Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Israeli Military Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Israeli Military Discussion Forum GENERAL Topics Relating To Israel & Its National Security, Latest news and Analysis.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 PM

Dudu is on a distinguished road
Default I have some questions about joining.

I am both an American and Israeli Citizen. I have family in Israel. I am 20 years old and I want to join the IDF, but I may have some problems. I cut myself with a knife when i was 16. i have some gang tattoos. and I dropped out of high school.
questions...

-Can the IDF medical staff look up health records in the US?
-Will they even look up your records as long as you don't give them a reason?
-Could they administer a psych exam that by me passing could overlook some past problems?
-Does the idf recognize gangs?
-do you need a high school diploma
-Even if I fail or get profile 21'd or whatever could i still end up with a desk job?
-Would having a close family member that is very high ranked in the IDF help?

I have talked to various people. for the most part people told me that this wouldnt be an issue and that because i am physically strong that i will end up a soldier. but i want to get some opinions from people i dont know.

thanks
Old 12-04-2012, 04:36 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

I'll take your questions as sincere and do my best to answer them. In all instances in the IDF, as you are an Israeli citizen yourself, you would be treated as if you spent your whole life in Israel.

First, you need a certified letter from your family physician that he would certify you as suited to serve. (no doctor, no entry, if that were a follow up question).

The IDF can look up both police as well as medical records in the US. It is incredibly easy to do in the age of computers. You will be asked about this during a psychiatric screening prior to enlisting. Gangs and drugs are two areas of zero tolerance in the IDF. You will be drug tested.

In order to get a desk job you would have to be capable of writing college level hebrew. Everyone in Israel is related to, lives near, or is married to a high ranking IDF officer. It is a worthless avenue of pursuit.

I realize I have not been overly optimistic, however, you asked. I am sorry you have been previously misinformed.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
I realize I have not been overly optimistic, however, you asked. I am sorry you have been previously misinformed.
Captain Renault: What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?

Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.

Captain Renault: The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.

Rick: I was misinformed.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM

Dudu is on a distinguished road

Not even a brigade general
Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 PM

concrete_respect is on a distinguished road

I serve in a special unit and a friend in my team was in prison for almost a year before he joined the army. He had to do a special basic training for Israelis with problems at home at the start of his service

If you want to join I would be very surprised if they wouldn't draft you, unless you have health problems. They find jobs for 25 year old Russians who don't speak Hebrew and have zero interest in serving in the army

לכל מקום שנרצה. בכל דרך שנבחר.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudu View Post
Not even a brigade general
They are called a Tat Aluf in hebrew. And Brigadier General in english.

There are quite a few more of them than you might think, and second of all, and no disrespect intended, but do you think the value they place in their name would extend to speaking out for someone with your background?

But aside from all that - no, even a Tat Aluf could not "pick up the phone" and get someone placed without asking someone to break established rules. And that is impossible without a paper trail in the age of computers.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete_respect View Post
I serve in a special unit and a friend in my team was in prison for almost a year before he joined the army. He had to do a special basic training for Israelis with problems at home at the start of his service

If you want to join I would be very surprised if they wouldn't draft you, unless you have health problems. They find jobs for 25 year old Russians who don't speak Hebrew and have zero interest in serving in the army
As a licensed social worker in Israel who worked with street gangs in both Yerucham in the Negev and Shikun Daled in Tiberias, I am aware of the program you are referring to. Isn't it true that this requires a special court order? And isn't it true that you need a sponsor to initiate the process? And as you mentioned, special service under special conditions. Very often this does not involve anything involving being issued a weapon. Yes, there are exceptions, but as we know, exceptions are one-offs, not a basis for general advice.

A new immigrant with no hebrew is going to get in under the program often heralded as: Tsava Boneh HaAm Boneh Tsava..... This translates to "the Army builds the Country builds the Army.... The IDF is the most powerful tool available to the country in teaching immigrants (and as we now know, haredim as well) to integrate into general society.

Our OP is not a new immigrant looking to start a new life in a new country where he hopes to integrate into society and live out his life. He is an Israeli citizen living overseas who did not report for duty at age 18 as Israelis are required to do. He lives overseas, and has a past that unfortunately can carry consequences in his life.

I am certain you are not recommending for him to hop on an airplane and see what happens.

The best advice that could be offered would be to visit the nearest Israeli consulate and have an honest discussion with the military representative there. Then he could have straight answers from a Government/Military official that can be documented.