Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Global Military > Africa
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Africa Military News from African countries.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David of Galilee View Post
When the Swiss Grenadiers commit, I'll stand up and cheer.

Indeed, who is coordinating all this, and what are the engagement order, and goals?

Though big transport planes do give it an element of seriousness.
They can start by sending in the Vatican's Swiss guards.

When I see those transports filled with the asses of seriously trained combat troops and equipment capable of fighting for the long haul, then I'll consider giving plaudits...and not before that time.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelli View Post
When it suits the French agenda and not before. Let's just leave it at that, Knaur. Stop uttering nonsense. .. I expect much better from you. The crack about "shedding blood" isn't even worth responding to and suggest you look at US casualty figures to see who has shed blood and who hasn't so far.
I am least bothered by your opinion, I have so many times posted my utter respect for the US fighting man, as my grandfather was in WW2, right till the soldier fighting Taliban scumbags in A-stan. I am very much aware of the sacrifices made by American and all allied forces, and I have posted heaps on both the selflessness of these soldiers and how contrasting it is to the weasel words of your politicians. If you think I'd be so crass as to stoop to a level where I'd degenrate to casting aspersions on these soldiers to prove a petty point, I have nothing to say to you.

If you had bothered to read my posts, you would also have seen I'v written about Frenchbackstabbing, and in earlier years about the perfidy of the Chirac doctrine.

But I ll not lower my respect for France and others for their actions in Mali just to flatter American egos.

Why is it that on June 4th 1967 I was a Jordanian and overnight I became a Palestinian? - Walid Shoebat, PLO terrorist
Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by David of Galilee View Post
When the Swiss Grenadiers commit, I'll stand up and cheer.

Indeed, who is coordinating all this, and what are the engagement order, and goals?

Though big transport planes do give it an element of seriousness.
France is leading, US has been invited but has declined to join so for, but its under consideration.

Sahel must be wrested free of Al Queda control, the topography of this region is such that it will become a very easy launchpad for Jihadis in future.

France has good combat record in Africa, they annihilated the opposition in Chad in well co-ordinated moves.

Waiting for UN will mean a wait forever, France has assets in the area that will affect it most, Africans themselves will be greatly suffering too.

If you had read Isayaret's posts from Africa, the common African non-Moslem is greatly concerned and supports the intervention.

Why is it that on June 4th 1967 I was a Jordanian and overnight I became a Palestinian? - Walid Shoebat, PLO terrorist
Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaur View Post
But I ll not lower my respect for France and others for their actions in Mali just to flatter American egos.
Whatever....I think you'll find that not too many folks on this forum will be jumping on the French bandwagon, despite what you say.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Whatever....I think you'll find that not too many folks on this forum will be jumping on the French bandwagon, despite what you say.
Not now perhaps, this was a serious problem an year ago, Isayaret, me and others have been posting on it on various forums since years, we've seen Al Queda formate and gather strength while the world didn't pay heed.

Any intervention is welcome, USA is commited elsewhere perhaps, no worries, but rather support the good work of others than discourage them, don't forget France has supported the allies in A-stan recently.

So while the limelight is on other hotspots like the Middle East, Sahel is a region which once fortified under Jihadist control will be almost impossible to wrest back due to tribal/nomadic lifestyles, lack of govt. control, plentiful resources and a strategic smuggling route.

Vive La France , the last word is yours on this if you wish to have it, I respect you for being on my side and for your service, but I consider you flat out incorrect here.

You don't speak for all forum members btw, I regularly PM them to solicit their opinions and enhance my knowledge, and the ones I am talking to are very supportive of these actions.

Last edited by Knaur; 01-17-2013 at 11:13 AM..
Old 01-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Default Huge Sahara hostage siege turns Mali war global

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...c=Worldupdates

Old 01-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

First Nigerian troops to join anti-rebel operation in Mali
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21054946

Old 01-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Britain says gives strong support to French Mali mission

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/bri...105932439.html

Old 01-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Germany has confirmed 2 C160 birds and personnel, Italy will commit logistics support as well soon.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
When I see those transports filled with the asses of seriously trained combat troops and equipment capable of fighting for the long haul, then I'll consider giving plaudits...and not before that time.
French themselves are the most potent force in Africa, then there is AFRICOM but AFRICOM will likely not commit. The Africans themselves have good experience of fighting these Jihadis, they are being trained better by NATO military advisors now.

The timeline remains to be seen, it cannot be quick to take back a territory the size of a nation controlled by Al Queda with well defensible positions.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Russia has no objection to French intervention in Mali

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90777/8093156.html

Old 01-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Default Tuaregs side with Mali government to defeat Islamists

http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_01_15/Tu...eat-Islamists/

Old 01-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Default Panetta Vows All Necessary Steps for U.S. Hostages

Well, the US may just get sucked in, but I doubt with Obama at the helm.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...0ao00hrl%2en6e

Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Dragon

garpk is on a distinguished road
Default Objectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaur View Post
Garpk,

All I'v posted about French till now have been jokes, they did very little contribution so far, but we are in this together, we swim together or swim together, and they're fighting hard in a hard place indeed.

Last year William Hague had this thing on a social networking website where they invited contributor questions, I asked them about their strategy to combat the threat emerging in Africa from the fall of Arabic regimes and got no reply, an year on, one wonders what could have been had they did something back then than twiddling their thumbs.
'
I agree it is important to stop the advance of Islamic terror everywhere. What are the objectives of France? Do they just want to stop the advance or do they want to rid the entire country of the Islamic terrorists? Will they accept the current corrupt government or will they demand democratic elections in which case the Islamists may win by ballot like they did in Egypt?
Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Dragon

Default France Sends Reinforcements to Confront Islamist Forces in Mali

France Sends Reinforcements to Confront Islamist Forces in Mali

Harouna Traore/Associated Press
French ground soldiers battled in Mali on Wednesday.

By ADAM NOSSITER, NEIL MacFARQUHAR and ALAN COWELL

Published: January 17, 2013

BAMAKO, Mali — French soldiers have battled Islamist militants in direct clashes on the ground in central Mali, officials said, as hundreds of reinforcements arrived to bolster French forces in fighting that continued on Thursday, expanding the campaign against the militants who have seized much of the nation beyond just airstrikes.

Multimedia

France Battles Rebels in Mali

France Battles Rebels in Mali

Close Video

See More Videos »

Map

Related

Michel Moutot/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

French troops arrived near the town of Markala on Wednesday to secure a strategic bridge.

Enlarge This Image

Marco Gualazzini for The New York Times

French soldiers rested in a hangar at the Malian Army air base in Bamako, where the French army has set up its military headquarters.

The French defense minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian, announced on Thursday that French forces in Mali now number 1,400 — 600 more than the figure given on Wednesday.
“This morning there are 1,400 French soldiers on Malian soil,” he said. “There was combat yesterday, on the ground and from the air. There was more overnight and it is continuing at this moment.” He gave no details or locations for the exchanges and did not say who was involved in the fighting.
France had said earlier that its ground forces had stayed out of the fighting so far, limiting its intervention in Mali to aerial assaults at the front lines and bombing runs on extremist strongholds deeper into the Islamist-held north.
But diplomats at the United Nations Security Council said on Wednesday that 30 to 40 French special forces troops landed in central Mali a week ago and joined Malian soldiers in ground combat against the militants almost immediately.
The French troops had been sent in as spotters to help French bombers find their targets, the diplomats said, but after the Malian forces alongside them faced an intense militant onslaught, the French troops suddenly found themselves engaged in skirmishes last Friday.
“Our enemies were well armed, well equipped, well trained and determined,” said a senior French diplomat.
Beyond that, a Malian colonel said that his army’s ground troops had joined French forces on Wednesday and ringed the village of Diabaly, which Islamist fighters had seized the day before. Now, he said, they were trying to extricate the militants, who had taken over homes and ensconced themselves, managing to stay put despite hours of airstrikes by French warplanes the night before.
“It’s a very specialized kind of war,” the colonel said about the effort to dislodge the militants. “The town is surrounded.” Residents fleeing the town told French broadcasters that the insurgents were still in control there on Thursday.
The fighting took place for much of the day, another top-ranking Malian officer said, confirming that French ground forces had engaged in combat alongside Malian soldiers against the jihadists entrenched in Diabaly.
The Islamists overran Diabaly and a nearby Malian Army outpost on Monday despite heavy air bombardment by French planes and helicopter gunships, embarrassing the French, who had said they had blunted the Islamist advance into southern Mali.
Since then, French officials have acknowledged that bombing alone would not be enough to drive out the Islamist fighters who have advanced ever further into Mali, but they have typically been reluctant to say when exactly ground operations would begin.
President François Hollande of France has been blunt about his overall intentions, however. “What do we plan to do with the terrorists?” he said on Tuesday. “Destroy them. Capture them, if possible, and make sure that they can do no harm in the future.”
France is moving quickly toward a deeper engagement in Mali, trying to stabilize the south while hitting hard with air power at Islamist bases and concentrations in the north. France is building up its troops in Mali to 2,500, and officials made it clear that those troops would take the fight to the rebels along with Malian forces.
Other African nations have pledged troops, the Security Council diplomats said, including Togo, Nigeria, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Niger, Benin and Chad. The question is whether they are operational. Chadian officials said on Thursday that their country would contribute 2,000 soldiers.
Adam Nossiter reported from Bamako, Neil MacFarquhar from the United Nations, and Alan Cowell from Paris. Steven Erlanger contributed reporting from Paris, Julia Werdigier from London, and Elisabeth Bumiller from Madrid.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/18/wo...ref=world&_r=0
Old 01-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Dragon

Default President of France

Quote:
Originally Posted by garpk View Post
President François Hollande of France has been blunt about his overall intentions, however. “What do we plan to do with the terrorists?” he said on Tuesday. “Destroy them. Capture them, if possible, and make sure that they can do no harm in the future.”
France is moving quickly toward a deeper engagement in Mali, trying to stabilize the south while hitting hard with air power at Islamist bases and concentrations in the north. France is building up its troops in Mali to 2,500, and officials made it clear that those troops would take the fight to the rebels along with Malian forces.

I am not used to reading the French can actually have a pair of .... I may need to change my outlook on them...
Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
I am not used to reading the French can actually have a pair of .... I may need to change my outlook on them...
They couldn't have become a colonial power without a pair, I guess it was their rotten luck that the enemy they traditionally had, the UK, was pretty much defeating everyone throughout the time it was in conflict with them.

WW2 of course cemented their infamy further, but this is a different kind of war, after all, the mighty Russians had to leave A-stan despite defeating far better foes throughout their history.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
'
I agree it is important to stop the advance of Islamic terror everywhere. What are the objectives of France? Do they just want to stop the advance or do they want to rid the entire country of the Islamic terrorists? Will they accept the current corrupt government or will they demand democratic elections in which case the Islamists may win by ballot like they did in Egypt?
They want to get the country rid of terrorists.

There are Islamists and then there are Islamists, the kind in Mali are straightout Al Queda blokes and they have full control of the country, its like Al Quedastan with all the horrible implications.

So its not a case of the govt. supporting Islamists but the whole nation being a huge sort of terror camp.

I don't think they ll pull an Egypt here, France doesn't have the same moral dilemma as USA or others as their actions in Africa have shown, if they feel its in their interest to go, well, un-democratic, they ll do it.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Default 3000 more troops likely for Mali

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/africa/...ikely-for-Mali

Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Default France seeks support for Africa's Mali force

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/france-...-force-5322179

Yacouba Konate, 56, wears a French flag to show his support for the French military intervention in Mali in the Malian capital of Bamako. - Source: Reuters

Israel Forum