Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Physical Fitness
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Physical Fitness your guide to physical fitness, training methods

Old 11-25-2012, 05:36 PM

12unit is on a distinguished road
Default Israeli army Health Profile

hello everyone
I am a Jew from Florida and i am making aliyah next year and i will be 23 years old when i get to Israel and it looks like i will have to do army service as i am under the age of 25 however i am concerned about being underweight, i am 169 centimeters tall and i weight about 49.9 kilos and a friend of mine told me that being underweight will get me a health profile of 64 which would give me the boot for combat. i was wondering if any of you can shed some light on this issue for me?

edit: I have nothing else wrong with my body i have normal blood pressure my joints work great my bones are strong ETC.

Last edited by 12unit; 11-25-2012 at 05:59 PM..
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 PM

AlexHamburg is on a distinguished road
Default body mass index

You find the calculator at this adress http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmi-m.htm

the calculator says that your BMI is 17.2 (Underweight = <18.5). Normal weight = 18.524.9

In Kg that means you should have a weight of round about 64.410 kg with 23 years.

But cant be so hard to get the weight .. go to a body building center, speak to the trainer, that you need to gain weight, eat some of this weight gainers .. train some muscles and your BMI problem is solved.

A friend of mine was rather slim and he did the same, he made some bodybuilding training and got muscles and weight and a lot of beautiful girlfriends ;)
Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Actually, pending on the exact date and age you arrive in Israel, you may never actually serve a single day in the IDF. As there is a year residency requirement prior to serving, there is a chance you will simply age out. You could easily end up in the "reserve pool".

Whoever gave you the information about your weight and it's potential impact on where you might serve does not know what he is talking about. In a country where everyone serves(other than the famous exceptions), there are always people of all sizes and weights in almost every general conscription branch.

You were given excellent advice about consulting the official IDF sites. I would also recommend you visit the web site in my signature below.

Rafi
Old 11-26-2012, 03:40 AM

12unit is on a distinguished road

what is the reserve pool like? is that the miluim?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:08 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12unit View Post
what is the reserve pool like? is that the miluim?
The reserve pool is a data base of civilians who for one reason or another never serve in the IDF, but their name is kept on file in the event a national emergency warrants a greater number of soldiers than tsahal has available. This list is usually comprised of 25 to say,40 year olds.

I do not know you, your background, your education, your civilian history (police record if there is one), drug use history or if you are a licensed pilot fluent in hebrew, the only language spoken in the IDF. So I cannot say if you have special skills desirable to the IDF.

Some 24 year olds get 6 months infantry training to prepare them for a decade or two of reserves, others do not. Other than special circumstances, miluim right now in Israel is no more than 24 days a year. Obviously, intense focus on the other 340 is a key to a succesful life in Israel.

I suspect the military will play a minimal role in your new life in Israel. I would focus on language and marketable job skills.

Good luck to you!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:19 AM

Jacobtess is on a distinguished road

rafi, or anyone else on the board, is there any way to find the specific list of health criteria the IDF bases it's profile on?

I've been looking for a conclusive list; all I know is not having undergone surgery, eyesight issues, flat feet, weight, sweating, heart problems, but I don't know what else and to what extent each criterion affects.

Is there any way to find out?

The US army has tons of online data on everything. Obviously, with the IDF, much has to be kept secret; loose lips sink ships. But surely the health criteria on which one's physical profile is based is not a security concern?

So: Is there any list of health criteria for the physical profile in the IDF?
--Pirkei Avot 2:21
"I don't play accurately - any one can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression."
- Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
"The end of all things; all has been said: Fear G-d, and obey his commandments for that is the whole [duty] of man"-- Ecclesiastes
"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"--Dirtdiver, The Unit
Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 AM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

Probably not all that secretive. Almost 300,000 soldiers on active, with nearly a half-million reservists. Secrets? Just when there has to be...

I've seen obese, clubfooted, blind, hunchbacked and even one-legged soldiers here. Yet an immigrant friend of mine, at age 21, in great shape and with fluent Hebrew, was told he couldn't go into tanks in the armoured corps. That was his life-long dream. But he was over 193 cm, and full-bodied (but not fat). They said he wouldn't fit in the tank, and that they had no clothing big enough for him.

So what happened?

He ended up driving a Merkava tank and after serving several year (but not three) eventually ended up doing several months of milu'im/reserve duty every year usually in places like South Lebanon and Sh'khem.

He never took any first "NOs" or other refusals seriously. But he did have the fluent (albeit yeshiva) Hebrew to argue with.

Still have a photo of him on his time off during milu'im, sunbathing on a Jenin rooftop with an anti-dehydration IV drip attached to his veins.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

As mentioned - there is a world of "common knowledge" criterea that is generally applied.

Then, there are the "one-offs". That is everyone's best friends cousins mother who knew a guy who..........
More often then not, these are not actual true stories, but in a group of 300,000 there may sometimes be as many as 10 people who broke the mold. This then empowers another 7,000 enlistees to sincerely believe they are going to be in the next group of ten.

The biggest issue with a medical profile is the 100% subjective authority granted to the inspecting Military Medical evaluator. It is difficult for Americans in particular to grasp a military system of tyrrany and it's relationship to such concepts as "my bill of rights enablements", my mommy always was able to negotiate whatever I wanted in life, and of course the repulsive notion that Israel has the audacity, in addition to clearly ignoring the Bill of Rights to conduct business in a language that is not english, they use a foreign system of logic to make decisions. That is not to say that the US military is any easier to negotiate, it simply means that when they are talking about you as if you are not even in the room, you can at least follow along in english.

If I were to print out for you a concrete list of unwavering rules and standards for enlistment, I would say it would be adhered to about 99.5% of the time. The problem of course is that the other .5% represents thousands of completely arbitrary decisions with no grounding in reality that can only be appealed in hebrew via a social, legal and military system that you simply did not grow up in nor have any chance of understanding.

All that being said, there are in fact soldiers in the IDF who were 100% perfectly healthy, but were issued a profile of 72 because the doctor got the feeling they "looked frail".

That's the way it is.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Dragon

You've got that right 101% Rafi--a different system of logic. As befits us Asiatics! Different, but not worse. I couldn't function with the American mentality, but no offense--each culture is best for its own people.

I should stress that my friend who made it into the armoured corps was extremely fit, and as said was dead fluent in modern Hebrew, and had two years at Yeshiva University in NYC. He also had already processed his Aliyah, had a Te'udat Zehut card, and had a home on a kibbutz, which became his lone soldier "family" later on, and had been in the country over a year.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Jacobtess is on a distinguished road

Lol rafi, isn't is a bit defeatist to say I don't have any chance of understanding this sytem? If I thought like that, I would remain in America, go to a fancy- Ivy League college and give up on everything that is hard but worthwhile in life. So I don't really agree with that Of course, you know better but it's difficult for me to agree with that mindset.

&David, we all have different ideas of what fit means. In my mind, extremely fit means being physically able to do an ultramarathon or an Ironman-distance triathlon. Others would say being able to swim 10 miles constitutes extreme fitness, while yet others say being able to do 50 pushups is a benchmark of extreme fitness. What do you mean, specifically?

I want to clarify that I'm not looking for any special loopholes here; I plan on doing MAHAL for 14 months and yeshiva for 7, because the best college I could get into would only allow me to defer for that amount of time. As a result, I don't have the luxury of planning to try out for any special ops units. I'm willing to serve in whatever capacity is necessary. I'd just rather use my physical body now than my elementary but nonetheless good cooking skills :)
--Pirkei Avot 2:21
"I don't play accurately - any one can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression."
- Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
"The end of all things; all has been said: Fear G-d, and obey his commandments for that is the whole [duty] of man"-- Ecclesiastes
"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"--Dirtdiver, The Unit
Old 11-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobtess View Post
Lol rafi, isn't is a bit defeatist to say I don't have any chance of understanding this sytem? If I thought like that, I would remain in America, go to a fancy- Ivy League college and give up on everything that is hard but worthwhile in life. So I don't really agree with that Of course, you know better but it's difficult for me to agree with that mindset.

&David, we all have different ideas of what fit means. In my mind, extremely fit means being physically able to do an ultramarathon or an Ironman-distance triathlon. Others would say being able to swim 10 miles constitutes extreme fitness, while yet others say being able to do 50 pushups is a benchmark of extreme fitness. What do you mean, specifically?

I want to clarify that I'm not looking for any special loopholes here; I plan on doing MAHAL for 14 months and yeshiva for 7, because the best college I could get into would only allow me to defer for that amount of time. As a result, I don't have the luxury of planning to try out for any special ops units. I'm willing to serve in whatever capacity is necessary. I'd just rather use my physical body now than my elementary but nonetheless good cooking skills :)
Fitness as I meant: Long distance running ability, with pack. Running up and down steep hills (while screaming loudly). But maybe being in the right place at the right time helped--one never knows. I know his fluent Hebrew helped, but I can't say for certain that his obsessive prep was key. Maybe just being generally fit would have done it. I've got to say, he was bright, and a quick study, and maybe someone picked up on that.

But as Rafi suggests, you can't anticipate the system beyond a few common sense points.

The plus side is that many proud and happy Israelis born and raised in America have successfully served their country in uniform. I am always very impressed with anyone who lands in Israel, and a year later is in the army, and despite some complaints here and there, they are happy to be here. And I am even more in awe of those that are still here 10 years after that, married with kids and mortgage!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

Man I envy you guys who can cook, I v been living alone on and off since 17, my sister is a renowned chef and I survive on takeaways! Every day, seriously, can't even cook instant noodles well!

In my veins runs the blood of the poets and wise men of old, and it is my desire to come to you and receive, but I shall not come with empty hands - Kahlil Gibran
Israel Forum