Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Army Related Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Army Related Forum Topics about the Israeli armed forces, special forces, tanks, apc's, guns etc + world armies.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:44 PM

ari.p.solomon is on a distinguished road
Default items to bring to the army

I will be leaving in less than a month for aliyah from the US, and was wondering if there are certain items (clothing, shoes, etc) that I should buy here and bring to Israel that i can wear in the army. I know the IDF provides me with the basic clothing pack and boots, but can i wear my own socks/underarmour clothing to keep warmer. Are there things that are a must bring or can i only wear regulation clothing and such.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Hi Ari,

Glad the plans are moving along. And of course you will have plenty of time from arrival to gius for last minute items.

There are other threads on the subject, but key items that come to mind are:

Gold Bond powder
Gold toe socks fit perfect with IDF shoes (oddly, army boots are shoes in hebrew)
Various sizes of locks
pendong on where you are - under armour
decent knife - though there are mixed reviews - I've settled on a Firemans rescue folding knife
low end laptops are popular
I loved my ipod 8gig for music and movies when in the field without laptop
no weapon accessories until at permanent base with permanent weapon
undershirts
outerwear is very subjective to the base (not type but Sgt.Major)
flip floops for shower
sewing kit (yes, you get one, but....)
good small shoe shine kit
rubber bands for bottom of pants
black permanent markers
baseball hat - again - depends on the base

So there is a good start

The US post office has started one price boxes to Israel. Small, of course, a bit expensive but 10 dayservice. Sent one to my son Nov 13, got there the 26. Worth hittinghte web site to check out.

final note: enlistee theft is a real problem. bringwhat you are prepared to lose, with obvious exceptions.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:25 AM
Dragon

ishmael is on a distinguished road

I never had one thing stolen, but I was scout(?). LOL was it fear or respect. The world will never know. On serious note this is a very good list. I also recomm end a leatherman type tool. ( I would sleep with it). A camel back. and depending on your exercise frequency now, a sport lubricant. For feet at first long marches. Bless your endevor.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:19 PM

jonnyc is on a distinguished road

Probably too late, but Zip-Ties.
Israel Forum