Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Israeli Military Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Israeli Military Discussion Forum GENERAL Topics Relating To Israel & Its National Security, Latest news and Analysis.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:48 PM

philtang is on a distinguished road
Default Tsahal will need more volunteers !

Low birth rate, decrease in immigration of youths forces army's manpower branch to boost monitoring of those seeking exemption for medical, religious reasons while encouraging women to assume more positions

Yossi Yehoshua Published: 07.21.08, 11:00 / Israel News

As if draft-dodging wasn't already taking a considerable bite out of the IDF's ranks, it now appears that this year's draft may encounter the smallest age group set for military service in 20 years.

This is the peak of the 12% decline in IDF recruits, which began four years ago. The key factor is the relatively low birth rate two decades ago as well as a decrease in the number of immigrants coming to Israel while of a drafting age.

Sources in the IDFs Department of Planning and Manpower Administration estimate that the shortage will be felt primarily in the rear corps and logistic support units. In order to prepare for the possible deficit, the IDF will begin stationing more female soldiers in combat-support positions, freeing more male soldiers for combat units.

The army has voiced its disappointment in the low representation of women in combat units, even though those opened their doors to women almost a decade ago. Only 2% of women volunteer to be combat fighters.

And where do the new recruits wish to serve? Topping the list is the Golani Brigade; where three recruits compete for each opening. The brigade boasts an increase from August 2007, when only two were competing for each position in hopes of scoring the iconic brown beret.

The recruitment data for August 2008 obtained by Yedioth Ahronoth shows a 0.6% increase in the motivation of recruits to serve in combat positions, with 67.9% of this year's summer draft choosing to serve in combat units compared to 67.3% in August of last year. The highest motivation level of the past two years was registered in March 2008, when more than 70% volunteered for combat service.

In order to stem the decline in the number of recruits, the military plans to boost its monitoring of youths seeking exemptions from service both before their enlistment, and after it. The past year has shown that stepping up the supervision on exemptions has yielded positive results.

The main challenge the army faces are the exemptions given to those who declare themselves religious but in actuality are not, a trend which is only expected to increase in the coming years
Old 09-15-2008, 07:51 AM

Default new volunteering in 2009

I will organize a new period with SAR EL on march 2009. Last time i was in an evangelical group: their first motivation is religious and some did not respect the main rule: proselytisme forbidden : bringing the jews to jesus remains a priority for them! recently a christian woman was deported from the base because she gave a new testament to a soldier...this new group i am gathering is composed of army reservists and policemen; i hope it will ameliorate the growing good relatios between our 2 armies ...
If some frenchmen are reading this message i still have a few places!
Old 09-30-2008, 03:25 PM

Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtang View Post
I will organize a new period with SAR EL on march 2009. Last time i was in an evangelical group: their first motivation is religious and some did not respect the main rule: proselytisme forbidden : bringing the jews to jesus remains a priority for them! recently a christian woman was deported from the base because she gave a new testament to a soldier...this new group i am gathering is composed of army reservists and policemen; i hope it will ameliorate the growing good relatios between our 2 armies ...
If some frenchmen are reading this message i still have a few places!

Hello there,

Just wanted again to express my gratitude towards you and people like you who're doing such things and giving us the soldiers so much hope.

If you ever need some strings to be pulled for your group, as an IAF officer now in keva, I might be able to help you out.
I do not enter this forum much, but you can always try and pm me.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:25 PM

Manaia is on a distinguished road

wow, good on you philtang, I didn't know you could do that - I'd be keen. I thought you had to be Jewish. You weren't peeling spuds were you? :) I take it they don't pay for travel also ;) ?
Old 10-02-2008, 06:43 PM

Default hi manaia

in the base nobody knows you are not jewish, but when you tell it to soldiers they are really in admiration, one soldier born in paris even cried to see there are also non-jewish french citizens who support them strongly
Of course we are peeling potatoes like all soldiers and we had a lot of fun! we didn't expect the army to give us a rifle to fight the Hamas, especialy at 50 year old
Old 10-06-2008, 06:47 AM

Manaia is on a distinguished road

hey mate, thanks for posting your experiences. One day I hope to get over there :)
Old 01-15-2009, 12:12 AM

Default in hurry to be there again

in the group of 12 volunteers i gathered to go there next month nobody defected in spite of the events! most of these non-jewish french former soldiers have never been there yet, so: congratulation for their wonderful support!
Old 07-01-2009, 03:45 PM

eddieo396 is on a distinguished road
Default army fatigues by mark werner

ye si just finished reading it ..its great ..The BOOK ON SAR-EL VOLUNTEERING.get it ....;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigduke1 View Post
Tody i found an interesting book about sar-el on amazon.com

"Army Fatigues"

Does anyone know it?

cheers
Frank
Old 07-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Dragon

Forums_Addict is on a distinguished road

I realise this is an old thread reserrected, but my own thanks to all who do voluntary work whether with IDF or MDA or in health instutions and wherever.

My younger daughter is off on a Sar-el scheme next month, and I don't know who is more excited - her or me

Old 07-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

New Ron is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtang View Post
in the base nobody knows you are not jewish, but when you tell it to soldiers they are really in admiration, one soldier born in paris even cried to see there are also non-jewish french citizens who support them strongly
Of course we are peeling potatoes like all soldiers and we had a lot of fun! we didn't expect the army to give us a rifle to fight the Hamas, especialy at 50 year old
You are an excellent example of French people who love Israel! I am so happy to see they exist! Thank you for your service to Israel!

"If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence.. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel."
~ Golda Meir~

Old 07-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forums_Addict View Post
I realise this is an old thread reserrected, but my own thanks to all who do voluntary work whether with IDF or MDA or in health instutions and wherever.

My younger daughter is off on a Sar-el scheme next month,
and I don't know who is more excited - her or me
I thank your daughter for her service to Israel

Thank you for being excited for her service lol.

"If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence.. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel."
~ Golda Meir~

Old 07-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Dragon

You're welcome Ron. In fact I only found out about the Sar-el short stay schemes on israelmilitary.net forum a week or so ago. Franklin mentioned he wanted to go on Sar-el, and I didn't know what that was. I googled it and it is a whole new opportunity opening up for her. Just goes to show how things happen doesn't it? She knew about Sar-el doing longer schemes as part of a gap year, but she didn't know about the two week or three week schemes that they do all year round.

And what's more is I plan to go towards the end of 2010. My daughter is making Aliyah in September 2010, so I will wait till she is off my hands before I go on Sar-el for two or three weeks. And I will be avoiding the very hot weather which I don't like. Temperatures below 30 degrees centigrade is fine with me though.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forums_Addict View Post
You're welcome Ron. In fact I only found out about the Sar-el short stay schemes on israelmilitary.net forum a week or so ago. Franklin mentioned he wanted to go on Sar-el, and I didn't know what that was. I googled it and it is a whole new opportunity opening up for her. Just goes to show how things happen doesn't it? She knew about Sar-el doing longer schemes as part of a gap year, but she didn't know about the two week or three week schemes that they do all year round.

And what's more is I plan to go towards the end of 2010. My daughter is making Aliyah in September 2010, so I will wait till she is off my hands before I go on Sar-el for two or three weeks. And I will be avoiding the very hot weather which I don't like. Temperatures below 30 degrees centigrade is fine with me though.
That is excellent, thank you for being a friend of Israel!

~ Golda Meir~

Old 07-12-2009, 09:42 AM

Default my new volunteering in march 2009

I went with 12 christian friends from the army reserve to serve once more Tsahal
on this video you see what kind of job we did and the places we visited during our free time with the army or during our free time

Watch also my videos with the nice military girls!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Dragon

Thanks for that link Philtang. I think it is amazing that non-Jewish people participate in Sar-el. Thanks to all the people that do. I think Sar-el is such a valuable contribution to Israel's safety etc. I can't wait to do my time there which will be in late 2010. It's going to be fantastic. I know people praise the volunteers of Sar-el for making such a contribution, but to be honest the volunteers are also gaining something. It is hard work, I know, but only during the day. The evenings are times to relax and chill out with new friends and the weekend gives the volunteers an opportunity to explore the land. I admire you for organising the groups Philtang, and hope you keep us updated with what you are doing and your trips there as I am sure all admirers of Israel would be interested. Well done.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:15 AM

Default more photos of our stay in the IDF

Old 07-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

As I have stated before, the work you do is incredibly appreciated within the IDF. I remember and have written before about my contact with Sar-El people during Lebanon II.

My suspicion is that this is one of those few cases where the IDF is getting more out of it than you. But having met your group, I also know you would argue that point with me.

Best wishes!

Rafi
Old 07-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Gold Member

GB_FXST is on a distinguished road

Ah, the joy of jump school ... the paratrooper training pictures bring back many memories ... Thanks!

The Purim party, I assume, looked to be a lot of fun too ...

Last edited by GB_FXST; 07-30-2009 at 01:17 PM..
Old 09-21-2009, 07:48 PM

Bigduke1 is on a distinguished road
Default First Sar-El Trip

allright its on. Will arrive on the 23th of January 2010 for my first Sar-El Trip. A special chance to support your brave country and became a very small part of one of the worlds finest fighting forces. Looking very much forward to it.

Frank
Old 09-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB_FXST View Post
Ah, the joy of jump school ... the paratrooper training pictures bring back many memories ... Thanks!

The Purim party, I assume, looked to be a lot of fun too ...
Shades of the airborne junior jump tower at Benning and also a bit of what appears to be rigger's school in there as well...very interesting stuff for me to look at after all these years.

Israel Forum