Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Army Related Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Army Related Forum Topics about the Israeli armed forces, special forces, tanks, apc's, guns etc + world armies.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:31 AM

kelevra05 is on a distinguished road
Default Israeli Citizen, live abroad, Combat Medic

Hello all, first post here, please be patient :)

The Mahal site is down, and there's much scattered information, but I'd like a case review, I apologize if I ask a question that's been asked many times before

I was born in Israel to Israeli citizens, (therefore, I'm Israeli), and moved to the US at 1 year of age. I am currently 21, will be 22 in September 2014, and in my senior year of college. My father is Jewish, although I am not. In fact, my grandfather is Kohanim, and buried in the Kohanim cemetery.

I currently work as an EMT (on an ambulance), and have also recently applied to medical school.

I was wondering if it would be possible to enlist in the IDF, and get a job as a combat medic. Would they take my background into consideration? Am I too old? How long would I essentially serve?

Also, where would I even begin to get started? If I do go to Israel, I'd like to expedite the process of service so that I don't waste much time. Also, I broke my femur 4 years ago, but have a titanium rod in there and it does not effect my running or day-to-day physical abilities in any capacity.

Thank you for your input!

Kelevra05
Old 07-29-2014, 06:13 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Welcome to our site here.

For all intents and purposes, you are a full Israeli citizen, regardless of your beliefs or anything else. To secure that privelege, you will need to have some documentation from your father when you go to the embassy to get a passport.

You are pretty close to the point where you are simply going to "age out" out of the military. So I would urge you to explore what you want to do as soon as possible.

Based upon your hebrew abilities to plead your case, and the documentation you can present, in hebrew, attesting to your experience, there is a chance the IDF muight train you to become a medic.

If they did, you must realize that you may have to serve for a longer period of time than others of your age who go into the service in a role that requires less training.

It is in your best interest to try to secure something in writing before you get to Israel.

I hope I have been of some help, feel free to circle back.

Rafi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelevra05 View Post
Hello all, first post here, please be patient :)

The Mahal site is down, and there's much scattered information, but I'd like a case review, I apologize if I ask a question that's been asked many times before

I was born in Israel to Israeli citizens, (therefore, I'm Israeli), and moved to the US at 1 year of age. I am currently 21, will be 22 in September 2014, and in my senior year of college. My father is Jewish, although I am not. In fact, my grandfather is Kohanim, and buried in the Kohanim cemetery.

I currently work as an EMT (on an ambulance), and have also recently applied to medical school.

I was wondering if it would be possible to enlist in the IDF, and get a job as a combat medic. Would they take my background into consideration? Am I too old? How long would I essentially serve?

Also, where would I even begin to get started? If I do go to Israel, I'd like to expedite the process of service so that I don't waste much time. Also, I broke my femur 4 years ago, but have a titanium rod in there and it does not effect my running or day-to-day physical abilities in any capacity.

Thank you for your input!

Kelevra05
Old 07-29-2014, 06:54 PM

kelevra05 is on a distinguished road

Rafi,

Thank you for your response.

So, I would need documentation from my father proving that he is jewish, even though I'm a full Israeli citizen?

Also, if I were to move there before the age of 24, would I really have to wait a full year to begin serving? I would not like to move there, wait a while, and then be told that I cannot serve anymore. What are the age limits? How quickly after I arrive can I begin service?

Also, if medic were not available, would infantry be an alternative option?

Thanks,

Kelevra05
Old 08-04-2014, 08:19 PM

judea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelevra05 View Post
Rafi,

Thank you for your response.

So, I would need documentation from my father proving that he is jewish, even though I'm a full Israeli citizen?

Also, if I were to move there before the age of 24, would I really have to wait a full year to begin serving? I would not like to move there, wait a while, and then be told that I cannot serve anymore. What are the age limits? How quickly after I arrive can I begin service?

Also, if medic were not available, would infantry be an alternative option?

Thanks,

Kelevra05
- If you move here before the age of 25, you will be enlisted, even if you are 26 or 27 by the time you are called up. 25 year old immigrants only are required to do 6 months in the army (not worth it), but you have the option to extend to 2 or 3 years if you want to do combat.

- You do not have to wait a year to begin serving. As soon as you land, make contact with the army's enlistment office and tell them in writing that you would like to be exempt from the year before they can contact you. They will then do their first meeting with you. Source: An American friend just went through this process a few weeks ago. I did as well years ago.

- As far as medics, there are two kinds. In every squad, there is a squad medic, as well as in every company there is a company medic, who is responsible for the squad medics. At the battalion level, you have a medical staff made up of a doctor, a paramedic (sometimes a hot girl), and a few combat medics. Combat medics' course takes 3 months or so, within the army, while paramedics' course is done outside the army I belive, and take nearly a year. It's almost like a field doctor.
Israel Forum