Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Physical Fitness
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Physical Fitness your guide to physical fitness, training methods

Old 08-06-2010, 09:48 PM

Hebrewhammer is on a distinguished road
Default Question about medical profile

I am planning on joining the idf through the mahal program. I have a back issue from playing football back in high school. The injury will always be there (I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back) unless I choose to have surgery, which I won't do because I"ve been living with the pain for years and I have been able to minimize my discomfort through physical rehabilitation. I want to serve in a kravi unit more then anything, and I'm afraid that if the idf knows that I have a back issue, I'll be screwed. So I guess my question is, if I have a back injury but have done enough rehab to the point were the discomfort is very minimal, would I able to serve in combat if I told the IDF "yes I have a pre existing injury, but it no longer causes the discomfort that it once did." OR will the IDF just see that I have a back injury and rule me out even though in my case the pain is only minimal and occasional thanks to all the rehab I've done. I am in very good shape and would be devastated if an old football injury kept me out of kravi, it just wouldn't be right. I appreciate the help.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Dragon

Forums_Addict is on a distinguished road

Hi, welcome to the forum. Someone will be along to give you advice and in the meantime perhaps you would like to have a look at the thread link below.

http://israelmilitary.net/showthread.php?t=15369
Old 08-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Gold Member

milluim is on a distinguished road

You will be assigned a unit based on your profile.
You will have to do a medical and pshyc tests the overall score will determine where you serve.
You cant lie about any injury you have to do that would be dangerous ie think of doing a parachute jump with a bad back you could break your spine.

Its about serving Israel not getting a gun and beig a Kravi.
Jobniks are people too you know!!
Old 08-07-2010, 02:33 PM

hey I never said I wouldn't join if I didn't get kravi. I just want to know what my possibilities are for my situation so I can start to figure out the options Id would put on my preferences.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Gold Member

Americal is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't mess around with your back. I just had back surgery three months ago and I'm just beginning to feel up to par. Anyway, like Forums Addict said someone with the answers will be around.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Gold Member

The honost answer is no one here will be able to tell you we dont have a Gibbush doctor here.
Ill give you a little example
A guy I know was trying to get out he was a driver so he said he drank a lot the Sabre doctor said he drank too much when he went to another doctor who was a russian olim he asked him how much he drank my friend said oh about 8 or 9 vodkas a day the doctor laughed and said problem thats not a problem!!!
needless to say his plan didnt work and he still drives around.

the moral is it could go anyway where you could end up being in a unit or being behind the desk. Just never even contemplate not telling because you could put your team members lives at stake. I would suggest as your first preference the Armour corp you would have the best chance of seeing some action. (from a safe distance that is : )
Old 08-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Dragon

As it is the sabbath one or two people that may possibly be able to help you will hopefully answer in time.

I would imagine, but am not too sure, that at the very least a medical document from your family doctor at home is required as well. He or she won't lie under any circumstances. Joining elite units is in the heart of most who get a chance to join up. You say pain can be controlled, but what happens if it can't and the pain gets out of control due to unnecessary strain put on it. Who is going to prescribe morphine for you. Do you want to be laid up in some infirmary having perhaps surgery. What happens if your back 'goes' at a crucial time in your miltary operations.

It is best to be honest with everyone. You know it makes sense. Yes it may be hard to accept, but the fact that you are going there get you the utmost respect from all on here, and of course from your family and friends.

We wish you all the very best, and be safe, and thank you for helping Israel.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks for all the responses, I obviously would not lie about my injury, no matter how temping it may be, I understand that it would put others in an unfair situation. I just hope that I can at least get a chance to prove myself physically, rather then get ruled out from the beginning. It's a long schlep from Florida, so I'd like to have the chance to prove myself.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Dragon

The only way to prove yourself is to grab any opportunity given to you and do your very best. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Gold Member

indeed you will get the chance to prove yourself.
I wish you the best of luck and remember no matter what you do in the end you will be wearing the uniform of Israel the army is the nation and the nation is the army Hashems chosen army.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:58 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrewhammer View Post
Thanks for all the responses, I obviously would not lie about my injury, no matter how temping it may be, I understand that it would put others in an unfair situation. I just hope that I can at least get a chance to prove myself physically, rather then get ruled out from the beginning. It's a long schlep from Florida, so I'd like to have the chance to prove myself.
Sorry it took me a while to get to this thread, I don't log on during Shabbat.

You will get many varied answers to your question, the best being that only an IDF doctor can decide what your profile will be. Also, keep in mind in order to get into MAHAL, you will need a letter from your family physician stating that in his professional opinion you can serve. The IDF doctor will take this into consideration after examining you, but that is it.

Now, from the other side of the coin. As a unit leader, I have to assign soldiers to tasks based on my current manpower, and what each and every one can do. It is very very difficult to get out of a unit becase it is near impossible for me to get a warm body to replace you if I have to give you up. So I'm not going to be happy to get a back surprise into my unit. in the end it is the guys you bunk with who will be screwed. They will cover your watch until you leave because you will not be combat rostered. What will be the biggest burn of all is that there is no manpower shortage in the IDF so I didn't have to get you so you'd have the chance to prove yourself. Go in. see what you are capable of and make the contribution. You will love it regardless of what you do.

Lastly, for the heavy part. A fact of history. During the early hours of the Yom Kippur War, Israel retreated from the Golan Heights. That meant a forced march, carrying wounded for over twenty kilometers in some cases. Just like in the movies and in Imunim. People died becase people lied about their medical profiles. No fancy talk, that is what happened. So you can already get my feeling on the subject.

Wear the uniform and you will get all the kavod you are looking for. Just always remember, you will get allot more out of this than the IDF will. I would never again mention the fact that it is a long schlep from Florida. There are still guys in Israel who walked there from Poland in the late 1940s. These 85 year olds will beat you up if you whine in front of them. This is just some just some advice from a guy from New Jersey who made the long schlep, has 35 years in the IDF under his belt and loved (almost) every minute of it.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:14 PM

Rafi it sounds a lot like your trying to let me down easy about my chances. Secondly when I say schlep, I'm including the family that I will be leaving behind for 2 years so excuse me if I'm not allowed to be dissapointed if I can't get on a kravi unit. Also if im schelping to a place thousands of miles away with no idea what awaits, im obviously going to try to find out everything i can about my chances. Also why doesn't someone just tell me they they've never had a kravi soldier with a bad back because that's what a lot of these posts seem to say. I'm also not an idiot, I just want the straightest answer about if I will be able to make a case for myself, and have a REALISTIC shot at getting into a unit in the field. If it really is so up in the air and it differs from doctor to doctor then so be it. But just give it to me straight, do you know of anyone with a back problem that was able so serve in a kravi unit, that's all I wanna know. That way I will be able to figure out what I AM eligible to do. Shabbat shalom.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Rafi it sounds a lot like your trying to let me down easy about my chances. Secondly when I say schlep, I'm including the family that I will be leaving behind for 2 years so excuse me if I'm not allowed to be dissapointed if I can't get on a kravi unit. Also if im schelping to a place thousands of miles away with no idea what awaits, im obviously going to try to find out everything i can about my chances. Also why doesn't someone just tell me they they've never had a kravi soldier with a bad back because that's what a lot of these posts seem to say. I'm also not an idiot, I just want the straightest answer about if I will be able to make a case for myself, and have a REALISTIC shot at getting into a unit in the field. If it really is so up in the air and it differs from doctor to doctor then so be it. But just give it to me straight, do you know of anyone with a back problem that was able so serve in a kravi unit, that's all I wanna know. That way I will be able to figure out what I AM eligible to do. Shabbat shalom.

No-one on here is likely to know about the health matters of people serving in the IDF. I hope you find the answer you are looking for. Perhaps the Mahal office can help you. Have you asked them?

Last edited by Forums_Addict; 08-08-2010 at 03:36 PM..
Old 08-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
In order for me to answer that question, I first have to ask a question to you.

You can be a company clerk, warehouse clerk, driver, or cook in a combat unit. Is this what you want or mean? Would your answer change if you got the weapon and the unit badge, but you are still a cook?

More than 90% of all MAHAl soldiers, probably 95% serve in Infantry. As a straight infantry soldier, it is dependant on what your doctor says, and then how the IDF doctor decides to read it.

I offered you advice regarding an Israelis viewpoint of your sacrafice.
I offered it as someone who actually did the path you are talking about. Play it and then challenge it being questioned, and you will undoubtedly spend your service moving large rocks from one place to another as an Oved Rasar. And that would be bad for your back.

Good luck to you,
Rafi
Old 08-08-2010, 05:39 PM

Rafi I appreciate the advice and to answer your question. I want to try to be in the field because I would then be used to my full potential. I wouldn't feel like I was being used to my full potential ask a clerk or the other jobs you listed, that's my only conern.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:33 PM

Oh and another quick question, could I at least get a 72 on my medical profile with my back issue, also what if you wear contact lenses?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Oh and another quick question, could I at least get a 72 on my medical profile with my back issue, also what if you wear contact lenses?
It would be so unfair for anyone to tell you they know what your profile will be. You haven't been completely forthcoming again, making it hard to
answer your question about contacts. Are you blind without them?

The bottom line is that until you sign on the dotted line and then have a doctor evaluate you, you are not going to know the answer for certain.
So you have to decide what to do next.

What qualifications in hebrew do you have? That will again narrow your options.

Are you sure your "full potential" is in the field as you say? Maybe you can bring a gift or natural ability to something far more useful to the IDF. You do get an assignment interview, what is it excatly you want to do in the IDF and why? No, that is not a request for a post, that is for you to prepare in your mind for the interview.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Dragon

HideNSeek is on a distinguished road

No one can tell the a definitive answer. This is a forum, no one can examine you, just give you some vague advice. I would think long and hard about what your getting into. You say your back doesn't really bother you, but find some heavy dumbbells put them in a backpack. Than wait for a nice scorching day, and jog through the hills for about 50km with that backpack. Tell me how your back feels.

I remember watching a clip of a movie "Double Whammy", it's dumb, but it might have a moral in it for you (don't mess around with a bad back).

In the end it's up to you, if your back is really fine, that's one thing. But trying to cover it up, will only hurt you and those serving with you. About the lenses, it depends on how well you can see without them.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:00 AM

Does anybody know how good your vision needs to be then,or can direct me to that answer I would appreciate that.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Does anybody know how good your vision needs to be then,or can direct me to that answer I would appreciate that.

On our website, the first piece of advice we offer everyone who is interested in enlisting in the IDF is to read the website
below. We mention it in many places. I do not believe you have yet. Otherwise you might have seen the questions below.

I am not certain if you speak any languages other than English. If so, I would like to have it explained to you in that language that no one other than the IDF doctor, in the room with you during your exam, can give you the answers to the questions you are asking.

So read the web site below, and when complete if you have any further questions, the site offers the phone numbers of the english speaking clerks in the Draft Board in Israel. You can call them and get the exact same answers from them.

http://www.mahal-idf-volunteers.org/...tm#eyeproblems

Fitness and health
How does my IDF profile influence my job assignment?
How physically fit do I have to be?
What are the military's fitness standards (run times and distances, push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups etc)?
Who will take care of my personal affairs (medical insurance, accommodation, etc.)?
I have problems with my health. Can I still volunteer?
Can Mahal-IDF-Volunteers.org help me find out my health profile?
I have poor eye sight.Are there any vision requirements, or restrictions for those who wear glasses (particularly in the sayerot)?
I have flat feetI might not be eligible for a combat unit for health reasons. How could I help out in a non-combat unit?

Last edited by rafi; 08-09-2010 at 12:24 PM..
Israel Forum