Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > General > Movies, Music & Games Forum > Music
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 12:16 AM
Dragon

SpacemanSpiff is on a distinguished road

Actually, I was just inquiring about your affinity for this song, and wondered if you had lost a brother. I didn't intend to bring up the subject of racial prejudice.

None of us are perfect--we all have our preferences regarding who we prefer to associate with.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
Actually, I was just inquiring about your affinity for this song, and wondered if you had lost a brother. I didn't intend to bring up the subject of racial prejudice.

None of us are perfect--we all have our preferences regarding who we prefer to associate with.
Suggest you keep the "None of us are perfect.." cop-out routine to use on others much more malleable than I around here. It doesn't sit well with me and also don't appreciate the condescending tone or the inference made by the posting. Perhaps you didn't mean it like that, but the words certainly came across to me as such. It would behoove you to read a few of my postings before deciding to lecture me on anything. Rest assured that you simply don't pack the gear for that assignment. OK?

FYI: There just might be folks on this forum of different age groups other than yourself or I who may be interested in the era which spawned a certain song. You can't bring up that particular tune nor similar tunes (as evidenced by your quite applicable question to me) like the aforementioned Eve of Destruction, along with In the Ghetto, We Can Be Together, Here's to the State of Mississippi, The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll and many, many others from the 1960's without bringing up the subject of racial prejudice, the Vietnam conflict, poverty, etc. Period.

You don't like or agree with that statement? Perhaps it's my political views which cause heartburn? How about my military background? Guess what? That's your problem, not mine.

Trying to avoid bringing up controversy contained within the lyrics of songs? May I suggest offering up innocuous fluff compositions like Up, Up and Away, Sugar Sugar or I'm Henry the VIII, I Am. Those selections and other like them from the same epoch are sure to be non-confrontational for all parties involved.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:26 AM
Dragon

SpacemanSpiff is on a distinguished road

By "None of us are perfect", I was referring to myself. And I certainly didn't mean to lecture you--you're the last person I want to fight with.

And I do read your posts.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
By "None of us are perfect", I was referring to myself. And I certainly didn't mean to lecture you--you're the last person I want to fight with.

And I do read your posts.
OK! I apologize and admit my words to you were a bit strong, but I still maintain tremendously strong views regarding that particular era in US history. After actually living (barely) though the period and having had it affect me deeply due to the many events which I actually took part in, my reactions sometimes can be rather overbearing. I'll be the first to admit that.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Dragon

Forums_Addict is on a distinguished road
Default British singer Seal will perform in Israel this month.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/Flash.aspx/190064

Pop Star Seal to Perform in Israel this Month

Reported: 07:51 AM - Jul/14/10

Chart topping British singer Seal will be the latest pop star to perform in Israel. He will perform at the Raanana Amphitheater on July 21st.
He won a Grammy Award for the song Kiss from a Rose. The singer was born to Nigerian and Brazilian parents and grew up in the United Kingdom.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Nice to hear "A Change Is Gonna Come" performed live again. Still prefer the original by Sam Cooke (who wrote and recorded the song first) but this is a pretty fine cover of it.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Dragon

Yes, he is good. Not a brilliant voice but signs with his heart - a good performer.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forums_Addict View Post
Yes, he is good. Not a brilliant voice but signs with his heart - a good performer.
I love Sam Cooke. He, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, and your fellow British subject Matt Monro are my favorite male singers. By coincidence or not, this song is an excellent example of what I was talking about when referring to the history of understanding how a particular tune came into being and the unique era that spawned it. How many of those listening on this forum to the version you've posted would realize just what Sam Cooke was so emotionally fired up about when he originally recorded the tune back in December of 1963...only a month after the assassination of JFK in Dallas and quite a bit before the nascent civil rights movement had really taken hold in America?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Chang...nna_Come_(song)

Old 07-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Dragon

Default Anita Baker

Anita Baker (born January 26, 1958) is an eight-time Grammy Award-winning, multi-Platinum rhythm and blues and soul singer and songwriter, renowned for her soaring alto vocal range.

Born in Toledo, Ohio and raised in Detroit, Michigan, Anita Baker began singing in a Baptist church choir at the age of 12. Four years later, while singing with the band Humanity, Baker was approached by bass player David Washington of Chapter 8 to audition for the group.

In 1975, Baker subsequently joined Chapter 8, the most popular group of Detroit at the time. They spent a couple of years playing in and around Detroit and eventually signed a record deal with Ariola. The self-titled album came out in fall 1979, with two singles hitting the R&B charts: "Ready for Your Love" and "I Just Wanna Be Your Girl." The label Ariola Records later ran into financial trouble and the company was purchased by Arista. Arista's executives refused to renew Chapter 8's record deal while Baker was a part of the group. After being rejected, Baker went back home to Detroit and got a job as a receptionist for a local law firm.

In 1981, Otis Smith, the man behind Chapter 8's contract, formed his own label Beverly Glen. Remembering Baker's vocals, he got her telephone number from a Chapter 8 member and called her in late 1982. Baker refused the job at first due to her duties as a receptionist. However, she agreed to sign with the label and try again with a music career. In 1983, Baker released her debut album The Songstress. Two of the album's singles, "Angel" and "No More Tears", became smash hits on the R&B charts. By the spring of 1984, Baker had five chart hits and was close to a gold record.

In 1985, Baker got a major label contract with Elektra Records, a division of Warner Music Group. She released her second album, Rapture in 1986, produced by her friend from Chapter 8, Michael J. Powell This album reafforded her the opportunity to stretch her skills; she wrote "Been So Long", "Watch Your Step" and "Sweet Love". "Sweet Love", "Caught Up In the Rapture", "No One In The World", and "Same Ole Love" became major R&B and Adult Contemporary chart hits during 1986 and 1987, with "Sweet Love" becoming a top ten pop hit as well. By the time "Rapture" had completed its chart run, it had sold 8 million copies worldwide and also earned Baker two Grammys.

In November 1986 when she was returning to Detroit to receive the key of the city, she got engaged to Walter Bridgeforth Jr. whom she'd met on an earlier trip home in January. They were married on Christmas Eve 1987.

In 1987, Baker collaborated with The Winans on the single "Ain't No Need To Worry" and this single led Baker to her third Grammy award. At the same time, she also worked on her follow-up album Giving You The Best That I Got in between a busy performance schedule. This album was released in October 1988. She worked with Michael J. Powell again, and the album became a critical and commercial success, which sold another 5 million copies worldwide. It features such hits as "Just Because" and the title track, which became Baker's biggest pop hit, reaching number three on the Billboard Hot 100 while going to number one R&B and Adult Contemporary. Critics noted that, single-handedly, through her first two albums, "Anita Baker has set a new standard and helped redefine the sound of contemporary music recorded by female vocalists in the '80s and the '90s."

Old 07-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Dragon

Default Patrice Rushen

From the 1984 Feels So Real (Won't Let Go) 12 " Version

Rushen was born in Los Angeles, California on September 30, 1954, the eldest of two daughters born to her father and the former Ruth Harris. She demonstrated her musical potential at a young age; she was regarded as a child prodigy. In her teens, she won the prestigious 1972 Monterey Jazz Festival. She earned her degree in music from the University of Southern California. As a mature woman, she became a jazz master and top musical director.

Due to her musical talents, Rushen has made many ground-breaking achievements. She became the first woman to serve as head composer/musical director for the Grammy Awards and the Emmy Awards, the first woman to serve as musical director for the NAACP Image Awards broadcast, an honor she held for twelve consecutive years. Rushen has been the only woman to be a musical director/composer for the People's Choice Awards, HBO's Comic Relief and the only woman musical director/conductor/arranger for a late-night television talk show, The Midnight Hour which aired on CBS.

In addition, Rushen was named musical director/composer for Newsweek's first American Achievement Awards, broadcast on CBS from the Kennedy Center and she served as the musical director for Janet Jackson's World Tour, "janet."

In 2008, Rushen accepted a professorship at the prestigious Berklee College of Music, in Boston. The course is Patrice Rushen: The Value of Music Education.

She also continues to play keyboard and has played in the tour bands of Lee Ritenour and Wayne Shorter in recent years.
[edit] Solo career

Rushen has also achieved great success as a singer. A classically trained pianist, Rushen has spent great deal of time channeling her skills towards making great music. Winning a competition at the 1972 Monterey Jazz Festival put Patrice into the spotlight. The attention garnered from this earned her a contract with Prestige Records in 1973.

After recording three albums and becoming an in-demand session player, including with artists such as Jean-Luc Ponty, Rushen signed with Elektra Records in 1978. Forging an engaging jazz/R&B/funk fusion, this fresh mixture of styles gave her great success with a string of Top Ten R&B hits, including "Haven't You Heard," "Forget Me Nots," "Feels So Real," "Watch Out," "You Remind Me," and "Never Gonna Give You Up" from her first five albums (Patrice, Pizzazz, Posh, Straight From the Heart, and Now). Rushen also performed her single I Need Your Love on the hit show Soul Train in 1981. She also penned the opening theme for The Steve Harvey Show. Her mentor and friend is Quincy Jones. Rushen also plays multiple instruments including flute, piano, percussion, and clarinet.
ASCAP Songwriter's Award, 1988; USC Black Student Assembly, Legacy of Excellence Award, 1992; Crystal Award, American Women in Film, 1994; AS CAP Award, Most Performed Song in Motion Pictures for 1997 for "Men in Black," 1998.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Dragon

Default Ruby Turner

#!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Dragon

Default Jonathan Butler

Old 07-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Dragon

Default Luther vandross

Old 08-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Dragon

janetnjohn is on a distinguished road

Luther Vandross!!!!!oh i feel a headache coming on!
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...videoid=352449

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...938&FORM=LKVR1#

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...4AF&FORM=LKVR3#

and now for something welsh!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...964&FORM=LKVR1#

I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence,

"I ask then, has God rejected His people? By no means! God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. For the gifts and call of God are irrevocable."
(Romans 11:1,2,29)
Old 08-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Dragon

I just had a quick glance at all of them (as I am supposed to be working - slap wrists). The first one really sounds like Bruce Springstein - or is it just me that thinks that. All rousing songs.
Right - about the Welsh one, there I was thinking we were going to get some wonderful Welsh Male Voice Choir. What on earth was that.
Could you post some male voice choir ones, typical ones, so we can hear why they are so renouned.
Thanks JJ

What you can do, if you want to, is go into youtube, copy the URL into your reply message, click the advanced button to make sure all is ok, and post it.
However, you may not be keen on the choirs, but I think they are wonderful singers!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Dragon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-10846487

personally, I don't mind listening to choirs but I wouldn't buy any stuff of them.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbt...-monster_music

I've included the original video of the automatic song..as the video is great, especially the disco dancing, body popping big foot!!

I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence,

"I ask then, has God rejected His people? By no means! God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. For the gifts and call of God are irrevocable."
Old 08-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Dragon

I will look at those later, as my big foot needs popping.

Now this is good! Amazing how they keep their voices, especially after a lifetime working in the coal mines.

Trelawnyd is a sleepy little farming village in Flintshire, North East Wales. The choir was formed in 1933 by the then village schoolmaster, William Humphreys.

Since then the choir has been in continuous existence. It has won first prize on six occasions at the Royal National Eisteddfod of Wales and on one occasion the Eire International Festival Cork. They have appeared frequently on television, performed at the London's Royal Albert Hall and toured Europe, Canada and the USA.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Dragon

very nice, thanks

Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Dragon

You're welcome. Sometimes music like that is good to listen to. haha now back to Luther Vandross. Acutally I have the jukebox section of Arutz Sheva on. Have you ever listened to it? Do you like Israeli music.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Dragon

I don't know whether you'd actually class it as jewish but I do listen to messianic jewish stuff, I wiuld love to hear Arutz Sheva, if you would like to give me a link or sumfink!

Israel Forum