Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Physical Fitness
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Physical Fitness your guide to physical fitness, training methods

Old 03-20-2008, 02:35 AM
Gold Member

Topmaul is on a distinguished road
Default workout strategy

I for one don't believe in working out to look good, that is a waste of time, I believe workouts are a vehicle to get to a place I want to be. For example I used to own a boat which I used for scuba diving. The boating I did was just a from of transportation to go diving.

Working out has to be functional with goals and mile stones. A warriors workout is not doing max push ups and silly crap like that you have to move fast, carry heavy loads, always be ready to react.

I suggest going to Crossfit.com and Dragondoor.com for workout ideas. Thing I like about Dragondoor.com the exercises are designed to work as many muscle groups as possible with one exercise not targer training which is a only going to lead to injury. I suggest you folks read some of the articles on Dragondoor.com for more information.

So Comrades what is your workout strategy?
His rucksack weighs what he weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him
The True believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'... he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700... he is home.
He knows only the cause...
Now, who wants to quit?

Last edited by Topmaul; 03-20-2008 at 02:44 AM..
Old 03-30-2008, 02:00 PM

amnion is on a distinguished road

FatalFitness.com also has good, challenging workouts designed for function, especially for military members. It was created by a member of the US military.

Does anyone know what the physical requirements are for Israeli special forces?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

http://www.mcwl.usmc.mil/file_downlo...NAL_061120.pdf

This is a good read.
His rucksack weighs what he weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him
The True believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'... he knows he either wins or he dies.
Now, who wants to quit?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Gold Member

Gents,
I have seriously upgraded my workout, now I do dynamic kettlebell drills and static ones in the same set.

A set consists of

unlike young lady in this video I do 5 swings switch hands, then 5 cleans switch hands and do them with the other hand, then the rought one the high pull 5 each arm followed by 5 snatches with each arm. Not done yet 5 one leg press with each arm this is simply a press done standing on one leg for 5 reps then switch arm and leg do the other five. Next is double drills row , followed by see saw press and the squat using two 35 pound kettlebells. this is one set.

What do you guys think?
Now, who wants to quit?

Last edited by Topmaul; 04-06-2008 at 07:49 PM..
Old 04-07-2008, 12:31 AM

Boges is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topmaul View Post

This is a good read.

Haha, it quotes wikipedia! [insert smiley face here]
Old 04-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Gold Member

Comrade,
If you don't agree with the conclusions reached in the publication stay on the machines or better yet on the couch.
Now, who wants to quit?

Last edited by Topmaul; 04-07-2008 at 10:55 PM..
Old 07-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

New Ron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstu603 View Post
I can't afford a new car.
Using your signature to spam is a very bad idea, it gets you banned lol.

"If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence.. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel."
~ Golda Meir~

Old 07-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Banned

Sayeret Golani is on a distinguished road

I workout everyday, often at a gym or at home with free weights. I workout for myself to prove to myself that I can basically. I do multiple bicep workouts, Triceps forarms shoulders chest, and abs, i do lots of pushups so i suppose lats as well. I workout with weights cause I find that they have the best results if done correctly.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Gold Member

That is all nice but the key to a man's functional strength is his lower back
Now, who wants to quit?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:03 PM

Ukonline is on a distinguished road

you should run on mondays, wednesdays and fridays and tuesday and thursdays you should weight train. you build up muscles by creating tiny tears in the muscle itself. if you don't give your muscles enough time to rest after you work on them they won't heal and you'll end up damaging them.

plus, when you run (cardio) you lose some muscle with your fat. and if you want to bulk up you need to do heavier weighs at fewer reps. for lean muscles it's less weight at more reps.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Dragon

joejd12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukonline View Post
you should run on mondays, wednesdays and fridays and tuesday and thursdays you should weight train. you build up muscles by creating tiny tears in the muscle itself. if you don't give your muscles enough time to rest after you work on them they won't heal and you'll end up damaging them.

plus, when you run (cardio) you lose some muscle with your fat. and if you want to bulk up you need to do heavier weighs at fewer reps. for lean muscles it's less weight at more reps.
generally the rep ranges are accepted as being
1-4 reps= max size
8-12= size+strength
13+= endurance

the underlying truth behind whatever you fitness goal is that you should first decide what your aim is... are you trying to add muscle? or are you trying to lose fat?

if you are attempting to add muscle mass theres not much point to doing cardio as it will slow down your gains (though it will also decrease the amount of fat you gain along with the muscle), not to mention that you would need to do weight training (or whatever form of training you are planning on for muscle gain) a minimum of 3 times a week to actually gain muscle mass...
Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Dragon

cute_assassin is on a distinguished road

MAX- OT or GVT work best for me..... anyone here tried either?

Those who can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. It is the freedom to refrain, withdraw and abstain which makes a totalitarian regime impossible. - Eric Hoffer

Today its a new beginning!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:09 AM

johnhodges is on a distinguished road

Carbs before. protein after. work different muscle groups on different days: chest and back one day/shoulders and bicepts the next/legs the next. Make sure there's a least 20 min of cardio everytime.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhodges View Post
Carbs before. protein after. work different muscle groups on different days: chest and back one day/shoulders and bicepts the next/legs the next. Make sure there's a least 20 min of cardio everytime.

Hi John, welcome to our forum. Introduce yourself to everybody in the introduction section!

Those who can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. It is the freedom to refrain, withdraw and abstain which makes a totalitarian regime impossible. - Eric Hoffer

Old 04-24-2012, 03:30 PM

Camron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhodges View Post

I think this strategy is quite effective for the fitness 20 min of the cardio helps you to prepare for the exercise warm up your body, so I never skip cardio before my workout. My workout is also in same routine and I have divided my workout in different step with respect to body parts.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Dragon

ishmael is on a distinguished road

All I can say is run, walk as often as you can. Get a job working on a diary farm! HAHAHA! You will be strong. Before i went to army many years ago I did this. I had no problems with any physical demand made on me. Lifting straws over ones head, carrying milk, shoveling, and pushing cows for 12 hours a day was best workout I ever had!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Dragon

Archangel is on a distinguished road

My issue is core. I have a bunch of body fat on my midsection especially on the sides above the belt area. It's driving me nuts. So I need basic Core workouts (without weights). I've discovered 2, the Superman, and obviously the crunch but this does not address the side areas I am really concerned with.

I must reiterate, that for me I don't want weights. I'm comfortable with my muscle mass as is, so I'm looking to go high sets and high reps.

One reason being that one SEAL instructor said that a strong core is one reason why they can do what they do so well physically. I already have good size arms and chest, back is built well and so are my quads calves and so on. I need to whip my midsection in shape which will also help my stamina jogging.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:18 AM
Dragon

I had that problem too after college, kind of a beer belly, but I took on chin ups,lunges and lateral bridge and crunches (preceded by a 60sec sprint on the treadmill). I worked 2-1-2 (2 days exercise, one day off). Was back in shape in about 3 months. But apart from this I also worked the weights.

Another usefull exercise in this is jumping jacks combined with crunches again with a sprint on the treadmill for 60sec.

Superman is a good one but I dont really like it for weight loss, until I feel the burn and the heart racing, nothing else cuts it out for me, and those 2 factors IMO are pivotal for weight loss.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute_assassin View Post
I had that problem too after college, kind of a beer belly.
I had the same problem, so I swapped the beer for whiskey
It is absolutely true in war, were other things equal, that numbers, whether men, shells, bombs, etc, would be supreme. Yet it is also absolutely true that other things are never equal and can never be equal - Maj.Gen. J. F. C. Fuller

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 04-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaur View Post
I had the same problem, so I swapped the beer for whiskey
hehe, I wonder what you would've done had there been protein beer shakes of sorts

Israel Forum