Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > General > Sports > Cars, Motorcycles, stuff on wheels
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 01:04 PM

Brubrelek is on a distinguished road
Default Do you like to read?

Today we are so busy in facebook, any other social networks or in the internet. We have not much more time to spend in books however I really like to read books. What about you? Do you like reading books..?
Old 12-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Gold Member

Little Rock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brubrelek View Post
Today we are so busy in facebook, any other social networks or in the internet. We have not much more time to spend in books however I really like to read books. What about you? Do you like reading books..?
Shalom.

I don't belong to nor do I intend to join any social network such as Facebook or Twitter. I love to read and I read a lot both online and dead tree books.

Cheers
Old 12-22-2012, 03:28 PM

Elizabeth is on a distinguished road

I go on facebook, rarely twitter, mostly read what others tweet about once every couple of weeks.

I have other interests than facebook, although I do go on facebook during the day.

I just finished reading Godforsaken (Dinesh D'Souza), finally, holidays have been busy. And I am almost finished with Implosion (Joel Rosenberg) and getting ready to start either Londonistan (Melanie Phillips) or The World Turned Upside Down (Melanie Phillips.

I love to read.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brubrelek View Post
Please don't use the all-encompassing pronoun "we" when referring to the use of social media as if everyone wastes their time with the likes of Facebook, Twitter, and other nonsense. Some of us can still manage to communicate as responsible adults without resorting to such garbage.

Any reason why you posted this in the sports category?

Old 12-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

True this isn't exactly a sports topic. And I have, like many, stopped using social utilities--aside from putting up musical compositions. But as long as this is here:

Non-fiction, I love books on beekeeping, archery, knife-making, pottery-making, ancient languages, alphabets, mountain climbing, traditional handicrafts, historical geography, legal theory, and . . . I'll read almost anything that wouldn't have made my grannies blush. Though come to think of it, some of those women's novels in Yiddish might have made me blush.

Fiction I am fond of even mediocre techo-thrillers--I tell my wife that if the book has a jet fighter, battleship, submarine, tank, or major artillery piece on the cover, buy it. Love of very traditional Agatha Christie novels, PD James, . All good Sci-Fi (but NOT Fantasy). I don't read much American literature anymore, but am rereading Steinbeck now, and have read Hemingway in Hebrew and English. They stand out to me in both style and content.

I love the Russian classics, especially Dostoevsky, Turgenev, Tolstoy, Chekhov etc. English classics, too.

Shakespeare and Conan-Doyle are sacred in my house.

From my own tribe--SY Agnon, Saul Bellow, Herman Wouk, Chaim Potok, Paul Aster, EL Doctorow, Isaac Bashevas Singer, Muriel Sparks, Sholem Aleichem, etc.

I was stuck in an airport once, with a long layover. A Louis L'Amour western was sitting on the chair next to me. To my surprise, once you conjure up a little dry dust and horse sweat and the smell of cheap whiskey, they are nice escapes.

Being a semi-retired librarian, I read a lot.

Last edited by David of Galilee; 12-22-2012 at 06:13 PM..
Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

I don't use Facebook now, never used twitter.

This is the reading thread - http://www.israelmilitary.net/showthread.php?t=20012

"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark", Victor Hugo IIRC.
A war generating battles is ‘curse’ not ‘mirth’.

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Israel Forum