Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Self Defense
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Self Defense Martial arts, defending yourself, krav maga, firearms, weapons, survival, etc.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:08 PM
Dragon

Archangel is on a distinguished road
Default Galil ACE to be sold in the US

Found this. Been waiting for one. I'm really excited to see this come to pass but I don't like the price tag (It's not a Tavor, it's a modernized AK, for heaven sakes I could modernize my own civillian AK for less than almost 2 grand. [Set to be about $1.8K])

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/10/23...sed-us-market/
Old 12-27-2014, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

Is the pricing same all through the US? Seems to be a tad on the higher side though I reckon that would be expected if it is to be an import model.
A war generating battles is ‘curse’ not ‘mirth’.

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 12-29-2014, 05:10 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaur View Post
Is the pricing same all through the US? Seems to be a tad on the higher side though I reckon that would be expected if it is to be an import model.

Seems like it is. As far as I know, to ditch import laws, it is to be made in the US like the Tavor.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

How do 7.62*39 round mags compare costwise to std. 5.56 rounds?

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 12-30-2014, 04:46 AM
Dragon

Quote:
How do 7.62*39 round mags compare costwise to std. 5.56 rounds?

For the Galil? surplus AK mags (Which are compatible.) standard mags are no more than maybe $25 a mag (Used to be a LOT cheaper.).

Galil surplus mags are about the same for the steel surplus mags as well.

However the AK mags are easier to find than the 5.56 Galil mags. ESPECIALLY the 50 round 5.56 Galil mags. The 50s are about like finding a unicorn, whoever already owns them, rarely sells them.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Ah yes, I forgot there must be plentiful cheap ammo for AK mags that the original Galil shared lot of DNA with, due to the Ace being sold in America I was thinking of 7.62*51 NATO std.ammo rather than the Russian rounds.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:47 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Ah yes, I forgot there must be plentiful cheap ammo for AK mags that the original Galil shared lot of DNA with, due to the Ace being sold in America I was thinking of 7.62*51 NATO std.ammo rather than the Russian rounds.
Yeah the ammo supply is there for certain. It's either 7.62x39, .308 Winchester/7.62x51 NATO, 5.56x45 NATO or 7.62x54r after that you can probably throw in .30-06 Springfield and 5.45x39
Old 12-31-2014, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

True, either the AK derivatives or 7.62 NATO should provide plentiful supply, the latter should be swappable with three ought eight Winchesters as well I'd assume.

The ex-military/surplus rifles themselves cost a pretty penny due to collector value, if you are into gun smithing maybe you could fabricate some 50 round 5.56 mags and make some moolah

Old 01-01-2015, 02:48 AM
Dragon

Quote:
True, either the AK derivatives or 7.62 NATO should provide plentiful supply, the latter should be swappable with three ought eight Winchesters as well I'd assume.

The ex-military/surplus rifles themselves cost a pretty penny due to collector value, if you are into gun smithing maybe you could fabricate some 50 round 5.56 mags and make some moolah
lol

.308 Winchester requires a meatier chambering, I believe at the throat where you need a longer lead before the round makes contact with the rifling. It's because the .308 Winchester is essentially a 7.62x51 NATO beefed up for more power for hunting instead of military usage. The cartridges though, are identical and I think the only difference cartridge wise is that I think the .308 Winchester has thicker webbing inside to deal with the higher pressures on ignition.

The mags take more than gunsmithing actually. It requires the almighty machinist and a press. Which, I just happen to have graduated machining school in college with honors. ;) I've ran just about every machine in a modern operation and I'm educated enough to do some things gunsmiths just don't know how to do. A machinist is actually a gunsmith's best friend. When he doesn't want to make something, we make it every day. lol

But were not limited to just small arms. We have the practical know how to make anything mechanical, including the Saturn-V rocket's Rocketdyne F-1 engines, jet engines, engine blocks for cars, cars themselves, tank parts, aircraft parts and much much more. It's a big field to work in and no machinist will ever know it all. Our value is so high that when the US actually had a military draft, they didn't draft machinists, we made everything they needed to keep their war in Vietnam going.

Last edited by Archangel; 01-01-2015 at 02:51 AM..
Old 01-01-2015, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

There you go then, if you have access to a fabrication shop then you could give it a serious go!

Old 01-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Dragon

Quote:
There you go then, if you have access to a fabrication shop then you could give it a serious go!

It would take some time but at some point I hope to own my own shop. This is obviously going to take years, those machines are very expensive. However I have been just about begged to start making stuff for people.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

I recall you expressing the wish to learn machining/trade and an occupation in that kind of stuff a couple of years ago when we were talking over PM. Glad to see you have made great progress in that direction mate, best of luck.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:07 AM
Dragon

Quote:
I recall you expressing the wish to learn machining/trade and an occupation in that kind of stuff a couple of years ago when we were talking over PM. Glad to see you have made great progress in that direction mate, best of luck.
Thanks, yeah it was pretty much an act of God two years ago. Myself and my dad both stumbled up on the college near me that teaches the coarse at almost the same time. After that well, I pretty much went hardcore into everything trying to learn as much as I could.

So now the plan is to plaster the near area with my resumes and pray to the living God for mercy and favor that they somehow hire me. lol
Old 01-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Best of luck and keep the faith. Seems like a sensible plan to post around resumes as well as hope for divine intervention. G-d helps those who help themselves.

Israel Forum