Gibran
Old 09-08-2012, 04:47 PM

Default Sling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV-PressPass View Post
Kermit I am very jealous of your Galil. It makes me sad that they can't be sold or shot anymore!

I did a video recently of trying a few different sling setups on my Tavor. What do you use? The IDF just uses the factory sling I think.

I just didn't install the sling . Just don't need it yet at the shooting range .
Last sunday I got my first try on reloading for the Tavor ... Good results ... I went from 23.2 to 24.4 gr. of Varget with V-max 60 Gr. 23.6 gr. was the best . Look like 0.860 to 0.865 ..... Not bad for a first try .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02905.jpg (198.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-11-2012, 01:57 PM

That is a very good load for a Tavor! I'm curious to try some heavier stuff and see what kind of groups I can get.

I need to get better at shooting freestanding though!

Me is who,
Who is me,
He is she,
and dogs a fish
Israel Forum