Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Physical Fitness
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Physical Fitness your guide to physical fitness, training methods

Old 09-26-2011, 03:49 AM

Jacobtess is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Soccer!

Haha, I actually recently discovered soccer this summer, and just love the sport better than any other sport I've mastered. (Basketball was replaced by swimming, and I still swim but also play soccer). Though swimming probably works out way more muscles (After a year on the team, I saw muscles I never knew existed), soccer is by far the most challenging sport I've played in my entire 16 years of existence. Talent, mental endurance, confidence, team-building are REALLY super-evident in soccer.

Since I got bored of performing tricks on my own, I decided to organize and set up a soccer game one Sunday. 14 people turned up, and we played for hours. Some were from the team at high school, and some were Israeli, and I actually played insanely well for the first time in a full game, thank G-d; confidence is really a major factor in getting what you want (I was sore the whole week afterward though!). This weekend, we got about 9 people, but 5 Russians (in their 20's/late teens) asked to join after watching us, and I agreed to let them in. These guys were able to play without a rest, without even drinking an ounce of water in the several water breaks I called. A true demonstration of mental power and agility.

As a recommendation to anybody my age or in their teens on this forum who's looking for a sport that will help them surpass any mental limits and will help increase overall fitness in a dramatic way, I'd definitely recommend soccer (and secondarily, swimming).

Any pros/ old army vets who can attest to the reality/truth my advice? And if anybody has an interesting anecdote or piece of advice about soccer, the game, tips etc., I'd love to hear!
--Pirkei Avot 2:21
"I don't play accurately - any one can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression."
- Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
"The end of all things; all has been said: Fear G-d, and obey his commandments for that is the whole [duty] of man"-- Ecclesiastes
"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"--Dirtdiver, The Unit
Old 09-26-2011, 04:36 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Left wing since age 16, level C referee.

When I speak of cultural differences, one of them is that most of the world spends until age 10 with a soccer ball attached to their foot.
Israel is no different.

Congratulations on finishing your first whole game!

Last edited by rafi; 09-26-2011 at 05:01 AM..
Old 09-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Dragon

janetnjohn is on a distinguished road

left back defence and left wing before taking up cricket and breaking down with injury!!!

trust and believe in your own ability, give evrything you have during a game. and on fitness, be sure to build the muscles up around your knees to help prevent injury

I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence,

"I ask then, has God rejected His people? By no means! God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. For the gifts and call of God are irrevocable."
(Romans 11:1,2,29)
Old 09-27-2011, 04:11 AM

Thanks rafi!

And yep, janet, one of the Russians I played with showed me a scar from shin surgery he had. Nasty stuff......

Why the heck has America not made soccer into it's most popular sport? The talent/skill/energy required to play "American football" is NOTHING compared to soccer.( Not to say that "American football" does require some talent/skill/energy to those football lovers out there )
"I don't play accurately - any one can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression."
"The end of all things; all has been said: Fear G-d, and obey his commandments for that is the whole [duty] of man"-- Ecclesiastes
Old 09-27-2011, 05:50 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobtess View Post
Thanks rafi!

And yep, janet, one of the Russians I played with showed me a scar from shin surgery he had. Nasty stuff......

Why the heck has America not made soccer into it's most popular sport? The talent/skill/energy required to play "American football" is NOTHING compared to soccer.( Not to say that "American football" does require some talent/skill/energy to those football lovers out there )
It is the most played sport in the United States until about age 12 to 14. Then other factors settle in that remove as much as 70% of the playing base as the chance for in town non "travel league" level simply ceases to exist.

By the way, a certified referee can make as much as $200 cash on a full Sunday at a tournament. I'm talking up to age U-16. Between Sunday games and weeknight games, the boys made a fortune, while still being shomer shabbos.

Last edited by rafi; 09-27-2011 at 05:53 AM..
Old 09-27-2011, 06:01 AM

Fair point rafi, but nevertheless, Jewish kids I know from the NY Circle tend to be very involved in either hockey or football rather than soccer (i.e. making their own leagues, like I did for soccer). Football's also widely promoted in public schools here in NY.

Do you think the quality of a game improves with referees, since currently we make our own agreement-based calls? (even the Russians can't intimidate my Israeli friends when they're yelling at each other ) When I will try out for the team however, the games will be officially refereed.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Fair point rafi, but nevertheless, Jewish kids I know from the NY Circle tend to be very involved in either hockey or football rather than soccer (i.e. making their own leagues, like I did for soccer). Football's also widely promoted in public schools here in NY.
My sons all managed to play soccer for Yeshiva University and/or Brandeis.
And again, made extra money on the side in the hundreds of games played all week long, all year long.

How many months a year are NY schools playing hockey? It's 84 degrees in NY today.

As to a large football population of either girls or orthodox jews as players, it is so refreshing to learn something new that you never ever heard before.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:16 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Thanks rafi!

I would just like to clear up one minor point here..............I'm John not a janet!!!!!!:sill y: janetnjohn are a series of kids books in the UK......and i couldn't think of a better user name

I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence,

"I ask then, has God rejected His people? By no means! God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. For the gifts and call of God are irrevocable."
Old 10-02-2011, 05:27 AM

@janetnjohn,

Haha sorry, I actually thought your username resembled two people on 1 account (like a couple, Janet and John).
Old 10-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Dragon

no worries!!! it gave me a chuckle

Old 10-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Hi Jacobtess,
Hope you are enjoying your new sport. Like to share some health benefits of playing soccer here.
Soccer is a sport of constant motion and increase your muscle tone and bone strength. Soccer increase your endurance, stamina and coordination. Soccer helps in reducing belly fat and helps in losing body weight and boosting metabolism.
hmmmmm may have to take up soccer again

Israel Forum