Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > General > Sports > Hobby
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hobby Military Modelling, Non-military models, Photography, Military collectibles, non-military colectibles, travel,...etc

Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Dragon

janetnjohn is on a distinguished road

yeah i'll have to look out for them. never heard of them but sounds good

I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence,

"I ask then, has God rejected His people? By no means! God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. For the gifts and call of God are irrevocable."
(Romans 11:1,2,29)
Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Retired
Photobucket

odie072 is on a distinguished road

Bought a Kindle a couple months ago and have rediscovered my love of reading.

Currently reading Green Team-Richard Marcinko, Commander USN, Plank Owner and founder of Seal Team Six and Red Cell. Green Team so far is excellent and being written in the 90's is eerily similar to terrorist activities today. 3rd book in the "Rogue Warrior" series.

Have read:
Rogue Warrior-Richard Marcinko, his first book on his experiences with the Seals and the founding of Seal Team Six and Red Cell. 5 stars if you like rough and gruff military action complete with all the four letter words you can think of.

Red Cell-Richard Marcinko, second book in the series and is also a 5 star action packed book.

Lone Survivor-Marcus Luttrell, first hand account of "Operation Redwing" and Seal Team 10. Phenomenal book!! You will be Mad, Sad and very Proud all in a few pages. A must read if you like the Seals or just a military buff.

No Easy Day-Mark Owen, first hand account of the mission that killed Bin Laden. Very good book from a member who was there.. Very respectful of the Seals and others who were there.

Marine Sniper 93 Confirmed Kills-Charles Henderson, the story of Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock II, Marine Scout/Sniper. Very Excellent book about a very extraordinary Marine . A must read.

Love the Kindle and I highly recommend one if you love to read. You can also get a app for your android or I-phone so you can take your book anywhere.

Great idea for a thread btw

odie
That might of been the sad end of the story. But Nemo refused to give in without a fight. Ignoring his serious head wound, the 85 pound dog threw himself at the Vietcong guerrillas who had opened fire. Nemo's ferocious attack brought Thorneburg the time he needed to call in backup forces.

Although severely wounded, Nemo crawled to his master and covered him with his body.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Dragon

haven't read any of them sorry, i have read about and seen documentaries about hathcock, very skillful sniper. will look out for that red cell book, thanks

I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence,

"I ask then, has God rejected His people? By no means! God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. For the gifts and call of God are irrevocable."
Old 11-16-2012, 01:22 PM

Elizabeth is on a distinguished road

Love my Kindle! I have over 100 books on it.

I have an older one that is for reading only and I have the Kindle Fire. Which is a small tablet, does just about everything. It is perfect! for taking everywhere to read, play games, internet. It uses wifi, but they have a new one coming out that is more like the ipad and uses 4g.

My sister is getting that one. She reads like I do and is in the process of the Seal Team 6 book.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

My prefer to load books free, if I have to buy I prefer hard copy.

Might look into that app for the android I just bought.
A war generating battles is ‘curse’ not ‘mirth’.

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 11-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

This is an excellent book also available on Kindle - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Men-Ris.../dp/1849164231

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 11-18-2012, 02:08 AM

I have the kindle app on my phone and my computer also.

I like Dinesh D'Souza. I have this book on my kindle, just haven't gotten to it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Roots-Obam...obama%27s+rage
Old 11-19-2012, 06:30 AM
Retired
Photobucket

odie072 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaur View Post
My prefer to load books free, if I have to buy I prefer hard copy.

Might look into that app for the android I just bought.
I felt the same way about books until I got the Kindle(which is just the basic one, but if I had to do it over I would have got the one that is touch screen and 3G, not the fire). Now instead of having books all over the place I have a library on my Kindle, laptop and Android(may be getting a tablet too).

Just a very convenient way of reading and I have a book wherever I go. You can bookmark or highlight passages or even make notes that you can refer to later. The last printed book I bought, On Combat by Lt Col Dave Grossman(ret), the binding fell apart while I was reading. You don't have that problem with the e-book, just got to remember to keep everything charged and synced!!

Gonna check that book out Knaur(just going to use Amazon US) and the Obama book looks interesting too Elizabeth. Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming!

O, one more thing, if you get any of Marcinko's books(Rogue Warrior), read them in order. Makes them understandable and flows easier.

odie
That might of been the sad end of the story. But Nemo refused to give in without a fight. Ignoring his serious head wound, the 85 pound dog threw himself at the Vietcong guerrillas who had opened fire. Nemo's ferocious attack brought Thorneburg the time he needed to call in backup forces.

Although severely wounded, Nemo crawled to his master and covered him with his body.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 PM

The kindles are awesome in that you can highlight sections, make comments on it and then post to facebook or twitter. Right from the book.

Titles I have:
Israel At War, by Joel Rosenberg, non fiction. Pro Israel author.
The Everlasting Hatred, Hal Lindsey, non fiction, Pro Israel.
Middle East Burning, Mark Hitchcock, non fiction, Pro Israel
Obama And The War Against the Jews, Alan Horowitz, non fiction, pro Isreal
Standing With Israel, David Brog, non fiction, Pro Israel

These are just a few I have on my kindle, on Israel subject alone, I have more on Just Israel. I have started Middle East Burning.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 PM

Welcome Myong! Nice to meet you.

They do indeed do an excellent job here supporting Israel and military and talking with others like minded.

Lots of information, good stuff to read and absorb. Great place to get truth here about Israel and these conflicts.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Odie,

Despite being young I remain a bit of a troglodyte, besides e-books are free mostly or at very nominal charges, online I read from Gutengberg project sometime, its an excellent preservation project for classics.

Dinesh D'Souza as Elizabeth recommends is a great author but he is firmly in GOP camp, he is evangelical, hence one must keep an open mind while reading him, but then again, that is good advise for reading any book I suppose.

I am interested in reading this book about the evolution of American Gen. staff since WW2, forgot the name, also need to follow up on Killer Angels, you must read that one if you haven't, ACW scenario fiction at its finest with credible military details, rare.

The book I linked above is about the Welsh Guards' tour of deployment, as you can see it comes with 5/5 rating on Amazon, it ll give you a good idea of the crap Brits are putting up with and how they are overcoming these obstacles.

Iv heard about Rogue Warriors series manytimes, never got around to it.

My semester ends in Dec., hopefully it all works out.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Dragon

"Dinesh D'Souza as Elizabeth recommends is a great author but he is firmly in GOP camp, he is evangelical, hence one must keep an open mind while reading him, but then again, that is good advise for reading any book I suppose."

Old 11-22-2012, 12:37 AM

vimana is on a distinguished road

I'm reading Chris Kyle's "American Sniper", an autobiography of the most successful sniper in American military history. Kyle is a Navy SEAL, he made more than 150 confirmed kills during Operation Iraqi Freedom. His description of the training, service and unique culture of these elite troops is interesting.

Just finished S.M. Stirling's "Peshawar Lancers", I love alternate history and Sterling is one of my favorites. He has a great imagination. I looked for Peshawar, scrutinizing a map of India, but it turns out it's in Pakistan! Of course, in the story it's all India, there never was a Pakistan. That's what threw me off at first.

Has anyone read "The Last Israelis" by Noah Beck? Looks fascinating, doesn't it? I haven't read it yet. I love books that deal with the ethics and moral complexities of warfare. My sister knows I want it, and she has hinted that I might find it under the tree this Christmas, or even receive it as a birthday gift (my birthday is in December also).
Old 11-22-2012, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Haven't read any of them but I know of Stirling's works.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Reading Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising, finally.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 AM
Dragon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-War-20.../dp/0340748567

anybody read total war 2006?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Nope, is it any good?

I am planning on finishing Red Storm Rising soon and then read the one about the Welsh Guards' deployment in 'Stan.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Dragon

it was ok, about a future WW3 and how it plays out.

sniper one was a good read

Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

http://www.thehindu.com/books/books-...cle5193805.ece

Author Tom Clancy dead

R.I.P.

Red Storm Rising and The Hunt For Red October remain immensely enjoyable novels.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaur View Post
http://www.thehindu.com/books/books-...cle5193805.ece

Author Tom Clancy dead

R.I.P.

Red Storm Rising and The Hunt For Red October remain immensely enjoyable novels.
Yes, those two were earlier novels of Mr Clancy, and they remained his best works.
Israel Forum