Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Physical Fitness
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Physical Fitness your guide to physical fitness, training methods

Old 06-05-2013, 03:16 PM

Syntac is on a distinguished road
Default Requirements for Duvdevan/ Sayeret Matkal

Hey guys,
Im new here and I hope its the right forum.
First of all a short summary about myself.
I was born in Israel and lived for four years in there, then we moved to Germany.
Now Im 18 and I decided to go back to Israel and serve in the IDF. At the moment Im visiting a "Gymnasium" (similar to High School), next year Im graduating and then Ill move to Israel.
My problem is that I cant write hebrew and only speak 65-70% hebrew but I read that the IDF is offering a hebrew intensive course, is that true?
My dream would be to serve in an elite unit (Duvdevan or Sayeret Matkal), I started my training last year. I know its nearly impossible to get into such an unit.
My question is what can I do to get in an elite unit? What physical strain Ive to withstand?

And if youve some other important information for me, I would be very thankful! :)

Last edited by Syntac; 06-05-2013 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 06-06-2013, 01:35 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum.

You should realize that you have a special set of circumstances that governs how when and how long you will serve.

While this is a great site for general information, I urge you to visit the site in my signature below. There is an entire section dedicated to people such as yourself - Israeli citizens who grew up outside of Israel.

Your first step in getting to the IDF will be for you to ensure that you have a copy of your Israeli passport. If you do not have one already, you will need one of your parents to accompany you to a consulate or embassy to secure one.

The rest of the steps, including what you can expect to find will be on the other site. There is a forum section and a general information home page. Start at the home page.

I'll keep an eye out for you there.

Rafi
Old 06-06-2013, 11:22 AM

Hey,
Thanks a lot!
I kinda have some problems with my internet so I cant see the link below you signature.

I do have a new passport I requested it about a year ago.

Ive some specific questions:

1) Im visiting this summer my aunt in Nizan, I also gonna be in Tel Aviv, Ashdod and Ashkelon, is there a military office where I can get some advice and informations?

2) I found a language program for volunteers but as an israeli citizen Im not a volunteer or am I?

3) Can I visit my family in Germany during my service?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntac View Post
Hey,
Thanks a lot!
I kinda have some problems with my internet so I cant see the link below you signature.

I do have a new passport I requested it about a year ago.

Ive some specific questions:

1) Im visiting this summer my aunt in Nizan, I also gonna be in Tel Aviv, Ashdod and Ashkelon, is there a military office where I can get some advice and informations?

2) I found a language program for volunteers but as an israeli citizen Im not a volunteer or am I?

3) Can I visit my family in Germany during my service?
During the summer you can visit an enlistment office in any of the cities you listed. If you cannot find one, look for a "Katsin Ha'Ir office and they can either speak with you or direct you.

You are absolutely not a volunteer. As an Israeli citizen you are fulfilling your obligation of citizenship. That being said, you should also realize that you will need to negotiate your status and privileges with the IDF - and that is best done prior to enlistment.

The ability to visit your family in Germany during your service is a perfect example of the issues you need to seek closure on before enlistment.

While awkward, you need to keep a notebook of every person you speak with, their name, where you spoke with them, what you were promised and who they are affiliated with.

Cut and paste this URL into your browser:
http://www.mahal-idf-volunteers.org
Old 11-30-2013, 06:58 PM

So its been a while now. But I want to share my information I got now with you.

As I was in Israel, one of the first thing I did, was contacting a Lishkat Giyus.
I told them, that I want to enlist next year after graduating school. I asked them what I could do now.
They told me, its too early, I should wait, because if they do tsav rishon, I would be in the middle of my school year. They also told me, that for an Israeli citizen living abroad its fine to contact a Lishkat Giyus if you arrive in Israel, all the stuff like tsav rishon will get done fast because youre an Israeli citizen. But those who havent got the Israeli passport should contact at least 6 months before making Alliyah.

The next thing. I searched the internet and found a very helpful organisation: Nefesh bet Nefesh nbn.org.il
They are realy great, I talked with them in Israel and they will make sure that all the precedures will go off fine. So I highly recommend to contact them, but dont get disapointed if they dont answer you immediatly, they will respond maybe after a week or a months.

And I also figured out, that you can get your flight to Israel payed. But Im not sure who do you have to contact, its either NefeshBetNefesh or the Jewish Agency. As soon as Ill figure this out I will post it here.

Ok and now Ive some more questions :)

I train a lot now, this is basicly my week:
Mon: interval training (30-45min) afterwards some weight training
Tue: running 11 or 22km (1hour or 2h)
Wed: no training
Thu: full body training (2h), starting with a 7min sprint (warmup)
Fri: no training
Sat: interval training (30-45min) afterwards some weight training
Sun: running 11 or 22km (1hour or 2h)
... and so on

I can run now 2 km in 7.43min, but Ill improve in the next months.

Is there something specific I can do to improve my training?

I can read and write now a little bit hebrew. The alphabet is no problem, but its still tough. Till my Gibbush I will improve so I can read fluent, thats my aim.

And my last question is about tsav rishon. What kind of tests are they doing? And how can I prepare myself? I realy want to get into Matkal, to serve my country in the best way.

I hope you can answer my questions, it would mean a lot to me ;)
Old 11-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

It sounds like you have made great progress, thank you for sharing.

First, if I may, I would like to issue a disclaimer. How lucky if this young man succeeds in getting his transportation paid for! There is littlerecord of anyone else getting his/her trip paid for except in individual circumstances. If a source has been found, we will certainly publicize it.

Continue to prepare your body. The tests you will be given are much more like vocational tests than those that you can study for. Preparation? Begin to compose the answers to the questions you are sure to face in you Tsav Rishon - where are you from, describe growing up. What unit do you want to be with in the IDF - why? Explain in Hebrew how well you did in school, what notable achievements do you have - school board, sports, etc.? What are your plans for after the army. These exercises will help your Hebrew as well as your life. Think about words that reflect your age and education, and try to seek some of them out to include in your talk. It should be one you are giving to many people already about what you are doing there. Polish it up.

The IDF super guys cannot be looked at in an incredibly American light. In the unit of super duper secret killer commandos are people who are 4'11" tall, weigh 234 pounds and wear a uniform with special forces tags on it. The run the motor pool. Or cook. Or drive a truck. The one armed office clerk, and the Mentally Retarded guy who takes the bus to the unit each day also wear the exact same uniform with the same unit tag. Because the IDF is team work. A plane can't fly without the guy who puts in the gas - the most important guy. The plane needs wheels - so the guy who fills the tires is the most important guy. Of course a plane is worthless without ammunition, so the NASHAK is the most important guy. But where do I take the bombs, asks the communications guy, the most important guy. I could go on for a half hour, but the point is that by the time you get to the person who pulls a trigger or even pushes a button, they do this standing on the shoulder of 2000 others, each of whom is vitally important.

The IDF is not based around 10,000 pilots with one ground crew man; 50000 paratroopers and 1 guy who packs parachutes; 120000 snipers and one guy who fills clips; 12400 tank commanders and 3 drivers. It usually works the other way around. And every one is important.

Be a part of the team!
Old 04-12-2016, 03:32 AM

harkon20 is on a distinguished road

Hi Syntac did you end up getting into one of the special units? was your training enough. I am in a similar situation but my Hebrew is not so good. Well it would be nice to hear of it went for you and to get advice from someone who has been through it.
Israel Forum