Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Physical Fitness
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Physical Fitness your guide to physical fitness, training methods

Old 01-11-2016, 01:54 AM

Sky98 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Tzanchanim (paratroopers) physical ability requirements

Hi guys I'm turning 18 soon and live in the UK but I was born in Israel. I'm thinking of living in Israel (probably after I finish university abroad) but to move back I'll have to do national service. I want to fulfill my potential as much as possible and so get the most competitive role in the army I can get.

Now I'm not some poor wannabe who thinks he'll become a fighter pilot but then gets forced to become a fry chef because he does badly in the tzav rishon. I have a near-fluent Hebrew level and will make sure I'm 100% fluent and prepared the IQ tests before I'm enlisted. I'm a competitive martial artist and my fitness level is well above average. I can pump out the press-ups to 100ish reps, chin-ups to 30-40 reps, sit-ups to 200+ and dips beyond 100 reps all without stopping. I also have pretty decent stamina and can run 8km in under 40 minutes. I've been preparing quite a lot. Never had any real health problems so my health profile shouldn't be a problem.

I get it that I won't become the next ramat kal, but then I aim to go for a serious combat unit such as tzanchanim. Would anyone here be able to clarify the rough physical requirements I need and what I can expect to face on the gibush? I would like to make my physical training more specific.

Also I'm told you're given a chance to select choices of what you want to do in your national service, although the army considers it last. Is this correct?

Also enlisting a little later at let's say 22 years old shouldn't jeopardize my chances, should it? Thanks.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:11 AM
Dragon
Photobucket

Paparock is on a distinguished road

I can't speak to Israeli forces but I did train under U. S. Army Special Forces training from 1968 -1971 in a special unit set up inside ROTC back "in the day" during college and spent a tour in the only U.S. Army Nation Guard Aiborne Unit. I come from a military family.

All you say sounds good but the one thing you did not cover and you must have is mental toughness that makes you never quit even when you want to so bad. It makes you keep putting one foot in front of the other when your lungs are bursting, your legs are near collapse and your brain can't seem to function. It is what allows to function for over five days without sleep when others around you are throwing in the towel and you simple refuse to give up. That is what special umits look for. The mental side is just as if not more important that the physical because you can train and improve the physical and fighting skils but its hard to teach not to break mentally. That beaking point will be tested.

If you read up on U.S. Navy Seal BUDS training you get the idea of some of the toughest training to see if you will quit. While I was stationed on Okinawa back in early 70s I became friends with a few SEALs and have nothing but the highest respect for them and what they go through.
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”

Last edited by Paparock; 01-11-2016 at 06:33 AM..
Old 01-12-2016, 12:03 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

I started my career in the IDF at age 21.

If everything you claim is true then I am confused as to your concern. You have described yourself as in the 95% percentile of all enlistees.

You will take series of tests prior to enlistment - intelligence, psychological, and vocational. You are asked to pick the three units of the military you would most like to serve in. Recent history shows that over 80% get their first choice and >99% get the first or second choice.

If you are asking for advice, a common error of many is to confuse "fluency" in speaking with being literate. If you can pass a written bagrut, then don't worry about it. But if you can't read the orders, you can't relay them. Food for thought.

Keep a focus on your age. If you are going to start what you think will be sadir at age 22 or 23, you may be told, and not unheard of; "Thank you no, 6 months sadir in infantry to learn how to fire a weapon, then into reserves. Thanks for coming."

OK, observation, not advice. You "may want to live in Israel" As what? Not a word about anything other than details, precise details about the military. I think you should be honest with yourself about your goals. Even if sadir is 3 years, that's 1100 days. Then what? Israel has soldiers, they need builders, designers brain power in general. Let them love you for your mind.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparock View Post
you must have is mental toughness that makes you never quit even when you want to so bad. It makes you keep putting one foot in front of the other when your lungs are bursting, your legs are near collapse and your brain can't seem to function. It is what allows to function for over five days without sleep when others around you are throwing in the towel and you simple refuse to give up. That is what special umits look for. The mental side is just as if not more important that the physical because you can train and improve the physical and fighting skils but its hard to teach not to break mentally. That beaking point will be tested.
I completely agree. Mental side is harder to train but I guess the more intense physical training I do the more I learn how to cope with intense exercise pains. I can imagine in a gibush they make you do endless laps and pressups which make your whole body shake and your muscles full of lactic acid. The ones who crack under the pressure are the ones who go home.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:07 AM

And also thanks for your reply Rafi. Even if I was in the top 99.9% of candidates I'd still be cautious and ask around because as an Israeli living abroad the information is barely available to me. The last thing I want is to end up cutting salads when I could be doing something so much more enjoyable and interesting with my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
Keep a focus on your age. If you are going to start what you think will be sadir at age 22 or 23, you may be told, and not unheard of; "Thank you no, 6 months sadir in infantry to learn how to fire a weapon, then into reserves. Thanks for coming."
The point is for me to contribute my part when I return to Israel and to do my part well. If the IDF doesn't want me for the full 3 years then I'll just have to thank them for the years given back to my life and move on to something else after national service is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
OK, observation, not advice. You "may want to live in Israel" As what? Not a word about anything other than details, precise details about the military. I think you should be honest with yourself about your goals. Even if sadir is 3 years, that's 1100 days. Then what? Israel has soldiers, they need builders, designers brain power in general. Let them love you for your mind.
If all goes well with my studies I should have a highly sought after degree from a solid UK university before I even go near the army. Provided that my Hebrew improves a little between now and then, finding a job shouldn't be too much of a problem. I know the exact field of work I plan to enter in Israel and I already have some work experience for it. I think a bigger problem is finding affordable housing. Tel Aviv is my favorite city but to live there I'd have to either rent or take some crazy mortgage to live in a less nice area.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:37 PM

MannyT is on a distinguished road

Tel-Aviv is also one of my favorite cities, how much would the rent or mortgage be? Even if its rented out an American?
Israel Forum