Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > General > Movies, Music & Games Forum > Music
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Dragon

Forums_Addict is on a distinguished road

Old 10-05-2009, 10:17 AM

crazzycat is on a distinguished road

For me they are Katy Perry- One Of The Boys, Bob Marley- Three little birds,
Korn- Did My Time, RHCP-By the way
Old 06-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Dragon

Old 07-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Dragon

Default Simon and Garfunkle

Old 07-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Dragon

Old 07-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Dragon

Old 07-13-2010, 01:05 AM
Dragon

SpacemanSpiff is on a distinguished road

Simon and Garfunkel, huh ? An assortment back from my Peacenik days.

Barry McGuire

Bob Dylan

Peter, Paul and Mary

Old 07-13-2010, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

That first Simon & Garfunkel LP has always been one of my favorites. Still have the original LP sitting in a walk-in closet, although long ago got the CD version. Bought it mainly because of the tune "He Was My Brother".

Man, was Eve of Destruction ever a monster hit and can still sing the words from memory over 45 year later! Wore out the single and recall it was released on the little-known (at the time at least) Dunwich label. Later on, they signed groups like The Mamas and the Papas, Steppenwolf and The Grass Roots.

BTW: Barry McGuire used to sing with The New Christy Minstrels.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Dragon

Hi, thanks for posting. I will view your vids later when I have a work-break. I was beginning to think no-one on this forum was willing to post any links to their type of music. There are a few other early vids of Simon and Garfunkle earlier in this post if you haven't seen them. In the latter half of the 60s my close friends and I had a craze about the Monkees. They were all sensible but I was the dysfunctional one because I liked Mickey Dolenz! Incidentally he has recorded some Sunday lunchtime programmes about the Pacific Coast Sound of the 60s, which are being aired in the UK on Smooth Radio:

http://www.smoothradio.com/

I also at that time liked the Beach Boys and the very first concert I ever saw was them appearing at the Rainbow Theatre in Finsbury Park, London.

Of course I have matured in my music tastes now, so no longer like the Monkees, or in fact the Beach Boys, but later when I can I will pick out some of the better sounds of the two groups, (befitting my age!).

Thanks again for posting, and I hope some others post on here or post their own threads.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Dragon

Default as promised, some Beach Boys

Old 07-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Dragon

Default and the Monkees

Old 07-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
Simon and Garfunkel, huh ? An assortment back from my Peacenik days.

All really good, (and make me feel so old!) but thanks especially for the Simon and Garfunkel one above. I have never heard that one before and it is lovely but sad too.

Last edited by Forums_Addict; 07-13-2010 at 09:58 AM..
Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Still remain a fan of 1960's/1970's music and always will be. Despite my conservative political views even as a teenager, managed to procure an enviable array of rock & roll albums (as well as folk) that still is in my possession today. Those two genres probably make up the majority of my current collection of over 2500 CD's.

I propose we all list our own top 20 favorite albums of all time. Can tell you without any hesitancy whatsoever that among my top 20 would be The Monkees incredible 1966 debut album. Still remains so though it is quite well known now (and even at the time the LP was released)) that the 4 Monkees actually did very little musically in creating that album other than Dolenz and the others singing voice-overs.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Dragon

I was about 15 (1969) before my parents bought their very first record player so before then we just listened to the radio at home and when out with friends we used to listen in booths in the record store to various songs, usually the Beatles. My first record was a single and I think it was My Sweet Lord. I never did have a large collection of vinyls, just a few Beach Boys and Monkees which in fact I gave away. Music was not as important to me then really, and with the pirate radio stations in ships off the coast - they catered for my music wants as and when I wanted to listen to the radio. You have a huge music collection. Do you play them much?

Old 07-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forums_Addict View Post
. You have a huge music collection. Do you play them much?
All the time...in fact, was listening to Paul Simon's 1973 album "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" yesterday.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Dragon

That's good. I basically listen to the radio and have some CDs but hardly ever play them, although the best of the bunch are Eurythmics, Michael Ball and some compilation of classics, mainly Spanish guitar.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Dragon

Default Sade

Shame not many are posting on this thread. Here are some more:

Old 07-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Dragon

Default Michael Ball

Old 07-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Dragon

SpacemanSpiff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelli View Post
Bought it mainly because of the tune "He Was My Brother".
May I ask if you or your brother (?) had some connection to the Freedom Riders, or if he performed a sacrifice in some other sense ("And he died so his brothers could be free.")

If this is too direct a question, my apology.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
May I ask if you or your brother (?) had some connection to the Freedom Riders, or if he performed a sacrifice in some other sense ("And he died so his brothers could be free.")

If this is too direct a question, my apology.
No, neither my brother (who was 2 years younger than me) or I had anything to do with the Freedom Riders as we were both still in grade school at the time.

I'm a conservative Republican and have been my entire life ever since the teenage years. My whole family has Brooklyn roots and I grew up on Long Island in a town where blacks congregated as well as lived in an area white people there called "Colored Town", so the problem of racial divisiveness wasn't only a trademark of the deep American South. I always find it hilarious when New Yorkers claim how "tolerant" they are of everything as if that makes them superior human beings to the rest of we mere mortals. Let me tell you point blank there was more racial intolerance in the state of NY during the 1960's (and even now!) then I've witnessed in my 29-plus years of living in Texas. The difference is that in the South, prejudice was much more overt. Meanwhile, the average covertly prejudiced citizen in NY smiles at you while digging a KABAR into a person's hide when their back is turned. The majority of New York bleeding heart libs talk a good game as long as the changes don't affect them and the state of Massachusetts is no better in this respect either.

Last year I offered a no-nonsense reply to a person who foolishly opined after Michael Jackson's death that Jackson was an important part of the civil rights movement in the US. Rather than re-type my views, here is exactly what I said to him copied and pasted from the original:

Your comment is an insult to those people (both black and white) whose incredible courage and fortitude brought the civil rights movement in the United States to fruition. Michael Jackson an instigator of racial change? Not hardly. He was the fortunate recipient of such needed change because those who passed before him fought the real battles necessary to ensure it would be so, even with all odds stacked against their succeeding. Ever heard of Emmett Till, the black kid from Chicago who was found floating in a river with a 75-pound ceiling fan tied around his neck after being accused of whistling at a white Mississippi woman in 1955? How about Rosa Parks and her fateful Alabama bus ride that same year when she refused to "move to the back of the bus with the rest of the colored people"? Medger Evers and his 1963 murder in Jackson, Mississippi after being shot in the back by cowardly white supremacist Byron De Le Beckwith? Michael Schwerner, James Chaney and Andrew Goodman, 1964 CORE volunteers and Freedom Riders that were also murdered in Mississippi by the KKK? Those are just a few of the names who genuinely were responsible (many posthumously) for the end of Jim Crow laws and organized American racism. There are countless others that make up a list far too long to be included here in one posting, but Michael Jackson has no business whatsoever in such company.

The above opinion may actually surprise a few folks around here who are more than familiar with the conviction and tone of many of my other postings on this forum. Well, what can I say? It is what it is.

BTW: My military experience has been documented in countless places on this forum, so some folks around here might also be very surprised to read my views of the events which took place on May 4, 1970 at Kent State University...but that's for another thread entirely.

Israel Forum