Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Self Defense
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Self Defense Martial arts, defending yourself, krav maga, firearms, weapons, survival, etc.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Dragon

Archangel is on a distinguished road
Default Update

Check it out guys.

Sig Sauer P220

Glock 21 SF

And I really enjoyed this one. A replica Model 1887 Lever Action 12 Gauge shotgun.

Last edited by Archangel; 03-30-2013 at 11:12 PM..
Old 03-31-2013, 05:06 AM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

Classic lines on that shotgun. Is this one Chinese-made from Norinco? Always been curious how good they get it.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:17 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

New Ron is on a distinguished road

I love your toys Archangel! I need to get some too! :) From your experience is the Sig Sauer P220 easier to use than the Glock 21?

"If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence.. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel."
~ Golda Meir~

Old 03-31-2013, 11:45 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David of Galilee View Post
Classic lines on that shotgun. Is this one Chinese-made from Norinco? Always been curious how good they get it.
It is Chinese but not Norinco, Century is the importer and according to a gunsmith I talked to who specializes in the 1887 12 gauge, the Century model is one of the better 1887 imports. He said they based it on his work and they almost got the tolerances right.

If you're interested, talk to Coyote Cap, he'll set you straight on which one to get. Here is his site. http://www.coyotecap.com/gunsmithingsimplified.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Ron View Post
I love your toys Archangel! I need to get some too! :) From your experience is the Sig Sauer P220 easier to use than the Glock 21?
Yes and no. The DA/SA and decocker does make for one more complication in the design. However the P226 9mm which the US Navy SEALs reportedly use is based on the P220 and they seem to think highly enough of the P-series to use one themselves. The SA feature will add to your accuracy over DA (just like shooting a revolver.). The field strip adds one more piece to remember but since I can field strip and reassemble a 1911 literally blind folded, it's not an issue for me. Also the lever is easier to use for field stripping vs the pull down tab on the Glock frame. However if you still like the Glock idea, the XD pistols have a similar lever.

The P220 is naturally single stacked, you can use 1911 mag pouches if you want to carry extra mags. With the single stack, it's obviously a more compact design than the Glock 21 so it might be a better option for concealed carry.

The Glock on the other hand is simplier on the field strip. The spring is self contained (One less part to remember), no decocker so it's less complicated (conscript shooter friendly) and 13 round standard mag capacity (15 rounds with +2 mag extensions which I have on my other mags).

Being well versed in using guns I can use either one confidently. If I have to hand one to a new shooter I'd hand them the Glock but not without a very serious talking to about the trigger safety for the sake of gun safety. If I hand a noob any gun, it would be an XD (grip safety, fighting chance to avoid noob issues with gun safety) or a 1911 (grip and thumb safety, better chance). Both the P220 and the Glock in design I have to treat them as if they had an active hair trigger and are a hot pistol because of their design, they're based on old school line of thought, safeties, if any, are an after thought and your brain had better be hard wired to your hands and equipped with common sense, a "just don't be stupid" line of thought.

Rule 3 for these pistols like the Navy SEALs teach their recruits is required. "Keep your booger hook off of the bang switch until you intend to fire."

I hope that answers your questions.

Last edited by Archangel; 03-31-2013 at 11:51 PM..
Old 04-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Dragon

One more. With me it seems to always be one more. At least my new gf doesn't mind.

The SKS design was the first russian designed semi-auto I have ever fired. I liked the round but loved what the AK design offered so I ended up going towards the AK design for my first semi-auto rifle.

However, there is something about the classic lines of an SKS that you have to love. Like looking at an M14 or an M1 Garand, it's eye pleasing. The one I shot was a non-surplus pre-ban Norinco SKS that a friend's grandfather had. A few years later he got to see me and his grandson dump a few mags from one of my AKs, the old war horse liked that. :)

Anyway, I stumbled up on a Century imported SKS. These are special, they're pre-ban like the Norincos of the 80's and 90's but they're also Chinese surplus. These are Sino-Soviet SKSs, built as a joint venture between China and the Soviets. Real piece of history. Nothing on these have been altered, as is, they pass customs inspections and ATF requirements with flying colors. 100% Chi-com made, Soviet influenced. I think this one was made in 1957 but I'm not sure. She shoots well as I managed to inspect the bore carefully before purchase, chrome lining still intact, lands and grooves well defined, crown in great condition.

So, Chi-com Type 56