Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Army Related Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Army Related Forum Topics about the Israeli armed forces, special forces, tanks, apc's, guns etc + world armies.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:46 PM

Seanzerz is on a distinguished road
Default Joining Army After College (Input Please, Checking daily)

Hello all,
I am 21 years old and a current college student in California. My parents are both israeli, which has made me very connected to Israel. I travel there every summer and my hebrew is nearly fluent. I have always seen myself living in Israel in the future, it is my understanding that serving in the army is important for social acceptance and for careers. Therefore, I am very seriously considering enlisting in the army. I have many friends that volunteered right after high school.

If I enlist it will be when I have graduated from college and am 22 years old. I am in good physical condition and have trained in multiple forms of martial arts (black belt).

I am skeptical of joining because I will be much older than the people around me. I do not want to serve the full 3 years. Also, I am interested in a very serious position, paratrooper (tzanchanim). These are all things I am worried about.

(When I was a kid I had mild asthma, will this be seen on my medical records or be held against me?)
Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzerz View Post
Hello all,
I am 21 years old and a current college student in California. My parents are both israeli, which has made me very connected to Israel. I travel there every summer and my hebrew is nearly fluent. I have always seen myself living in Israel in the future, it is my understanding that serving in the army is important for social acceptance and for careers. Therefore, I am very seriously considering enlisting in the army. I have many friends that volunteered right after high school.

If I enlist it will be when I have graduated from college and am 22 years old. I am in good physical condition and have trained in multiple forms of martial arts (black belt).

I am skeptical of joining because I will be much older than the people around me. I do not want to serve the full 3 years. Also, I am interested in a very serious position, paratrooper (tzanchanim). These are all things I am worried about.

(When I was a kid I had mild asthma, will this be seen on my medical records or be held against me?)
So, let's do this by the numbers:

1. You are an Israeli citizen, and have been one since you were born to Israeli parents whether you are in agreement with that or not.

The first thing you will need to do is get one of your parents to produce your records with you at the Israeli consulate.

2. You cannot "volunteer" for the IDF. You were required to serve from age 18, and have now decided that you want to fulfill that commitment.

3. Not wanting to serve under those younger than you is understandable, but please, we are not talking about working in a supermarket. You become better you advance. Regardless of age.

4. You want to be something important in the IDF but can they make it fast cuz I'm not sure if I want to do this for a long time. You are not coming across as someone who is serious.

5. As I have previously, I advise you to visit the site below and look up what the specifics are for people such as yourself.

http://www.mahal-idf-volunteers.org/about/join.htm#pathforisraelis

IDF short path for Israeli citizens residing overseas, children of overseas Israelis etc. - Cumulative qualifications:
  • age at enlistment: 18th - 24th birthday | physicians before 36th [if you are older - here]
  • Israeli citizen
  • non-resident of Israel after your 10th birthday and cumulated visits in Israel of not more than 120 days in anyone of the calendar years after your 10th birthday
  • None of your parents resides in Israel

After arrival in Israel, you have one of the two options:
    IDF service for min. 14 months (or min. 18 months including army ulpan, if necessary).
    Studying at an Israeli academic institution for the standard time required to get a bachelor's degree (including mandatory preparatory course, if any). The standard periods vary for different fields of study. You are exempted in your standard period from IDF service (mandatory or reserve).

If you first opted for IDF service, you have two options after discharge:
    Leaving Israel: you are not liable for any additional IDF service (mandatory or reserve), even if you return from time to time as a tourist.
    Staying in Israel as a Toshav Hozer (or returning after less than 24 months as a Toshav Hozer): basically, you have to complete the IDF service time which was mandatory for your age at the time of your first arrival in Israel. The extra service time varies due to individual factors; as you can calculate for yourself, this may also be zero (for example if you are too old). In any case, you will be assigned to a Reserve Service unit; the IDF does not, however, always call up all of their reservists every year, and a variety of exemptions are available.

If you first opted for studies in Israel, you have two options after the end of your standard time:
    IDF service for the time which was mandatory for your age at the time of your first arrival in Israel. The extra service time varies due to individual factors; as you can calculate for yourself, this may also be zero (for example if you are too old). In any case, you may be assigned to a Reserve Service unit; the IDF does not, however, always call up all of their reservists every year, and a variety of exemptions are available.
    Leaving Israel (at any time during that year):
    - if you do not return as Toshav Hozer (however, you may visit Israel from time to time): there is no liability for additional IDF service (mandatory or reserve)
    - if you return after more than 24 months as a Toshav Hozer: you will be assigned to a Reserve Service unit; the IDF does not, however, always call up all of their reservists every year, and a variety of exemptions are available
    - if you return after less than 24 months as a Toshav Hozer: basically, you are liable for service in the IDF for the time which was mandatory for your age at the time of your first arrival in Israel. The extra service time varies due to individual factors; as you can calculate for yourself, this may also be zero (for example if you are too old). In any case, you will be assigned to a Reserve Service unit; the IDF does not, however, always call up all of their reservists every year, and a variety of exemptions are available.
  • Register online

IDF regular path for Israeli citizens residing overseas - Cumulative qualifications:

• age at enlistment: 18 and older
  • Israeli citizen
  • either resident of Israel after your 10th birthday or cumulated visits in Israel of more than 120 days in anyone of the calendar years after your 10th birthday
  • at least one of your parents resides in Israel
  • Service time: depending on personal factors - here
  • Register online
Old 04-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Paparock is on a distinguished road
Arrow Welcome Seanzerz

Welcome to the forum Seanzerz. Rafi is the one to listen to on this subject! You will do well to heed his council.
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”

Old 04-23-2014, 09:41 PM

Rafi,
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions I read alot of your posts.
I am absolutely positive that I am not an Israeli citizen, and would be a volunteer.
I agree with what you mentioned with the relation to age in the army.I am a very serious person in everything I do. A full 3 year commitment for an older recruit is not ideal (it is possible that I will enjoy the service and extend my recruitment).
Do you have any information regarding how asthma as a kid would affect placement?
You seem very knowledgable on this subject. Is there a way for me to contact you directly?
Old 04-24-2014, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Rafi,

I am absolutely positive that I am not an Israeli citizen, and would be a volunteer.
If your parents or even one parent is Israeli, you are Israeli.
A war generating battles is ‘curse’ not ‘mirth’.

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 04-24-2014, 07:34 AM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Rafi,
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions I read alot of your posts.
I agree with what you mentioned with the relation to age in the army.I am a very serious person in everything I do. A full 3 year commitment for an older recruit is not ideal (it is possible that I will enjoy the service and extend my recruitment).
Do you have any information regarding how asthma as a kid would affect placement?
You seem very knowledgable on this subject. Is there a way for me to contact you directly?
Israel follows jus sanguinis--essentially the nationality of your parents--as basis for citizenship. This applies to the first generation of children born to Israel parents abroad only. Israel does not base citizenship on jus soli--where you are physical born--except for the local non-Jewish population resident at the time of Israel's independence.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:08 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Thank you for your kind words.

As you are beginning to hear from others, and have by now hopefully confirmed for yourself, you are an Israeli. Oddly enough, and important for you to keep in mind, if your not an Israeli already, you have only a relatively small window of getting into the IDF starting at your age. Don't waste time on denial. If either parent was ever an Israeli citizen, you are one as well.

Follow the first advice I gave you. Get a parent to go with you to the embassy and get this started. Then get busy on the rather comprehensive checklist on the home page.

Let's continue on for a while in this forum and then we can move on to a more private setting. The resources in California for learning what you need are second to none.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:59 PM

Rafi
Do you know if medical records of asthma would be an issue for me even if I dont suffer from asthma anymore?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Rafi
Do you know if medical records of asthma would be an issue for me even if I dont suffer from asthma anymore?
As is often stated, we are experienced veterans, however, all medical decisions for the IDF are made by IDF Physicians. More often than not, this is a subjective decision at the discretion of the doctor. Two identical situations can be handled completely differently.

By now you have read the checklist at the MAHAL site. You will have read that you must submit a medical exam from your family physician. (common question: I don't have a family physician? common answer: then you aren't getting into the IDF. No medical submission, no Army physical.
Family physicians can make a recommendation - the IDF is not required to honor it.

That being said, it is not uncommon for "History of Asthma" to yield a profile of 74. This can get you into a combat base in numerous tasks. Again, is a supply clerk job - 10 meters below ground on the Mt Hermon outpost a "jobnik" position versus being a "kravi" based in Tel Aviv something be ashamed of?
Old 05-04-2014, 05:04 PM

judea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Rafi
Posted a bunch of stuff in the other thread that is irrelevant.

With regards to the asthma, if it is no longer an issue. Do NOT mention it. It will just give them unnecessary reason to lower your profile.

There is no shame in serving less than 3 years at your age. Only sign the minimum amount of time that they make you sign in order to be in a combat unit. After that, you can see if you would like to extend your service. I know some people that only served in combat for 1 year and 4 months (which I think is laughable and not really the army, but at least they served) and I know some people that extended their service up to the 3 years to continue with their brothers, or they became officers and served much longer.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:33 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

To keep this positive, here are the breakdowns of profiles and units they can get you into as a MAHALnik.

While never firm, history of Asthma is often weighed at 74.

This is the information I have supplied with by the Ministry of Defense and is posted on the MAHAL web site. I hope this helps.

http://www.mahal-idf-volunteers.org/...units-eligible

For which IDF units/jobs am I eligible, when eligible for IDF enlistment?

The assignment to a specific IDF unit or job is based on a few factors such as the army’s needs, your medical profile as determined by IDF tests during the enlistment procedures (in Israel), your min. service time, and your preferences. The final decision relies exclusively with the IDF.

Following is a partial overview for guidance purposes only; it is not a guarantee for any specific unit or job:
Combat jobs (men)
Usually, men with a profile between 97 and 72 will be placed in a combat unit.
  • 97 - Golani Infantry Brigade
  • 97 - Givati Brigade (infantry and amphibious force)
  • 97 - Nahal Infantry Brigade
  • 97 - Kfir Infantry Brigade
  • 97 - Mishmar HaGvul (Border Police)
  • 97 - Paratroopers Brigade (2 years min.)
  • 72 - Armored Corps/Heil HaShirion (battle tanks)
  • 72 - Artillery Corps/Heil HaTotchanim (medium and long-range artillery)
Combat jobs (women)
  • Caracal Battalion (infantry)
  • Oketz Unit - independent canine special forces (sayeret)
Non-combat jobs (women and men with low profile)
Usually you receive a questionnaire listing appropriate options. Some involve further testing or tryouts, for example, if you are interested in being a Madrich or Madricha (teacher). If you don’t pass one of the tryouts, you can often apply for a different position.
  • N.C.O. (non-commissioned officer)
  • instructor for various combat activities such as sniping
  • Sar-El instructor
Old 05-06-2014, 01:29 AM

Thanks Judea, I saw what you wrote in the other thread as well. I was able to receive further input here. Yea the asthma is not an issue and has not been for years. Unfortunately I have to transfer in my medical records from the US and I am sure that they are stated on the records. I think that you have a strong point that a year and two months is laughable, but coming in at 22 I do not wish to serve for 3 years. So I would be happy with a 1 and a half year service up to a 2 year service.

Rafi I read elsewhere that there is a medical profile of 82, which you can serve combat units but not elite units, would you have any further knowledge of this profile?

Thank you again everyone I appreciate your time and efforts.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:24 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Sean,

Under certain circumstances, people with one ear can have a profile of 82.
This web site strongly endorses the use of a sterile knife in your pursuit of Zionism.

Do not over concern yourself with those things you have no control over. How is the brush up of hebrew reading and writing coming along? That is what will advance you.

As i mentioned earlier, profile affects job description, not geography and/or where you serve.

By the way, about profiles."Common knowledge" says that if you have never had any encounter wth a knife you get a profile of 100. This is not correct. 97 is the highest.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:20 PM

judea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks Judea, I saw what you wrote in the other thread as well. I was able to receive further input here. Yea the asthma is not an issue and has not been for years. Unfortunately I have to transfer in my medical records from the US and I am sure that they are stated on the records. I think that you have a strong point that a year and two months is laughable, but coming in at 22 I do not wish to serve for 3 years. So I would be happy with a 1 and a half year service up to a 2 year service.

Rafi I read elsewhere that there is a medical profile of 82, which you can serve combat units but not elite units, would you have any further knowledge of this profile?

Thank you again everyone I appreciate your time and efforts.
With 82 you can serve in all combat units and a few special forces units, though not most of them. You can also serve in tanks and artillery.
Israel Forum