Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > General > Movies, Music & Games Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Movies, Music & Games Forum Movies, Music & Games Forum

Old 10-02-2011, 05:40 AM

Jacobtess is on a distinguished road
Default "Fight Club" Movie (1999)

I've recently taken it upon myself to watch as many popular classics/cult-classics/old, unanimously popular movies, and some of the best I've watched thus far are "A Clockwork Orange", "V for Vendetta", "Pulp Fiction", and "Taxi Driver".

I initially wrote off watching "Fight Club", despite numerous recommendations and it's perpetual presence on lists of top films, since the name sounded quite idiotic to be frank. But I decided to give the movie a shot, and I was shocked/amazed/thought-provoked (times 1,000,000,000).

For those of you who haven't seen it, here are some quick vids to give you the overall picture of this amazing movie. Whether or not they impress you, I urge anyone who hasn't seen this movie to watch it as soon as they can. It has unbelievable themes, a great plot, and incredible acting/quotes.

Check it out! Whoever has seen this, what do you think, and what has changed after you've seen this movie??
--Pirkei Avot 2:21
"I don't play accurately - any one can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression."
- Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
"The end of all things; all has been said: Fear G-d, and obey his commandments for that is the whole [duty] of man"-- Ecclesiastes
"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"--Dirtdiver, The Unit
Old 10-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

The first rule of the Fight Club is, you do not talk about the Fight Club

I'v seen it, its good entertainment, same as Pulp Fiction, but it didn't have any effect on my life if that is what you are asking. Its not my favourite either.
It is absolutely true in war, were other things equal, that numbers, whether men, shells, bombs, etc, would be supreme. Yet it is also absolutely true that other things are never equal and can never be equal - Maj.Gen. J. F. C. Fuller

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 10-04-2011, 12:42 AM

@Knaur, really, why didn't it change you at all?

And what similar movies do you find better?
"I don't play accurately - any one can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression."
"The end of all things; all has been said: Fear G-d, and obey his commandments for that is the whole [duty] of man"-- Ecclesiastes
Old 10-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobtess View Post
@Knaur, really, why didn't it change you at all?

And what similar movies do you find better?
Its a nice movie, but I mean its not life changing or anything, not for me anyway, to each his own. I tend to prefer war movies more.

By similar movies if you mean cult classics, I like Pulp Fiction and The Wild One.
It is absolutely true in war, were other things equal, that numbers, whether men, shells, bombs, etc, would be supreme. Yet it is also absolutely true that other things are never equal and can never be equal - Maj.Gen. J. F. C. Fuller

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 10-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Pulp Fiction.

Who can put ketchup on anything and not think of Uma.................

which of course leads to Kill Bill

Now there was a family movie! (both 1 and 2)
Old 10-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post

which of course leads to Kill Bill

Now there was a family movie! (both 1 and 2)
Heh I remember watching KB1 over dinner with my dad , fight scene between Beatrix and Gogo Yubari , good times

" Who'dya think is gonna win, son ;

Gonna be Uma dad, she's the main lead ;

Ah yes son, but the Oriental one, she's been looking real nasty and she's a mean hand with the chain hammer, what?"

Old 10-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Gogo Yubari.

What a nice girl.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:56 AM

@Knaur, what do you mean by war movies?

I began watching "Full Metal Jacket" since I loved "A Clockwork Orange" and wanted to see more of Kubrick's work. It's really a great film-- the desensitizing and dehumanizing of Marines in Vietnam. This scene was really overwhelming:

@Rafi,

I didn't know Kill Bill was a family movie; I wrote it off as some stupid ninja chick flick. Will check it out, thanks
Old 10-06-2011, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I began watching "Full Metal Jacket" since I loved "A Clockwork Orange" and wanted to see more of Kubrick's work. It's really a great film-- the desensitizing and dehumanizing of Marines in Vietnam.
Please don't take everything you see in these kinds of movies about RVN as truth. While Full Metal Jacket does have some very realistic scenes and certainly remains one of the better efforts from the film industry to depict the tragedy of Vietnam compared to nonsense like Oliver Stone's trash, other parts are factually incorrect or at least exaggerated for their shock effect. Dramatic license is utilized in order for Stanley Kubrick to make a point regarding his infamously anti-war sentiments and FMJ wasn't the first motion picture Kubrick did this in.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
@Knaur, what do you mean by war movies?
Movies related to a battle or with warfare as a general background, or having significant footage dealing with with military training, ops etc.

Tora Tora Tora, The Bridge on River Kwai, Zulu, Guns of Navaronne, A Bridge too far, The Great Escape, Das Boot, The Hunt for Red October, Hurt Locker etc are nice ones.

My personal favourite is Savior, but a must watch is Seven Samurai, excellent movie, and no matter what anyone says its a war movie first and foremost.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:12 PM

TV-PressPass is on a distinguished road

I've met Chuck Palanhiuk, the author who wrote Fight Club in the mid-90s a few times now and found him to be a fascinating person.
I've watched that film every new years eve for the past 6 years. But thats the only time I really watch it anymore. There are some great concepts and great lessons in Fight Club, but I take different things from it now than I did when I was 19.
Still a classic, and definitely in the right vein for the other movies you've listed.

In HD: vimeo.com/channels/blackrifles
Good Ol' Youtube username: WildGunmenOsborne

Me is who,
Who is me,
He is she,
and dogs a fish
Old 07-26-2012, 01:44 AM

Fiesty sick is on a distinguished road

Thank you :)
Israel Forum