Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Physical Fitness
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Physical Fitness your guide to physical fitness, training methods

Old 12-09-2009, 05:32 PM

IDF STRYK3R is on a distinguished road
Default Fitness Numbers

Im 16, planning on joining the IDF when im 21-23 (live in US).
I can do a 7:30 mile, 35 pushups, and about 71 sit ups in one minute. I can also do 25 pull ups, 30 chin ups. Is this good enough for the IDF, because ive seen that i need to do 86 pushups and ive seen that you just have to max out at your personal best. I am lost. haha thanks in advance!
Old 12-10-2009, 01:48 AM

Familyguydude is on a distinguished road

No need to worry about those things now, you still have 5 years minimum! I was also at around the same fitness level at your age, and my advise is to just join the gym and keep working out throughout your college years. Do this and you should be in better shape than many of the Israelis joining the army at 18. Besides that, the army doesn't expect you to be super built when first joining. They will take you and help you train your way up to the requirements.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Gold Member

Topmaul is on a distinguished road

You want to be in functional fit shape not metrosexual shape. I mean be real strong like a brick layer not a body builder. Very different strenghts. Eat right you'll be fine, oh one thing always keep the right form in your exercises.

Also look at Pavel and Dragondoor.com for real warrior strenght training.
His rucksack weighs what he weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him
The True believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'... he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700... he is home.
He knows only the cause...
Now, who wants to quit?
Old 12-20-2009, 04:13 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Guys who show up at enlistment day 250 pounds and 5'6" are taken into the IDF. You are then assigned according to your capabilities.

No one is looking for superman, and it would be a lie to tell you there are extra benefits in being, well, GI Joe.

The hardest adjustment to army life is your first week in. You spend it discovering that no matter how special, how intelligent, how successful, how buff, how superior a human being you are, you are the same pile of dung as the guy dressed in green standing next to you. You will think at first it is a plot against you, but the system is made to make you get over it.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymevrick View Post
Well I was also at around the same fitness level at your age, and my advise is to just join the gym and keep working out throughout your college years. Do this and you should be in better shape than many of the Israelis joining the army at 18.
Is that better with or without the Xanax being pedaled in your signature?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Retired

odie072 is on a distinguished road

Quote by Rafi: The hardest adjustment to army life is your first week in. You spend it discovering that no matter how special, how intelligent, how successful, how buff, how superior a human being you are, you are the same pile of dung as the guy dressed in green standing next to you. You will think at first it is a plot against you, but the system is made to make you get over it.

That's priceless. The best I've ever heard it described, especially when your standing there with no hair on your head!.

odie072
Old 09-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelli View Post
Is that better with or without the Xanax being pedaled in your signature?
Our XANAX peddler is gone.

People are so used to just clicking yes when they read Terms of Service, they are stunned when they are enforced.

We are here because we love you all, not because we want to sell you stuff. (OK, so maybe we don't love all of you). And while many posters are walking advertisements for XANAX, we don't endorse promote nor sell any products here.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie072 View Post
Quote by Rafi: The hardest adjustment to army life is your first week in. You spend it discovering that no matter how special, how intelligent, how successful, how buff, how superior a human being you are, you are the same pile of dung as the guy dressed in green standing next to you. You will think at first it is a plot against you, but the system is made to make you get over it.

That's priceless. The best I've ever heard it described, especially when your standing there with no hair on your head!.

odie072
It really is true. On the other hand, the first time you put on maadim (the uniform), well, Istill remember it as one of the best memories of my life. Only bested maybe by the first time I wentto the Kotel in uniform.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:20 PM

Herschel is on a distinguished road

I remember standing outside on the yellow painted footprints, the unfamiliar smells, the cold evening air, the diesel bus exhaust as these triangular-shaped giants in Smokey Hats ranted, raved, screamed, welcomed us to hell and told us how our lives were over. What great memories!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:26 PM

sabre is on a distinguished road

I agree the physical is the easy part and from the sound of it you will have no problems unless you change your activity drastically ( the wrong way ) ... hardest part will be mental
Old 03-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
I remember standing outside on the yellow painted footprints, the unfamiliar smells, the cold evening air, the diesel bus exhaust as these triangular-shaped giants in Smokey Hats ranted, raved, screamed, welcomed us to hell and told us how our lives were over. What great memories!
Funny the kind of stuff a person remembers. For me that was four decades ago and a late July night so the air was hot and humid, but everything else you describe is exactly the way it was during those first initial minutes, hours, days and weeks. Strange scents like the unique smell of our initial issue clothing, the chow being cooked up in the mess halls that drifted throughout the atmosphere, the stench of cordite on firing ranges...and on and on and on.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:01 AM

trott600 is on a distinguished road

Fitness is very important role to the IMS because when the member is fit then its duty very care and responsibility, they should daily exercise to fil the body and health specially running and gym are good exercise and diet are also very important role to the fitness to body and health.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:29 AM
Dragon

ishmael is on a distinguished road

when i was a boy i worked with animals ALL day throwing hay bundles and fighting rams, and goats. When i was in army I found it easy! My father waked me at dark and I went home at dark.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
when i was a boy i worked with animals ALL day throwing hay bundles and fighting rams, and goats. When i was in army I found it easy! My father waked me at dark and I went home at dark.
I love animals, specially dogs. I can't willingly hurt animals, hunting is fine but no inhumane slaughtering for fun.
It is absolutely true in war, were other things equal, that numbers, whether men, shells, bombs, etc, would be supreme. Yet it is also absolutely true that other things are never equal and can never be equal - Maj.Gen. J. F. C. Fuller

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 11-05-2013, 04:00 AM
Dragon

ishmael is on a distinguished road

I never killed any, the ones we ate my father killed.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:59 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
I never killed any, the ones we ate my father killed.
This was, of course, before he moved to Chicago.