Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Physical Fitness
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Physical Fitness your guide to physical fitness, training methods

Old 11-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

You should know that Loof does have a cult following. Up to and including Loof bake-offs. Some people are pretty creative.

And it is a standing joke amongst those of us who served. I have a picture of me sitting next to a pyramid of Loof cans. (No, not gonna share). And I do have one on my office desk.

Every so often you can catch a can on eBay.

Oh, abouthte name. Typical Israeli SNAFU. The word, in hebrew transliterated is, in fact "Loaf" as in meat loaf. Fifty years ago it started to be called loof, and the name stuck. Despite the correct hebrew spelling on the can.

We are a funny people.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:08 AM
Gold Member

Americal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
You should know that Loof does have a cult following. Up to and including Loof bake-offs. Some people are pretty creative.

And it is a standing joke amongst those of us who served. I have a picture of me sitting next to a pyramid of Loof cans. (No, not gonna share). And I do have one on my office desk.

Every so often you can catch a can on eBay.

Oh, abouthte name. Typical Israeli SNAFU. The word, in hebrew transliterated is, in fact "Loaf" as in meat loaf. Fifty years ago it started to be called loof, and the name stuck. Despite the correct hebrew spelling on the can.

We are a funny people.
Well thinking back on my military time stateside and in the nam and the things we use to do to each other puts me in no position to be sitting in the seat of judgement of your guys peculiar ways.

I knew that ya'al were a very creative people but I had know idea at all how gifted you were. Oh, by the way Rafi you can share that pic with me if you like. I'm certainly a trust worthy type that wouldn't share with any else...promise.

Its funny how factual names morph into something else and stick, enjoy your Loof...
Old 07-30-2011, 03:40 AM

wilderness011 is on a distinguished road

The falafels should be used to carry around with you in a can :)
Old 07-30-2011, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americal View Post
If I was headed for the bush I'd grab tins of chocolate, pound cake and peaches out of the C-rations box. Do your troops get anything like that
to eat?
When I got it by luck of the draw, most of the time I'd trade that really good pound cake in my C's for the smokes and waterproof matches from the accessory pack.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:43 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelli View Post
When I got it by luck of the draw, most of the time I'd trade that really good pound cake in my C's for the smokes and waterproof matches from the accessory pack.
I don't remember any accessory pack in our ration boxes. Of course though I was going for the peaches, pound cake, peanut butter tins and crackers....Heck, I'd rip your face off if you got in my way of getting the pound cake. I never had a hankering for smokin' so if I had known you back then trading pc for smokes would have made me feel like I was ripping you off.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
I don't remember any accessory pack in our ration boxes. Of course though I was going for the peaches, pound cake, peanut butter tins and crackers....Heck, I'd rip your face off if you got in my way of getting the pound cake. I never had a hankering for smokin' so if I had known you back then trading pc for smokes would have made me feel like I was ripping you off.
Your memory is fadin', bro. Too many years on the gun line!

The accessory pack was that dark brown sealed tear-open packet in every B-1, B-2 and B-3 C-ration unit that contained smokes, waterproof matches, salt, powdered coffee/cocoa, toilet paper, chewing gum etc.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Your memory is fadin', bro. Too many years on the gun line!

The accessory pack was that dark brown sealed tear-open packet in every B-1, B-2 and B-3 C-ration unit that contained smokes, waterproof matches, salt, powdered coffee/cocoa, toilet paper, chewing gum etc.
Your right scelli. Its a fadin'. However, you have jogged my memory banks once again and I do remember the dark brown packet. I believe I knew what was in them so I would give them a toss and go for what I liked. There was never a shortage of the C's and on some firebases there were bookoo cases stacked in the hootch. I tell ya, they were'nt bad when you were really hungry.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Your right scelli. Its a fadin'. However, you have jogged my memory banks once again and I do remember the dark brown packet. I believe I knew what was in them so I would give them a toss and go for what I liked. There was never a shortage of the C's and on some firebases there were bookoo cases stacked in the hootch. I tell ya, they were'nt bad when you were really hungry.
When straight leg grunt units I was with had M113 mechanized support attached to them (or even the occasional M60 tank), those crews always carried a combat load-out in their vehicles of at least 2 cases of C's. They guarded those rations more than they did any live ammo as the chow had a way of disappearing into the night sometimes...if you know what I mean.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
When straight leg grunt units I was with had M113 mechanized support attached to them (or even the occasional M60 tank), those crews always carried a combat load-out in their vehicles of at least 2 cases of C's. They guarded those rations more than they did any live ammo as the chow had a way of disappearing into the night sometimes...if you know what I mean.
Boy howdy...do I ever! When we were heading to Laos on a ammo mission there was very little time to be picky about your C's. Two to four cases thrown on board and the way you went. You always, always knew where your rations were and they "stayed" where you put'em. I was never one that would snoop around seeing what I could fine.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Speaking of pound cake.....I opened a box of MRE's yesterday and I found pound cake...get this. There was vanilla, spice, almond poppy seed, marble and lemon pound cake. I expected to find a can of whipped cream or maybe a cigar orrr some Laphoaig.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Laphroaig!

Now we're talkin!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
Laphroaig!

Now we're talkin!
Yes we are. I like a neat nip every once in the while.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:45 AM

Vincent is on a distinguished road

Here i am going to show you my diet plan.
1. Eat simple bread with fresh juice in breakfast.
2. Eat vegetable role or fresh salads in lunch.
3. You can take green tea at 4:00 PM.
4. Eat boiled rice in dinner.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:22 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post

Sounds good Vincent. For me I'd like to make some substitutions and add ons.

Lots of real butter on home made bread. Tons of dressing on the salad. Chuck the green tea for a coke. I'll keep the boiled rice and add cream gravy made from the drippings from frying pork chops. Oh, eat the pork chops.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Sounds good Vincent. For me I'd like to make some substitutions and add ons.

Lots of real butter on home made bread. Tons of dressing on the salad. Chuck the green tea for a coke. I'll keep the boiled rice and add cream gravy made from the drippings from frying pork chops. Oh, eat the pork chops.
King of the Pogey Bait!

Old 09-16-2011, 02:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
King of the Pogey Bait!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post

On the serious side of me Vincent is that your diet sounds find for you. Myself, if I was dieting I'd have to have more fruit and vegetables. I would also add more protein with beans or fish and white meat no red meat. And I really like boiled rice. You ever tried boiled rice and cranberries together? I did last night and it wasn't bad.
Israel Forum