Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Media > Images & Media Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Images & Media Forum Military or none military related images, videos and other media's. No Graphic Content Allowed also book reviews

Old 01-04-2008, 08:11 AM

tanks_alot is on a distinguished road

A little update...

Infantry operating in the West Bank:

The Givati infantry brigade during training:

Givati recruits during a family day in their training base:

The IAF's commander greetings the new flight course recruits at the IDF's recruitmnet center:

A Merkava tank during training in the Golan heights:

IDF's chief of staff visiting an armored battalion during training:

Soldiers from YAHALOM - the combat engineers special froce - during their summarizing exercise, at the end of their year and a half long training course.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:28 PM

BrittleSteel is on a distinguished road

The dog tags are usually covered with a cloth pocket. The chain also - often a soft shoe string. Its a neat trick. Sometime a combat unit will spring for some goodies for the guys. That box i'm guessing it one of them, though honestly i've never seen something like that. I got one from my unit which was a cloth/velcro pocket with the unit logo on it.

Maybe its a box for holding a mini book of psalms? That wouldn't sound too weird.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:19 PM

This week the operational media coverage course of the IDF's spokesman department, which trains soldiers from different combat unit in video and stills photography, had ended. for the first time this course was conducted along with the US army's Camera Combat unit troops.

Highrez
Old 02-08-2008, 12:56 AM

The Givati inantry brigade.

Achzarit APCs

Picture from an ability display today at the IDF armor school

Title says soldiers in operational activity, but to me it kind of looks like one of the urban fighting training center

Another picture from the operational media coverage course

The Colombian defense minister meeting with the IDF's chief of staff during a 3 day visit to Israel

Nahal brigade troops during a brigade level exercise which was held this week

The IDF's chief of staff observing an exercise during the company and battalion commander's course

Old 02-08-2008, 08:54 AM

Groundpounder is on a distinguished road

I guess I didn't realize this thread was up and moving again.There are many interesting things portrayed in the pics that I find interesting.I didn't realize that the Israeli's had a special force of combat engineers called "Yahalom".I was wondering what their function was for instance are they used when structures or buildings need to be blown up or are they used in more of a recon role?
Old 02-08-2008, 03:39 PM

Gilads is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder View Post
I didn't realize that the Israeli's had a special force of combat engineers called "Yahalom".I was wondering what their function was for instance are they used when structures or buildings need to be blown up or are they used in more of a recon role?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayeret_Yahalom

Google is an amazing thing...

Old 02-08-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilads View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayeret_Yahalom

Google is an amazing thing...
Yea I know but, sometimes people provide a few additional tidbits not found in sites like wikipedia.I personally don't trust wikipedia since it can be edited meaning that anyone can provide false or misleading information for political reasons or other aims.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Yea I know but, sometimes people provide a few additional tidbits not found in sites like wikipedia.I personally don't trust wikipedia since it can be edited meaning that anyone can provide false or misleading information for political reasons or other aims.
And an open forum wouldn't be any different?

Old 02-09-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilads View Post
And an open forum wouldn't be any different?
Au contraire, here is a prime example of tidbits of a more personal nature by Brittle Steel:
Quote:
The dog tags are usually covered with a cloth pocket. The chain also - often a soft shoe string. Its a neat trick. Sometime a combat unit will spring for some goodies for the guys. That box i'm guessing it one of them, though honestly i've never seen something like that. I got one from my unit which was a cloth/velcro pocket with the unit logo on it.

Maybe its a box for holding a mini book of psalms? That wouldn't sound too weird.
This is the kind of info I like and try finding this in a book or a web site.They usually print only the facts and no interesting story to go along with it.Besides I can usually tell when someone is lying to me anyway.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Au contraire, here is a prime example of tidbits of a more personal nature by Brittle Steel:This is the kind of info I like and try finding this in a book or a web site.They usually print only the facts and no interesting story to go along with it.Besides I can usually tell when someone is lying to me anyway.
Asking about the nature of a classified unit such as Yahalom is very differnt from the example above.

I highly doubt anyone who knows about the unit more than what is featured in Wikipedia would reveal such details.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:37 PM

Children, children, play nice.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks_alot View Post
Children, children, play nice.
I could of have continued the debate even though I could provide evidence to the contrary.I just thought it pointless to argue on a subject until the cows come home.Besides I had already hijacked your thread enough.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:49 PM

It has water markes on the picutres, but they are still nice.
The 401 armored brigade during winter training in the Golan heights:

Old 02-26-2008, 04:16 PM

The Dutch chief of staff meeting with his Israeli counter part, during a visit to Israel:

HighRes

HighRes

Officer's course graduation ceremony:

HighRes
Old 02-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Gold Member

dzone is on a distinguished road

Great pictures ! Go IDF !

Last edited by dzone; 02-27-2008 at 09:08 PM..
Old 06-29-2008, 08:25 AM

lselmon2 is on a distinguished road

Hello. I would like to know of any advice for joining Oketz. I too am aware of the shady proccess involved in joining the IDF. However, as an American who has no legal obligation to join and as a volunteer, it is very important to me that I spend my time in a good unit. What can I do to make sure that I don't get pushed around and tricked into a unit that will waste my time? Second question regards age. I will be older than the conscripts, at what age will this be problematic? 22,23,etc... Thank you very much.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Dragon

HideNSeek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lselmon2 View Post
Hello. I would like to know of any advice for joining Oketz. I too am aware of the shady proccess involved in joining the IDF. However, as an American who has no legal obligation to join and as a volunteer, it is very important to me that I spend my time in a good unit. What can I do to make sure that I don't get pushed around and tricked into a unit that will waste my time? Second question regards age. I will be older than the conscripts, at what age will this be problematic? 22,23,etc... Thank you very much.
With all due respect, no units are a "waste of time", its disparaging for soldiers serving in these units. What are the "shady proccess involved in joining the IDF?" your talking about? I got news for you, your not going to be in some Sayeret unit because you feel entitled to it. That being said I'm not even sure what your plans are (didn't really outline much), are you going for aliya ( also do you speak Hebrew)? Because if your not, your "dream" unit is probably out of reach. Best of Luck, but if you can't take the annoyance of serving in a regular army unit, I suggest you consider joining the US army.

Last edited by HideNSeek; 06-29-2008 at 10:33 AM..
Old 06-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lselmon2 View Post
There are a few threads dedicated to Americans like yourself interested in joining the IDF. There is also a complete website dedicated to the process.

I recommend you read those threads and then check out the web site. In an average year there about 300 or 400 "special" people just like you from all over the world who are most interested in getting into the best unit possible. You can read first hand accounts of their experiences. You can find it here: http://www.mahal-idf-volunteers.org/forum/

As to your "having no obligation to join", the IDF has not had a manpower issue since the 1970s. In other words, you better do a reality check on who is doing who a favor by allowing people to play army man. The IDF is incredibly successful, via exams and entrance interviews, at filtering out those who think that when all else fails in life they can jump over to Israel and become Rambo and magically get their lives in order. By coincidence they are very concerned about shady foreigners who want to connive their way into units that are elite for a reason. But of course I am certain you are fluent in hebrew, have a clear understanding of group dynamics in an Israeli cultural setting and are willing to commit a number of years to the IDF since training for special units can take as much as two years.

Up front, my advice? Keep in mind that since IDF service is mandatory in Israel, every choice position is competed for relentlessly by the top ten to twenty male and female students from every single High School from every single graduating class in Israel, who join clubs at age 15 to prepare for the entry exams, have parents and siblings who are already members of these units, are fluent in hebrew and were all presidents of the debate club and captains of the soccer team.

As was mentioned previously in the prior post, the goal of serving in the IDF as a volunteer is to support Israel. It takes thousands of support soldiers to make the army work. And every single one of them is incredibly valuable.

Last edited by rafi; 06-30-2008 at 12:47 AM..
Old 07-08-2008, 10:44 AM

lselmon2 is on a distinguished road

Quote: "With all due respect, no units are a "waste of time", its disparaging for soldiers serving in these units. What are the "shady proccess involved in joining the IDF?" your talking about? I got news for you, your not going to be in some Sayeret unit because you feel entitled to it. That being said I'm not even sure what your plans are (didn't really outline much), are you going for aliya ( also do you speak Hebrew)? Because if your not, your "dream" unit is probably out of reach. Best of Luck, but if you can't take the annoyance of serving in a regular army unit, I suggest you consider joining the US army."--HideNSeek

With all due respect, I did not mean to insult any part of the IDF. However, what I meant is that one has to realistically look at options in life. One may feels that with their hebrew skills, physical ability, personal motivation, family history, and college education, etc., that it would be a deservice to the country as a jobnick driving a truck in the Golan. As such one may wish to aim as high as he can, as in the service of the state, do everything and ask everyone how to attain these goals. I suggest that you do not confuse duty and motivation with selfish entitlement.
Thank you,
Rambo

Last edited by lselmon2; 07-08-2008 at 10:47 AM..
Old 07-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Paparock is on a distinguished road

Oustanding pictures!!! Don't forget you can post them on the Newest Thumbs section also.
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”

Israel Forum