Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > General > General chat
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General chat General discussion unrelated to above forums, jokes etc.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:30 AM

vimana is on a distinguished road

I have two cats, and I love them more than I love air and sunlight. They sleep in my bed with me every night, my sweet snugglers. I'll consider myself fortunate, if I'm able to have them by my side when I depart this life.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Dragon

cute_assassin is on a distinguished road

you know there's an old saying I heard somewhere.....
A cat and dog are sitting by their respective owners while having dinner.
The dog keeps looking at the owner and staring, watching his every move. In his head, there is the thought that may my master eat to his satisfaction so he will give me good food.
The cat too keeps looking at the owner and staring, watching his every move, while in his head there is the thought that hope my master dies and drops the food so I can eat to my satisfaction!!

This is a thread for man's best friend :P

Those who can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. It is the freedom to refrain, withdraw and abstain which makes a totalitarian regime impossible. - Eric Hoffer

Today its a new beginning!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute_assassin View Post
you know there's an old saying I heard somewhere.....
A cat and dog are sitting by their respective owners while having dinner.
The dog keeps looking at the owner and staring, watching his every move. In his head, there is the thought that may my master eat to his satisfaction so he will give me good food.
The cat too keeps looking at the owner and staring, watching his every move, while in his head there is the thought that hope my master dies and drops the food so I can eat to my satisfaction!!

This is a thread for man's best friend :P
Its an old Indian fable also, my grandma told it to me, though she said the dog wished for a large and prosperous family, so he'd get more than his fill even if he got just one morsel from everyone, whereas the cat wished they'd all die so she'd get more than her fill.
A war generating battles is ‘curse’ not ‘mirth’.

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 12-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Default The Dogs of War

http://blogs.airspacemag.com/daily-p...e-dogs-of-war/

Quote:
A U.S. Army soldier with the 10th Special Forces Group and his military working dog jump off the ramp of a CH-47 Chinook helicopter during water training over the Gulf of Mexico, March 2011. Photo by Tech. Sgt. Manuel J. Martinez, U.S. Air Force/DoD.

Susan Orlean writes in her book Rin Tin Tin that at the outset of World War II, the movie-star dog reported with his owner Lee Duncan to Camp Haan, “where he was tattooed with his army serial number and rank (sergeant), and put through the same six-week training as the other dogs.
“As in World War I, the dogs were trained as sentries, messengers, scouts, mine detectors, airplane spotters, and cadaver dogs. The U.S. Army Air Corps also began experimenting with dropping the dogs by parachute behind enemy lines. (One accounting of the program states that a purebred boxer named Jeff ‘made thirteen jumps, twelve successfully.’)”
Wait…airplane spotters?
Yep, that’s right; according to author Orlean and Ron Aiello, who maintains the United States War Dogs Association Web site, the information is taken from an Army pamphlet describing what types of jobs Dogs for Defense might undertake for the war effort—not necessarily tasks they actually did. (We’re still not sure how the airplane spotting was supposed to work. Possibly the dogs would have been trained to tell one airplane engine from another by sound?)
Courtesy Simon & Schuster.

In 1958, Anna M. Waller wrote a study called “Dogs and National Defense” for the Department of the Army. In her history she notes that of the more than 10,000 dogs trained during World War II, their tasks were broken down as follows: sentry (9,295), scout (571), sled and pack (263), messenger (151), mine detection (140).
Today, there are about 650 dogs—helping to detect explosives—currently being used by the American military in Afghanistan and Iraq. As the New York Times reported on December 1, when American soldiers leave Iraq, their bomb-sniffing dogs will remain behind.

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 12-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaur View Post
Its an old Indian fable also, my grandma told it to me, though she said the dog wished for a large and prosperous family, so he'd get more than his fill even if he got just one morsel from everyone, whereas the cat wished they'd all die so she'd get more than her fill.
its possible buddy, I think I heard it from one of my family members or friends in India.

Its surprising though, even with extensive muslim invasion of the sub-continent, cats never gained as much affection as dogs in India.

I guess we were smart enough to distinguish friend from foe early on!!

Those who can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. It is the freedom to refrain, withdraw and abstain which makes a totalitarian regime impossible. - Eric Hoffer

Old 12-28-2011, 12:12 AM

Even if that story is true, which it obviously isn't, you shouldn't blame the cat. The poor thing was probably much hungier than the dog, because his humans weren't feeding him enough. Also, a hungry dog will eat almost anything, including carrion, or even his own poo, while the fastidiousness of felines is very well known.
It's true, though, what you say about the Muslim affinity for cats. The Prophet Muhammed himself is said to have been very fond of them.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:14 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimana View Post
Even if that story is true, which it obviously isn't, you shouldn't blame the cat. The poor thing was probably much hungier than the dog, because his humans weren't feeding him enough. Also, a hungry dog will eat almost anything, including carrion, or even his own poo, while the fastidiousness of felines is very well known.
It's true, though, what you say about the Muslim affinity for cats. The Prophet Muhammed himself is said to have been very fond of them.
Ofcourse its not a true story buddy, its just folklore.
But cats are vicious creatures for sure, look at a dog whenever he meets any stranger, most of the domesticated ones will wag their tails and show affection, while cats will go make that freaky noise and show their claws

And I know dogs are not as hygiene conscious as cats, but come on, they are like little kids, we all were real messy as kids but cats are ehh!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/01/07...r-winner-dogs/

Old 12-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimana View Post
Yes its not true, that's why its a story. There are cat-people and then there are dog-people. I am a dog person myself and not at all fond of cats. Its not like we go around kicking cats or anything, we just like to diss cat owners in good fun and they do likewise, nothing personal!

Dogs are useful, they aid in hunting, search and rescue, investigations, can be trained to help blind people etc. Never heard of Bomb Sniffer Cats! At home, they are effective against burglars, fetch the newspaper too, cats might fetch you a dead mouse at best.

Cats are cunning, condescending and evil, not too affectionate and they sulk around

Come and see the light brother!!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:49 AM

I've heard the ancient Egyptians used their cats to help them hunt birds. Maybe they were servals. Other than that, cats aren't very functional, they expect humans to serve them, not the other way around. But my cats fight for me, killing any centipedes, scorpions, and spiders that get into my home. They also keep me warm on cold nights, or as close to cold as it ever gets here in the desert.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Aye but this sort of thing is for man's best friend only!

http://www.anhourago.eu/show.aspx?l=48412312&d=504
Quote:
Dogs sniff out £9.9m hidden cash

Thursday, 29 December 2011

Labrador Retriever Buster with his handler Gavin Edwards at Gatwick Airport

Dogs which are used to fight against smuggling and the movement of drug money have sniffed out nearly £10 million in the last year.The animals working for the UK Border Agency managed to pick up on the scent of £9.9 million of hidden cash. The money, which was detected by dogs stationed around the UK's airports and ports, was seized by border officials in the last financial year.
Of the detector dogs used by the border force, there are 19 specially trained currency detector dogs which routinely check passengers and cargo and sniff out suspicious quantities of bank notes.
Labrador Retriever Buster has discovered tens of thousands of pounds and is only in the early stages of his career.
Within minutes of being deployed at Gatwick Airport, the two-year-old dog pointed his handler towards a woman who was found to have £8,000 in her hand luggage as she boarded a flight to Vietnam.
His handler Gavin Edwards, who affectionately calls him Buster Crimes, based on the name for American rapper Busta Rhymes, said: "Buster screens the passengers by sniffing their bags. If he finds a scent of money, he sits and indicates to me.
"We ask the passengers how much money they are carrying, depending on what they say, that person is then investigated by another officer. Depending on whether there are any relations to crime, we would then seize the money."
Like other cash detector dogs, Buster has been loaned out to other agencies for raids on properties to locate hidden money.
While working on a house raid with HM Revenue and Customs, Buster discovered £34,000 hidden around the property of a person being investigated for tax fraud.
Currency detector dogs were first used in the UK in 1999. Initially two dogs were based at Heathrow Airport to search passengers' baggage and freight leaving the country.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Dragon

Default Sadistic Soldiers of our armed forces :(

Sadistic Soldiers of our armed forces :(

Old 01-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Video in post doesn't work ^^

Old 01-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Dragon

try again: liveleak. com/view?i=f31_1325120226

Old 01-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

That's sickening. The guy filming and laughing is like a psychopath who just enjoys living beings blown up.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Default Rebecca's War Dog of the Week: When a bite a day can't keep the dentist away

http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts...e_dentist_away

Quote:
Posted By Thomas E. RicksFriday, April 13, 2012 - 10:07 AM

By Rebecca Frankel
Best Defense, Chief Canine Correspondent

There's a reason why even tough handlers wear a bite suit when training their dogs; catching a bite hurts, even with the extra inches of padding. A dog usesits canine teeth, four fangs, to "penetrate the tissue" and "sink into their prey." Those chompers paired with a powerful jaw is without a doubt a dog's most useful weapon, and for a suspect deciding whether to pursue a target, an MWD baring his muzzle fully lined with pearly whites, might be all the incentive required to keep a ne'er-do-well in check. It would be a wise choice: The average German shepherd's bite packs something like "400 and 700 pounds of pressure per square inch." Which is why merely having a patrol dog -- and the extra set of teeth -- acts as a deterrent and, as they say in the MWD world, a force multiplier.
So when a working dog gets a toothache, it's not something to ignore. And after Roy, an eight-year-old Belgian Malinois broke his tooth during bite-work training in March, his handler, USAF Staff Sgt. Joel Brooks, knew that even though they were deployed in an area that couldn't manage Roy's injury (an undisclosed post in Southwest Asia), he had to get to a location that could.
The team made it to the 379th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron and U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Richard Eckert, who treated Roy, noted that treating a dental injury in a dog can be difficult on a deployment. While canine teeth have "all the same characteristics of human teeth ... their enamel is much thinner ... their teeth are much longer, which means special tools have to be used when working on a dog."
Veterinarians are usually reluctant to pull teeth because it weakens a dog's jaw. As another vet-tech, Army Capt. (Dr.) Elizabeth Williams, explained a couple of years back when she had to perform a root canal on an MWD named Kitti, "a dog's teeth are more deeply rooted and pulling a tooth requires pulling a bit of bone as well."
When Eckert examined Roy, he could see that while the break in the tooth, which had exposed the nerve, was indeed a painful one, it was decided a filling was the proper course. A filling is another dental procedure that's far more complicated for dogs than humans, requiring that Roy get full sedation.

Brooks, who's been working with Roy for the last year, stayed with his partner through the procedure: "It's not easy putting a dog under," he said. "Whenever [Roy] stopped breathing, I stopped breathing too. It's really nerve-racking when his respiratory rate slows down because you hear stories of dogs that go in for something routine but never wake up."
But when Roy woke up, Brooks was right there to give his ears a scratch and ease him out of the anesthesia so he wouldn't be frightened or disoriented.
Not for nothing Roy is a pretty tough dog. "When he broke his tooth biting the suspect, he let out a loud yelp." But Brooks said, "even though he was in pain, Roy continued to hold on to his target with his bite until ordered to stop."

Rebecca Frankel, on leave from her FP desk, is currently writing a book about military working dogs, to be published by Free Press.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Dragon

nice one, tks for sharing Knaur :)

Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
nice one, tks for sharing Knaur :)
There was this darn cool photo of a military dog in A-Stan, wearing Oakleys and a doggie combat vest, all decked up to go on a mission, bugger knows where I posted it, or maybe I forgot to post it, oh well whatever, time for another gin n tonic

Old 04-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaur View Post
There was this darn cool photo of a military dog in A-Stan, wearing Oakleys and a doggie combat vest, all decked up to go on a mission, bugger knows where I posted it, or maybe I forgot to post it, oh well whatever, time for another gin n tonic

I actually think me n JnJ should start a pool, as to when you would "loose it" and start posting on sheeps rather than dogs
Its already creeping on2 u, forgetful of ur k9 buddies!!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
I actually think me n JnJ should start a pool, as to when you would "loose it" and start posting on sheeps rather than dogs
Its already creeping on2 u, forgetful of ur k9 buddies!!
Sheep are nice, but they are big-time liars . JnJ can confirm am sure

Old 04-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Dragon

ishmael is on a distinguished road

When I left for army my dog stayed at the road waiting for me to come home. No matter how long, or how many times I left he alays waited. Each time I come to see my father and young sister he was there. This story makes me cry, when I went to recover in hospital my father said dog will howl at moon every night. finally my father took him to see me when I could get out of bed. he was very happy and stopped his howling. My dog died a few years after this, the saddest day of my life thus far. I will never have a friend or fellow like my dog. Hes name was kati.
Israel Forum