Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Army Related Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Army Related Forum Topics about the Israeli armed forces, special forces, tanks, apc's, guns etc + world armies.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 PM

Armthehomeless is on a distinguished road
Default Whats the deal with patches?

Is the IDF similar to US military where you can wear custom patches on fridays?
Can i wear any patch I want on my bets? or on my helmet? Is it not worth it?

I found my grandfathers patches& pins from WW2 and the war of independence in Israel, and would like to wear one , Just simple unit or battalion patches/pins , i wouldn't be walking around with a purple heart or something I didn't earn pinned to my chest.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armthehomeless View Post
Is the IDF similar to US military where you can wear custom patches on fridays?
Uhhh...you're being facetious, right? Please explain and provide the validity of such a comment as this and where you obtained the information. I'm rather intrigued.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:34 PM

Armthehomeless is on a distinguished road

I'll take that as a no on the patches. :-)

I think the military term is actually "Friday Patch" My friend is an airmen and they are allowed to wear any patch on either their right or their left arm (cant remeber) on fridays. Usually the whole unit gets together and has a friday patch. A unit can also get together and adopt another patch to wear duing the rest of the week too i believe.
Either way half of the "friday patches" he has are at least mildly offensive.
I'd give you a link to the wired.com page i found on "awesomely bad military patches" but im not allowed yet, so search it.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armthehomeless View Post
I'll take that as a no on the patches. :-)

I think the military term is actually "Friday Patch" My friend is an airmen and they are allowed to wear any patch on either their right or their left arm (cant remeber) on fridays. Usually the whole unit gets together and has a friday patch. A unit can also get together and adopt another patch to wear duing the rest of the week too i believe.
Either way half of the "friday patches" he has are at least mildly offensive.
I'd give you a link to the wired.com page on "awesomely bad military patches" but im not allowed yet, so search it.
This sort of immature silliness may be condoned within certain units of the US Air Force, but it certainly isn't condoned within the rest of the US armed forces. No offense meant personally as you appear to be rather inexperienced, but I find such behavior to be downright childish to say nothing of being almost assuredly against the uniform regs of the other branches...and without question definitely against the uniform regs of the Marines and Army. The armed forces aren't like civilian life where you can "dress down" on Fridays and the Air Force needs to clean up their act. One more thing: Try coming aboard any other military reservation like a Marine base with that "mildly offensive" patch anywhere on your person while in Class A or duty uniform no matter what branch of service you're in (and in some cases that goes for civilian clothes as well) and see what happens.

It's stuff like this that has the other services laughing for years at the USAF and (whether fair or not...) calling the Air Force pejorative terms like Air Farce and Chair Force. Instead of playing grade-school shenanigans like "Patch Friday", the Air Force leadership and their children's camp counselor mentality would be better off insisting USAF personnel partake in regular daily PT, spend some time on the firing ranges learning how to shoot their assigned weapons straight and improving their overall military bearing in general.

You're welcome to share my comments with that airman friend of yours, too.

BTW: My comments above are strictly about the US armed forces and have nothing to do with the IDF/IAF. I defer to those on this board who can properly answer your question about those organizations.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

No patches are ever worn on "bets" in the IDF. period.

At best we might wear our rank, but not always.

Not familiar with the US military, but if you put on a patch or award, you better have earned it. You will either be busted or get your head busted.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:34 PM

Boanerges is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there an intelligent question being put forth here?
If there is, I comprehend it not!
"Is it not worth it?" (About) what are you writing???????????????????(didn't want to end a sentence with a preposition)
My English teacher would be proud!

Last edited by Boanerges; 01-21-2010 at 08:44 PM..
Old 01-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Gold Member

milluim is on a distinguished road

dont the IAF wear a small Israeli flag on thier flight jackets ??
no patch on army bets like rafi said just sholder tag and beret tucked nicely into the lapel
Rafi I noticed a lot of people put a blue "tag" on thier sholders is that a way of identifying them as officer without having to show thier rank with epitulates?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by milluim View Post
dont the IAF wear a small Israeli flag on thier flight jackets ??
no patch on army bets like rafi said just sholder tag and beret tucked nicely into the lapel
Rafi I noticed a lot of people put a blue "tag" on thier sholders is that a way of identifying them as officer without having to show thier rank with epitulates?
Only on particular assignments are Israeli flags worn on Bets. In the field they make a tremendous target, the bright white with blue stripes. And a star in the middle to line up over the center bar.

The blue tags were simply a coincidence. In that they were blue. They come in many colors. On some bases Sar-El has them.
On some bases it could be OTC or commander school. B
ut no,they are not officer tags. More than 99% percent of regular army officers wear their epaulets. Probably less than half of reservists.

OK, I can't resist. Almost every REMF officer in reserves wears his.

Last edited by rafi; 01-22-2010 at 03:58 AM..
Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 AM
Gold Member

Toda Rafi another goldstar for you when I get there you should be working for the spokesperson unit!!
Old 01-22-2010, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boanerges View Post
Is there an intelligent question being put forth here?
If there is, I comprehend it not!
"Is it not worth it?" (About) what are you writing???????????????????(didn't want to end a sentence with a preposition)
My English teacher would be proud!
Just as an example of what I previously spoke about: Does anyone remember the attached snapshot below being bandied about the Internet ad infinitum ad nauseum a while back by well-meaning but obviously misinformed (and certainly non-military) individuals? Probably still is being bandied about for all I know. The accompanying e-mail with the pic claimed the Army buck sergeant in the photo as well as his comrades had supposedly sown those patches onto their utilities you see underneath the American flag as a form of protest towards France and a few other countries. Of course, had this been a real photo, those individuals would have been guilty of breaking at least 5 different uniform and standards of conduct regs in the process.

I went out of my way to debunk the photo to non-veterans whenever possible anywhere I could because many civilian friends actually believed it was genuine The picture is nothing but a bogus PhotoShop phony and has since been proven to be so many times over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patch.jpg (41.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by scelli; 01-22-2010 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-22-2010, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Oh, by the way: Want to see the unretouched original picture and the site it was taken from?

http://www.arrc.nato.int/pictures/kf...r/gistandi.jpg

Old 01-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Gold Member

that picture speaks so many words on so many levels he should have been allowed to wear it!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by milluim View Post
that picture speaks so many words on so many levels he should have been allowed to wear it!
Although I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment expressed by the patches (as I'm sure many others here do as well), a military uniform is not the proper nor authorized place for displaying that sentiment. In fact, it's not only out of place, but the wearing of such paraphernalia by American forces on their uniforms is illegal under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) and will result in serious disciplinary action against the individual(s).

Israel Forum