Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Israeli Military Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Israeli Military Discussion Forum GENERAL Topics Relating To Israel & Its National Security, Latest news and Analysis.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushok View Post
Hello,

I'm currently an aircraft mechanic on the CF-18 with the Canadian Air Force and i'm trying to find out if it's possible to join the IAF. I haven't found too much, if any, info regarding this subject, most of it has been for the Army and Infantry folks. I'm under 24, hold an Israeli citizenship, but I'm not Jewish and have forgot how to speak Hebrew. Is there a recruiting program that I would fall under? Preferably, I'd like to work on the F-15 and -16's, but I know that is a long shot.

How are recruits chosen into the Air Force? Do they have a choice in the matter or are only the top get chosen? One last thing, are there IDF career contracts where you can chose to be in the service for 25 years or more?

Thanks.
I'm an Air Force vet. My "fluency" in other branches comes from years of reserves with other units. I've served with Combat Engineers to Tanks, I've always been lucky in the variety I've had.

If you are an Israeli citizen, under the age of 24, you are obliged to serve in the IDF. It is simply up to you, as a non-resident, if you wish to fulfill your obligation.

That being said, the length of duty and what you do there would be up to the IDF.

While familiarity with aircraft is a plus, your Canadian service might be an issue with security clearances. But you wouldhave to speak with someone in the Israeli Embassy to get a firm decision on what is possible.

The choicest positions are fought over by the top of Israels High School students,who begin preparing for military duty on average by age 15. They have parents, brothers, sisters who are in the units already, and youth groups focused on preparing for the service. Minimally, you would be competing in all physical tests with 17 and 18 year olds.

That being said, I do want to be fair. If you were number one in your High School, graduated Summa Cum Laude from College, were Captain of your Football team and are confident you will be able to speak hebrew like a native and learn the Israeli social encounter and social dynamics approach to problem solving, then you should have a relatively easy time getting into whatever branch of the military you wish to enter.

As to deciding to serve for twenty five years, why don't you wait until you get through basic training before you make that decision.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:40 AM

buckshot is on a distinguished road

My wife is a US/Israeli by birth, I on the other hand am not. Neither of us are jewish and I want to join the IDF. I am currently in the USMC. With me being married to her is it still possible or would i have to get my Israeli citizenship 1st?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:37 AM

AZZenny is on a distinguished road

Seems if you could just bottle and sell the tremendous appeal of IDF, Israel's image problem (as well as the economic downturn) could be cleared up pronto.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot View Post
My wife is a US/Israeli by birth, I on the other hand am not. Neither of us are jewish and I want to join the IDF. I am currently in the USMC. With me being married to her is it still possible or would i have to get my Israeli citizenship 1st?
I'm no tclear on your wife's status nor your age. Two important pieces ofthe puzzle I would need before I could make any recommendation.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:48 AM

buckshot is on a distinguished road

Im 20 but will be 23 when im done serving in the USMC. She was able to keep her citizenship by serving with the US Navy, that is one option that Israeli citizens have if they live outside of Israel. Serve with their host nations military.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:43 AM

coleeast is on a distinguished road

So I'm a 21 year old American Jew and I'm coming to Israel with birthright next summer. I'm starting my first Ulpan in America next month and should be able to get at least 8 months of Hebrew lessons done before I'm even in Israel. Im going to start my kibbutz and an Ulpan as soon as birthright is over. Ill be 22 going on 23 when I join. I'm good right? I've talked to the MOD and they sent me some forms I'll need to fill out. But, I'm just wondering if that's all I'll need. Also I'd like somebody to recommend what kind of training I should do. I'm already extremely physically fit but I want to be as ready as possible for basic training. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleeast View Post
So I'm a 21 year old American Jew and I'm coming to Israel with birthright next summer. I'm starting my first Ulpan in America next month and should be able to get at least 8 months of Hebrew lessons done before I'm even in Israel. Im going to start my kibbutz and an Ulpan as soon as birthright is over. Ill be 22 going on 23 when I join. I'm good right? I've talked to the MOD and they sent me some forms I'll need to fill out. But, I'm just wondering if that's all I'll need. Also I'd like somebody to recommend what kind of training I should do. I'm already extremely physically fit but I want to be as ready as possible for basic training. Thanks!
Cross posting is what it is called when you ask the exact same question in three or four different places. Please try to refrain from this, it makes answering confusing and does little to help those who will come after you and ask the same questions.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:34 PM

Default statement from a rabbi question

Since you have to get a statement from a Rabbi proving that your Jewish to enlist in Mahal, I was wondering if a Rabbi from a Reform Synagogue is ok.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:47 AM

I tried to post this earlier but I don't think it worked. My question is: since I must get a written statement from a rabbi proving I'm Jewish to Mahal is it ok if my Rabbi is from a reform synagogue?
Old 08-13-2009, 05:22 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleeast View Post
I tried to post this earlier but I don't think it worked. My question is: since I must get a written statement from a rabbi proving I'm Jewish to Mahal is it ok if my Rabbi is from a reform synagogue?
Without entering into a political discussion, the answer would be no.

If you would like further clarification on this subject, please send me a private message.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:41 AM

Josef Lind is on a distinguished road

I have allready sent an email to them but they have not respond.....I´m a 20 year old swedish soldier
Old 08-22-2009, 11:43 AM

I think I have some jewish roots further back on my dads side
Old 08-22-2009, 12:11 PM

what if u want another job as an security guard or something like that, taking care of people on the street when the larm is sounding?

20yearoldswedishsoldier
Old 08-23-2009, 03:14 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Welcome to the board Josef,

Eligibility for citizenship for the State of Israel is set by Israeli law.
I would suggest you take the documentation drom your fathers side and bring it to the nearest Israeli Embassy and ask them if this would meet the threashold set for citizenship and/or service in MAHAL. While many people on the board may have an opinion, no one here can give you a definitive answer.

As to the security business in Israel;
Israel unfortunately does not lack in a ready supply of trained veterans.
Carrying permits in Israel require the usual exams and class time, and a psychiatric profile carried out by someone licensed by the Government.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:02 PM

lost87 is on a distinguished road

Im a 21 student , I want to join the IDF, thing is I'm on Meds for adhd, does that effect which unit they would let me join?(I heard speculations but nothing definitive)
Old 08-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

johnboy is on a distinguished road

welcome to the forum lost87
please feel free to go to our introduction section and introduce yourself to all the members
please read the forum as there are heaps of threads about members asking about the IDF and what is required
Old 08-23-2009, 05:25 PM

lost87 is on a distinguished road

Sorry,I Cant find anything about that :(
Old 08-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost87 View Post
Sorry,I Cant find anything about that :(

Go to the

Army Related Forum.

Scroll halfway down the page.

Click on the thread entitled, "Some questions about joining the IDF."
then, at the bottom of the page is a thread entitled, "Few army service related questions".
Then continue on the next page,

hope you find what you are looking for!
Old 11-28-2009, 01:42 AM

Mitnadev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2011 View Post
The cutoff age is 23 for men. So, how does IDF get medical doctors? Most finish MD at 26. Then a minimum 3 year residency; so 29 year old.
NEFESH B’NEFESH AND LEGACY HERITAGE FUND
LAUNCH PHYSICIAN ALIYAH CAMPAIGN
TO ADDRESS URGENT NATIONAL DOCTOR SHORTAGE

Significant grants and supplementary income packages being offered
to North American and British MD’s making Aliyah to Israel

(JERUSALEM) – Nefesh B’Nefesh, the organization dedicated to revitalizing Aliyah from the US, Canada and the UK, is launching a fellowship program for MDs from North America and the UK to help solve the serious shortage of doctors projected to occur in Israel over the next few years.

In response to figures released by the Council for Higher Education’s Planning and Budgeting Committee, suggesting that in the next ten years, Israel will experience a serious shortage of doctors, Nefesh B’Nefesh is teaming up with the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Immigrant Absorption to bring an increased number of western doctors to Israel. According to the report, due to a projected population increase – especially among the elderly – coupled with the noticeable trend of doctors leaving the medical profession, the current ratio of 3.5 physicians for every 1,000 Israelis is predicted to plummet to less than 2.5 per thousand in the next few years.

The Physician Aliyah Fellowship is now being introduced by Nefesh B’Nefesh to encourage North American and British physicians to move to Israel by providing significant grants. The grants, in the form of an initial fellowship upon arrival in Israel, and monthly supplementary income for the first two years, total approximately $60,000. These grants are available for doctors under the age of 40 who have completed their training in North America and the UK and are willing to practice at least nine months a year in Israel.

“Nefesh B’Nefesh recognizes the seriousness of this national need and is honored to be able to leverage our existing infrastructure to strengthen the medical community here,” said Rabbi Yehoshua Fass, Co-Founder and Executive Director of Nefesh B’Nefesh. “While currently many physicians making Aliyah prefer to continue their practices abroad, this fellowship will enable doctors to remain in Israel and sustain their careers domestically.”

Support for the Physician Aliyah Fellowship has been generously made possible by Legacy Heritage Fund Limited – Keren Morasha of New York and Jerusalem, in partnership with Nefesh B’Nefesh, who have helped close to 90 doctors make Aliyah to date.

Israeli Minister of Health, Yacov Ben Yizri, stated “We welcome this vital initiative, not only because of the importance of Aliyah, but also due to the expected shortage of doctors in Israel in the upcoming years.” He added “The Health Ministry will do all in its power to ease the absorption process and assist the doctors with their professional integration in Israel.”

Israeli Minister of Immigrant Absorption, Minister of the Development of the Negev and Galil, MK Yacov Edery: “The standard of medicine practiced in Israel is one of the highest in the world, partly due to the 20,000 doctors who have made Aliyah over the years. We need to continue to promote the Aliyah of doctors from around the world and to maintain the level of medicine practiced here. The concerning shortage of doctors anticipated in the next few years compels the Ministry of Immigrant Absorption to join this initiative and allocate funds to ensure physicians’ successful absorption into the Israeli health system.”

About Nefesh B’Nefesh

Founded in 2002, Nefesh B’Nefesh is an organization dedicated to revitalizing Aliyah from North America, Canada and the UK by removing or minimizing the financial, professional, logistical and social obstacles of Aliyah.

the above is the official joint press release issued by NefeshB’Nefesh and the Legacy Heritage Fund Limited

a Legacy Heritage Fellow is also in the news today with the launch of Second Life Israel
Old 11-28-2009, 02:28 AM
Banned

NegevBeast is on a distinguished road

Knowing that everything is dependent on my psychometric exam and physicals is it true that Mahal will not allow me to go to a Combat (Infantry) unit?
Also is it at all possible for someone to enlist through Mahal, do well on psychometric exam/physical and be allowed to go try for Gibush at the Wingate????? ... My reason for asking is that during my previous stay in Israel I believe several guys laughed when I asked about the Mahal program and explained to me that "they don't send anyone in Mahal to any good combat units that see action"- If this is true then aliyah should be done so I go through the native enlistment system... was planning to afterwards so that my service time could be extended past 3 years...
Todah

Todah
Israel Forum