Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Army Related Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Army Related Forum Topics about the Israeli armed forces, special forces, tanks, apc's, guns etc + world armies.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:31 AM

arbar is on a distinguished road
Default mechanic

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody could give me any information or share experience about how one can become a mechanic in the IDF? I will be going to Israel with garin tzabar and will be 23 and 2 months when I join the IDF. I am most interested in being an aircraft mechanic. I will have a degree in physics from America, if that will help me at all. I have read on this forum that you are not able to request service in the Israel Air Force and that they select you -- is this the case just for the pilots or is it for every single person in the IAF? I could also be happy doing work on tanks. I enjoy hands-on work and am interested by machines, how they work, and fixing them. My hebrew reading/writing/speaking is not very good, but I am working very hard to change that. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:17 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbar View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if anybody could give me any information or share experience about how one can become a mechanic in the IDF? I will be going to Israel with garin tzabar and will be 23 and 2 months when I join the IDF. I am most interested in being an aircraft mechanic. I will have a degree in physics from America, if that will help me at all. I have read on this forum that you are not able to request service in the Israel Air Force and that they select you -- is this the case just for the pilots or is it for every single person in the IAF? I could also be happy doing work on tanks. I enjoy hands-on work and am interested by machines, how they work, and fixing them. My hebrew reading/writing/speaking is not very good, but I am working very hard to change that. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.

The entire Israel Air Force is by invitation only. You mentioned very quickly in passing your degree, it should be translated and notarized for you to have with you when you discuss your military future.

It is great that you are working on your hebrew, it is the change maker.
A garin is a unique situation where people your age are enlisted with the idea of you making a connection with a specific group of people. It is another great path into Israeli life. Let us know how you make out.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 PM

I see. So my next question would be how does one get an invite to the Israel Air Force? For example, what would be the difference between someone who does get selected for the aircraft mechanic position and one who does not? I'm guessing that some factors are how one does on the psychological and intelligence exams and level of Hebrew? I would like to know so as to attempt to increase my chances of being able to serve in this role. Any details are appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

The vast majority of selection is done during High School. There is a vast network of screeners to make sure each recruit is used to his or her full advantage in the military. Everyone has a brother, sister, parent or even grandparent advocating a different branch. Everyone knows a general somewhere.

Next, each recruit is asked to list three services they would like to serve in. Putting down Air Force is simply losing one preference. In the last two years, every soldier in the IDF was given one of their three choices. So you can control your destiny to that degree. The key of course is to promote yourself as having something unique to offer. I already told you about your diploma, now figure out how to convince someone, in hebrew, that it is worth anything.

So by the time new immigrants enter the manpower situation, you (we) are used to fill in the gaps. Easily 95% to as much as 98% of all recruits such as yourself end up in infantry. Again, for 100 days. Then you are attached to the manpower of a Reserves unit for 33 days every 3 years.

How did I get into the Air Force as a new immigrant? Well, it was a long time ago.......
Old 01-08-2012, 03:08 PM

Only 100 days? How have you arrived at this number?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:34 PM

Rafi, I have a couple of questions about your last post.

First, you say that in the past two years, every soldier in the IDF was given one of their three preferences. What happens if a new immigrant (or anyone for that matter) were to request three roles which require a language level higher than he or she has, or some other skill set which he or she does not possess? Does the IDF put the soldier into the role for which he or she is most qualified for, or do they assign a different role entirely and not give one of the three preference choices.

Second, I have been reading through a lot of threads in this forum since it is such a wonderful source of information, and I came across the following thread:

Just made Aliyah - What unit
i cannot post links yet, so this is the end of the URL: /showthread.php?t=5529

Here, you suggest for somebody to request a role in the Israel Air Force, correct? Your earlier post said that the entire Israel Air Force was invitation only, so I am confused why there was mention of requesting an IAF position (anti-aircraft) in that thread.

Anyhow, thank you very much for all the help so far!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:44 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

There are many people who write to this site about an interest in serving.

At a certain point, the conversation turns private, as well as public. As incredible as it seems, I really am involved in the gius process of the IDF.

When emails are exchanged with personal details, a better, clearer profile of the individual emerges. If the circumstances warrant, they might be suitable for a position that meets their unique qualifications. In other words, my having 20/10 vision was a HUGE factor in my being recruited for the Air Force. A degree in Structural Engineering from Cal Tech might be another. So there may very well be something specific about that individual that warranted my suggestion. The army is not going to play gotcha games on semantics. It is 100% subjectve in using a soldier for the maximum benefit of the IDF. I give the best advice I can under the parameters of this site.

I am sorry if it was confusing to you.

Regarding 3 choices of what you would like to do in the Army. After every single Israeli completes the process of going into the army, the vast majority of a manpower chart takes form. There might remain a few spots here and there, that will be plugged in as people come along. The handful of overseas recruits who show up at the door are sometime suitable to plug those spots, but most often not. Sometimes someone comes along who it makes sense for the IDF to add a spot in a program for. As I always tell people, If you are completing Columbia University, speak hebrew, are left handed and have 20/10 vision, the army might very well make a spot for you. But the reality is, more often the case is 25, unemployed, no degree and looking to make a new start. The former certainly shines in that case as well. So even amongst those coming over, there is a heirarchy. This is the reality of life.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:14 AM

Okay. Well, I know what I need to do.

Again, thanks for all the info. I really appreciate your help.
Israel Forum