Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Historical Israel-Arab wars
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Historical Israel-Arab wars Discuss the strategies and the situation of the historical Israeli-Arab wars from 1948-1982 and it's implications on Israel.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

USA interdicted because of fears of Soviet support back then, not through any particularly altruistic desire.
It is absolutely true in war, were other things equal, that numbers, whether men, shells, bombs, etc, would be supreme. Yet it is also absolutely true that other things are never equal and can never be equal - Maj.Gen. J. F. C. Fuller

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Gold Member

milluim is on a distinguished road

It served america then to supply weapons to combat test them the same as the russians,
with the lack of conflict between the two they had no clear way of determining how well there equiptment would fare in war.
Also there was no Paratroop drop during '73 there was only one ever that was during '56
Old 01-19-2013, 05:28 AM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaur View Post
USA interdicted because of fears of Soviet support back then, not through any particularly altruistic desire.
In the Jewish world we all know that the late great Max Fisher probably had quite the largest role in getting Nixon off his tukhas. Golda knew who to call first in October of 1973. Israel was caught in a US-Soviet proxy war as well as an Egyptian-Syrian attack. It was the moral obligation of the US to stand up to the influence of the Soviet empire by countering their preplanned massive resupply efforts, so that Israel could do the fighting on the Arab fronts.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Dragon

garpk is on a distinguished road

It is hard to know for sure how much the American airlift helped Israel win the war. My personal opinion is that it had limited impact on the battlefield but enormous impact with the Generals planning the war. Would Sharon cross the Suez if he was not confident of a massive resupply effort undertaken by the Americans? Not sure, but most likely the Israeli generals were much more aggressive once they learned that Nixon promised to replace all equipment lost in the war by restoring Israeli equipment to pre-war levels. In fact, Israel was militarily stronger after the war then before. Arab Propaganda and the shock of initial intelligence failures and early success by Arab armies muted the battlefield victories.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by David of Galilee View Post
In the Jewish world we all know that the late great Max Fisher probably had quite the largest role in getting Nixon off his tukhas. Golda knew who to call first in October of 1973. Israel was caught in a US-Soviet proxy war as well as an Egyptian-Syrian attack. It was the moral obligation of the US to stand up to the influence of the Soviet empire by countering their preplanned massive resupply efforts, so that Israel could do the fighting on the Arab fronts.
David,

From later accounts, it has also emerged that it was a necessity for USA to intervene because both USA and USSR were confident Israel will slaughter Egyptian army to the last man and then start dealing with other adversaries one by one if the war goes on much longer.

USSR had for the second time in its history relegated nuclear launch authority to its boomer captains, the message was intended for Americans, not Israelis, and America's response was more a case of, "don't worry, we know the rules, Egypt won't be laid waste and Damascus won't go up in a 'shroom cloud from our end."

Just my 2 cents.
It is absolutely true in war, were other things equal, that numbers, whether men, shells, bombs, etc, would be supreme. Yet it is also absolutely true that other things are never equal and can never be equal - Maj.Gen. J. F. C. Fuller

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 AM
Dragon

Paparock is on a distinguished road
Arrow Another Video on Yom Kippur

If Israel would have accepted this Goyim as an immigrant; perhaps I would have been in this war as I was 23 and fresh out of the US Army. I know; Iím not Jewish so I wasn't but I would have volunteered just the same.

While my MOS's as an officer were Air Defense (Small Unit Missile Commander) and Field Artillery with experience in 105 and 155 Howitzers I did have some cross-training with armor. I remember listening to the radio in Dallas, Texas while they talked about the largest tank battles going on since World War II. I prayed constantly for Israel as it was all I could do.

Here is another Video on Yom Kippur:

Old 05-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Dragon

ishmael is on a distinguished road

My father was fighting in Egypt, he was very worried about the Gallil and wanted to come home and fight in north but the All Mighty made miracles and he came home in the end.

By the way Sharon did cross the Suez.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 AM

Belkin is on a distinguished road

No peace treaty with Egyptians would answer to that Israel done without US help already Syria on the run before any real US supplies arrive first place. Egyptian blame US not having victory said US not done anything pretend that. If US airlift had not happen Egypt like another war with Israel.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belkin View Post
No peace treaty with Egyptians would answer to that Israel done without US help already Syria on the run before any real US supplies arrive first place. Egyptian blame US not having victory said US not done anything pretend that. If US airlift had not happen Egypt like another war with Israel.
That is exactly what USSR feared actually.

USSR would be forced to directly intervene if US would not do so, for the simple reason that by the fag end of the war, there was a fear the Israelis will simply decimate the Egyptians and move on towards Damascus.

The Cold War was a time of paranoia, something good in hindsight since this paranoia ensured we all aren't living in glass plains.

Either ways, this stipulation that the USSR's direct entry in the war would be a given should Israel overwhelmingly start subduing other Middle Eastern states on its own, gave added impetus to America to intervene themselves and prevent such a situation from arising.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
That is exactly what USSR feared actually.

USSR would be forced to directly intervene if US would not do so, for the simple reason that by the fag end of the war, there was a fear the Israelis will simply decimate the Egyptians and move on towards Damascus.

The Cold War was a time of paranoia, something good in hindsight since this paranoia ensured we all aren't living in glass plains.

Either ways, this stipulation that the USSR's direct entry in the war would be a given should Israel overwhelmingly start subduing other Middle Eastern states on its own, gave added impetus to America to intervene themselves and prevent such a situation from arising.
It kind like reason USSR was doing own airlift in the first place do Israel push to Damascus beat the Arab force back.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

self deleted

Last edited by Knaur; 04-25-2014 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 04-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belkin View Post
It kind like reason USSR was doing own airlift in the first place do Israel push to Damascus beat the Arab force back.
True from their POV I guess, though I have not read of their accounts so I wouldn't know.

There is a belief among many observers that USSR feared Israel would obliterate Egypt and then start hacking down Damascus.

Back then in the peak of Cold War, Iraq and Syria used to be under the Soviet nuclear umbrella, USSR could not let its remaining clout over Middle East be ripped to shreds and thus would have been forced to use nuclear weapons, since they lacked the conventional means to stop an onslaught.

This is corroborated by the fact that USSR had delegated down nuclear release authority to the level of RPKSN Commanders, something which happened only twice or thrice during the whole existence of USSR.

Such an action would have undoubtedly forced the US to strike back at the Soviet mainland. Thus America was forced to intervene on the side of Israel not only to help it but to assure the Soviets that Israel would not go all out on the offensive.

Last edited by Knaur; 04-25-2014 at 03:26 PM..
Old 07-17-2014, 02:08 AM

Quote:
USa more send airleft because USSR send airleft. It pratice USSR airlift did little delay Israel match to Syria capitol city. No US airleft Egypt and Syria get beatn just badly if not worst. There be no peace because USA airleft Egypt blame USA rain victory match. Egypt face Israel beaten with out US help
Israel Forum