Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Global Military > North America
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

North America Military News From United States, Canada & Mexico.

Old 11-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Paparock is on a distinguished road
Exclamation A Salute To My Brother and Sister Veterans

Happy Veterans Day
Thank a Veteran Today For Their Service As It Means A Lot To Them

November 11, 2016

​Who Are These 'Veterans' Who Get Their Own Special Day?
The veteran's experience is unlike any other.
By J.L. Schaefer

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...ecial_day.html

It seems strange to previous generations that anyone would even ask such a question. They knew who the veterans were – they were their fathers, their grandfathers, their brothers and sisters, themselves or, most worrying of all, their children.

But ever since we abolished the draft as a means to fulfill the obligations that our civilian leadership deems necessary for the security of the nation, a smaller and smaller percentage of Americans actually serve. In fact, less than 1 in every 200 Americans is currently in the armed forces. How many people among the 199 know that person? Twenty? Forty? A very large segment of the population knows no one serving and no one who has served.

We have gained something and we have lost something in this transition. Yes, our service members today serve because they have a strong sense of patriotism, or because it is the best way up and out of a life that offers them either too little challenge or too little opportunity. They may have heard it is a meritocracy that works better than almost any other institution, or they want to experience first-hand the camaraderie that shared hardships offer, or maybe they are the kind of individual who wants to prove themselves early on in life. Usually it is some combination of these. The result is a more professional military where lifetime friendships are made with colleagues and comrades who know how to do things right and most often try their damnedest to do the right thing.

There are no “jumpin’ junkies” in this military, no one who whines that their daddy couldn’t buy them a deferment or the stupid doctor said their back was just fine. You can actually trust the man on your right and your left to save your life just as you would theirs. No fragging, no divide between the Harvard dropout and the poverty-hobbled the-Army-or-jail enlistee.

But along the way we have lost that great leveler that crossed class, racial, and economic boundaries. We veterans learned so much from each other and it wasn’t always about military skills. We learned how other people lived, what they thought and, often, what it was in their upbringing that caused them to think and talk and act in a way somewhat different from the way we were brought up.

When I grew up, I didn’t know we were poor because my military family was around mostly other military families and we were all poor! I grew up with playmates who weren’t just different colors but who spoke different languages and wore different clothes and ate different food. But for most draftees it was a revelation to realize there were people in this great country who weren’t like themselves. They discovered different cuisines, different accents, and different outlooks and opportunities. We all came home richer for that experience.

Who are the veterans? They’re you if you’ve served and you know very well what I mean. If you haven’t, they’re still you, but slightly different. They’ve seen things no one should have to see. They’ve often faced odds no one should have to face. They’ve fought against the most devious and vicious of fighters and they’ve seen the small tear on a little girl’s face because they saved her life, her family or her village. No words need be spoken, so veterans don’t talk all that much about what they’ve seen or had to do for their buddies or the civilians they encounter while deployed.

Some are boastful, of course, but that’s often because they are young and proud of what they’ve grown to become. That’s understandable. Others brag about things that never happened because they don’t want to say they served stateside as a personnel clerk. The thing is, those of us doing a different job don’t disparage them for that at all. Somebody has to make sure we get a new assignment or get that paycheck on time. Besides, it’s purely the luck of the draw where one is assigned. And bravado only lasts until the day you hold the buddy you’ve come to love and respect as a brother in your arms, knowing his injuries are fatal and you cannot save him.

I work with a lot of the best of the best even today. I have the honor and privilege of serving on the board of the OASIS Group. We assist those most often deployed and most often at the tip of the spear as they transition to civilian life: Army Special Forces and Rangers, Navy SEALs, Air Force Pararescuemen and Special Tactics members and, if we can raise the funds, soon the Marine Raiders as well. Working with these special operators, I also get to meet some of their families, who have had such hardships themselves and yet are seldom discussed at all when we think of veterans.

My own Mom grew up in the shadow of WWII. She was 12 when it began for the USA, 16 when it ended. She didn’t know if her daddy would return from WWII. She didn’t know if her husband would return from two tours in Vietnam. And she didn’t know if her son would return from his various deployments in some of the world’s garden spots. Yet she persevered. No one ever saw the toll this must have taken.

So, please, do make the time to find out if any of your relatives have ever served. Or your friends, or your neighbors. Don’t ask them if war is hell; it is much worse than hell. Just ask what their memories are and where they went and who they met. Don’t forget their families, either. Those who wait at home, fearing to pick up the phone or answer the knock at the door. Talk to them, and listen.

Worried about the higher suicide rate for veterans and PTSD​ and wish you could do something?​

Sometimes a friend, or a neighbor, or even a stranger as you share a cup of coffee or a beer, is better than any professional counseling they could receive. To you, they’re not a client, and to them you’re just someone curious, friendly and willing to listen. Knowing that one of the other 199 really does care about their sacrifices, experiences and future could make all the difference in the world – for them and you.

Mr. Shaefer, a retired U.S. Air Force brigadier general, is a ​speaking member of the National Security Forum and a board member of the OASIS Group.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...ecial_day.html

May Donald Trump help restore the pride my father (who served as an NCO in WWII) kindle in my heart as a young boy as he taught me the songs of my nation! How many fathers do that today for their children? Those times siting on the floor in the living room with my father singing with my father are my most cherished memories! They still bring tears to my eyes! Our nation would be a far better place if more fathers were like my Cherished Father. LOVE YOU DAD and I Salute you for your service!!!

The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”

Last edited by Paparock; 11-11-2016 at 05:30 PM..
Old 11-11-2016, 05:36 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation Honoring the SEALs

Honoring the SEALs
The forerunners of the SEALs finally get a statue.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...the_seals.html

Instead of going shopping and looking for sales, Americans should consider honoring those who have served in the armed forces this November 11th, also known as Veteran’s Day. These individuals have stepped up and fought for their country’s principles. American Thinker interviewed a SEAL and his wife, a New York Times bestselling author.

Retired Navy SEAL Carl Swepston has been involved in a project to honor the “Naked Warrior” with a dedication ceremony, as the statute is unveiled in Coronado, California this Veteran’s Day. The bronze statue commemorates the elite men of the Navy’s Underwater Demolition Teams, or UDTs, of World War II, is six feet in height, and mounted on a two-foot “horned scully,” a type of boat obstacle that was placed on beaches to prevent landings. The “Naked Warrior,” as named by sculptor John Seward Johnson II, is a Navy combat swimmer wearing shorts, fins and a facemask. Nicknamed “naked warriors” for their lack of clothing and equipment, these frogmen would swim into enemy waters from far offshore to reconnoiter heavily defended beaches without weapons or support. They would return with explosives to destroy any natural or man-made obstacles they found that might impede allied amphibious landings. There is no other monument in Coronado commemorating U.S. Navy SEALs and their unique culture, history and connection to the city.

Having fought during the Vietnam era, Carl is glad that those who served in the early days of the SEALs will be honored. He told American Thinker, “I don’t want Americans to feel sorry for me as a Vietnam veteran. I do not have the attitude, ‘poor me.’ But I do think we as a country need to remember the soldier or Marine that came back to the U.S. in uniform and were called baby killers and spat upon. It was a little different for those of us who were SEALs because we were thought of as cool swimmers and surfers. What I would ask Americans on this day is to try to find a Vietnam veteran and say ‘welcome home.’ As a group they were ‘unwelcomed home.’ I think they would be emotionally charged by that phrase.”

Carl served in Vietnam in 1963 and 1964, part of the Underwater Demolition Team, as a swimmer scout, better known as a Navy Frogman. He then became part of SEAL Team 1 in 1965 and was deployed back to Vietnam in 1966 and 1969. He is glad that the frogman, the predecessor to the SEALs, is being honored in San Diego. “The ‘Naked Warrior’ refers to the early guys before they became the SEALs. In the early days all we had were fins, facemasks, and a Ka-Bar Knife. We were considered ‘naked’ because we did not have any other equipment. I like to say that the Navy SEALs grew up in Vietnam. In a sense we went from crawling to walking to running. Even today the current SEALs call themselves Frogmen. The difference is people like myself, in the early days, were combat swimmers and divers. While the SEALs today do that and more, silent warriors who mainly have covert missions. They are a lot more trained with a higher skill set. But I want to emphasize that the mentality has not changed of pushing oneself to the extreme limits.”

He is also on the Board of Directors to help those families honor their loved ones who paid the ultimate sacrifice or who have served their country. He explained, “Any veteran buried in a National Memorial Ceremony can get for free a horse drawn carriage with an American flag draped coffin inside. Recently, someone who was part of the Navy Bomb Disposal unit, working with the SEALs in an advisory role, was killed in Iraq. We honored him this way. The family also gets a commemorative coin that has John F. Kennedy Jr. saluting the casket of his father. This program is funded by donated money.”

Anne Elizabeth, Carl’s wife, writes stories whose main characters are SEALs. Her goal is to “give insight into the SEAL community, respectful of our courageous souls, and to illustrate how hard and complicated dedication can be as well as how precious those peaceful moments are. There are basic facts that are true to all military life: struggles with marriage, family, relationships, money, health, and returning home. My husband told me that I should honor the community and country. I wanted to inform people about the challenges and to show their personal courage. The characters are based on real life former SEALs. I am very careful to craft a plot that does not hijack the veteran’s story so I only use elements of it.”

Anne feels all those who served in combat need to be honored and told thanks with a card or text on Veteran’s Day. She expressed the sentiment of many Americans in her latest book with the quote about these special warriors, “The public would be unaware of the men’s pain and sacrifices. The selfless warrior did not require an accolade; rather, survival and success were the greatest gifts of all.”

Those who have served their country should be honored 365 days a year, not just on Veteran’s Day. But at the least, on this day, every American should reflect on this holiday, and how everyone in the armed services has put their life on the line, so their fellow citizens can enjoy the basic freedoms handed down by the Founding Fathers.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...the_seals.html

Us old Vietnam Era types have to stick together! We may be aging but we can still be lethal. Paparock

Last edited by Paparock; 11-11-2016 at 05:40 PM..
Old 11-12-2016, 05:34 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Default Thank You For Your Service (A Moment of Truth)

As a young Boy Scout going to the National Boy Scout Jamboree in Valley Forge I went to the Arlington National Cemetery, The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier with its eternal Flame and witnessed the changing of the Guard first hand. All of it is burned into my memory as if it happened yesterday though it was 50 years ago. Times have changed, people have change and many in our nation have changed much to my sorrow over the years as they have either forgotten or never been taught the principles and history upon which this nation was founded and survived. I was picked to be part of the Counterinsurgency Units (Run by The Special Forces) within the ROTC Programs at the Universities I attended. The Green Berets that ran these programs during the three years I was in them changed my life and my way of thinking (militarily). My regret is that I was not given an Infantry Branch assignment upon graduation as I requested as the Commander of the ROTC Department withheld it to give it to an ROTC student who tried to get out of going into the service after graduation as a punishment. I tried to get him to change his mind and let me have the Infantry Branch Assignment and stick the other guy with a Field Artillery Branch Assignment (2LT.s assigned as "forward observers" at the time had an average life expectancy of 2 weeks.) but he refused.

My mental makeup and personality suited me to "small unity tactics" at which I excelled (first in my class in tactics), an officer in the Counterinsurgency Unit (specialties in ambushes, weapons, booby-traps,and sniper). I'm not much on "strait leg" type tactics; I studied the Russian Tank Tactics since "Light Infantry" are most vulnerable to armor. If you ever get a chance its interesting ready at least it was to me. While I was in college I used to keep a notebook in which as a hobby I designed "outposts" for far out in the bush inside Vietnam, complete with every gun implacement showing the interlocking fields of fire, mines, booby-traps, foo gas barrels (waste oil and flammables buried as explosive devices, I liked them covering the wire), 55 drums buried at angles with its of scrap metal with some C-4 at the bottom to act like giant shotguns (I also thought up my own improvised explosive devices and booby-traps). When I went through ROTC boot camp at Fort Sill, OK "I was told anyway" I was the first ROTC guy to take out three of their aggressors (that was back in the summer of 1970). Today, Bear Went over the Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics in Afghanistan is a must read.

I got stuck with Air Defense Artillery which was like driving a round peg in a square hole. The ONLY good thing was that I met that lot of Israeli Officers assigned Air Defense of Dimona, Israel and I found kindred spirits in those men! That is how I first fell in Love with Israel! There were Syrian Officers there also which I came to despise for their behavior and lack of professionalism!

Not many people know the Special Forces Creed

The Special Forces Creed

I am an American Special Forces soldier. A professional!

I will do all that my nation requires of me.

I am a volunteer, knowing well the hazards of my profession.

I serve with the memory of those who have gone before me:

Roger's Rangers, Francis Marion, Mosby's Rangers,

the first Special Service Forces and Ranger Battalions

of World War II, the Airborne Ranger Companies of Korea.

I pledge to uphold the honor and integrity

of all I am - in all I do.

I am a professional soldier.

I will teach and fight wherever my nation requires.

I will strive always, to excel in every art and artifice of war.

I know that I will be called upon to perform tasks

in isolation, far from familiar faces and voices,

with the help and guidance of my God.

I will keep my mind and body clean, alert and strong,

for this is my debt to those who depend upon me.

I will not fail those with whom I serve.

I will not bring shame upon myself or the forces.

I will maintain myself, my arms, and my equipment

in an immaculate state as befits a Special Forces soldier.

I will never surrender though I be the last.

If I am taken, I pray that I may have the strength

to spit upon my enemy.

My goal is to succeed in any mission

- and live to succeed again.

I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.

God grant that I may not be found wanting,

that I will not fail this sacred trust.

"De Oppresso Liber"

The motto: “De Oppresso Liber” is thought to translate to “To Liberate the Oppressed”. In actuality, the word liber is an adjective ‘free’ that could be translated ‘a free man’, and ‘de oppresso’ would be more an overwhelmed man. The phrase would therefore be more accurately translated, “from a caught man, a free man’.

While I was NEVER a part of Special Forces, the 3 years I spent training under them in college in the ROTC Counterinsurgency Unit were some of the best years of my life! Hard and exhausting training yet I loved every minute of it! You learn You can go far longer, harder, and farther than you ever thought you could when you just refuse to quit! They taught us that the mind will quit long before our bodies would. Running at night in the New Mexico desert with an M14 held high over your head with your lungs burning as if they were on fire and your feet stumbling. You have to will yourself on when everything tells you to stop. You tell yourself "I will not stop" only when your body fails and they revive you is it over. Fortunately for me, I never dropped although there was many times I thought I would never make it to that finish line! 40 years later you wonder what could have been if they would have given me that Infantry branch choice. I did finally did get into the Infantry when I joined the only U.S. Army National Guard Airborne Unit in Houston, Texas and I refused to accept my commision as an officer back but rather went in as a NCO. But by then my chance of a career was gone.

Thank You For Your Service (A Moment of Truth)

Last edited by Paparock; 11-12-2016 at 06:48 PM..
Old 11-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Lightbulb This Memorial Day Weekend

This Memorial Day Weekend

This time of year is always hardest for me you see because my name is supposed to be on that "Black Wall " in the ground. I was saved not by anything I did but the action of a Major that saved my life. I have suffered from survivors guilt ever since because all that went on the orders I was spared from were declared MIA Presumed Dead. That is a heavy burden to bear even though I had no knowledge of it all until after it was all over. Every time I see an image of that "Wall" those emotions all come flooding back like a giant wave especially this time of year! I have never been able to answer the VFWs letters, its just too HARD. I have just been sitting alone, waiting and praying to die. Sometimes, I think it would have been better if the Major would have just let me go!

Last edited by Paparock; 11-12-2016 at 10:31 PM..
Old 11-12-2016, 10:59 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Exclamation All I Remember

All I remember about the orders the Major showed me and what he told me back in early 1972. It was around April, I believe, was that I would have been part of a "Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol" going into Quang Tri Province. He showed me the orders as they came into his office with my name being the last on the list of names. He said he shifted the orders so that when he re-transmitted the orders my name was not transmitted. I never heard anything else about it other than the Brigade Commander was P.O. that I was still there and wanted to know what happened. He had already called me into his office an d told me to my face he was "going to do everything in his power to get me killed" his exact words. He felt that while I was the first Drug Suppression Platoon Leader on Okinawa I had singled his unit (my former unit before being transferred to Drug Suppression by Okinawa Command Headquarters) out for more drug raids than ore units when those decisions where made far above my and his pay grade. However he could take his frustrations out on a 2Lt. and not on the General Staff Officers making those decisions. If anyone knows anything about his mission all these years ago please contact me (paparock) here on Israel Military forum. The Col. made sure I knew all those that went on those orders were MIA presumed Dead.

Last edited by Paparock; 11-12-2016 at 11:01 PM..
Old 11-13-2016, 04:34 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

New Ron is on a distinguished road

Saluting all who have served in the U.S. Armed forces.

"If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence.. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel."
~ Golda Meir~

Israel Forum