Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > General > Movies, Music & Games Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Movies, Music & Games Forum Movies, Music & Games Forum

Old 06-14-2011, 06:52 PM

Jacobtess is on a distinguished road
Question How to familiarize with israeli pop culture?

I've a simple inquiry: How can one go about familiarizing oneself with the popular culture/movies/TV of Israel? More precisely, which TV shows are the Israeli equivalents of famous American ones like Burn Notive, the Cosby Show, That 70's Show, SNL, etc.....and which movies are the Israeli equivalents of popularized American ones like Pulp Fiction, The Matrix, Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho, etc. etc. ? I think this would be a good step forward in trying to understand the Israeli psyche based on pop culture and such. If anyone has any other suggestions, they are greatly welcomed. Thanks!
--Pirkei Avot 2:21
"I don't play accurately - any one can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression."
- Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
"The end of all things; all has been said: Fear G-d, and obey his commandments for that is the whole [duty] of man"-- Ecclesiastes
"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"--Dirtdiver, The Unit
Old 06-15-2011, 03:10 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Israeli daily life is filled with exotic Middle Eastern fare.

We buy office supplies at a place called "Office Max", eat hamburgers at someplace called McDonalds or Burger King, get packages delivered by UPS. Snack is something called OREOs and the latest movies are famous Israeli movies like "True Grit".

TV has a Sixty Minutes, A Star is Born as well as 24. In other words, mainstream culture is no different than any place inthe world. Oh. Israelis are ranked number 1 in the world for hours spent daily on Social Web sites on the web.

We haven't danced the Hora around a campfire since Paul Newman finished filming Exodus in 1963.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Dragon

joejd12 is on a distinguished road

While everything Rafi said is undoubtedly true, I'm sure that if you begin to watch Israeli tv, comedians, music, or anything that is uniquely israeli you will realize that something is different...

like most nations, Israelis have a unique sense of humour and way of thinking, Im almost 100% sure that if you watch israeli tv shows you wouldn't get them, so far everything I've shown to non-israelis was met with a reaction of "he he... heh... (usually fake laughter mixed in with pitty at what they view as a complete failure at humour)...

try watching latma, obamas under the sea fantasy is a prime example of the above

Old 06-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Retired

haamimhagolan is on a distinguished road

I would first caution that Israel, like the United States and many other nations, has undergone a lot of changes over the decades - with each era having its own distinct trends in terms of popular music, radio and television. My wife's parents, for example, used to be fond of HaGashash HaHiver - an Israeli comedy troupe popular back in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Looking back at them today, however, is like watching a re-run of Laugh-In. They are part of a particular chapter in popular culture and history.

In terms of what is popular in Israel today, aside from the many American imports that Rafi alluded to (which you will find dominate popular entertainment throughout most of the world), I'd have to say that Eretz Nehederet (A Wonderful Country), Israel's equivalent of Saturday Night Live, has to stand out as one element from popular Israeli TV that is readily accessible outside of Israel.

The skit under the link below is a classic, depicting how many Israelis viewed the international coverage of Operation Cast Lead in 2009.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x81...-and-gaza_news

The following skit (based on the "Angry Birds" video game) has become an international sensation in its own right.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:35 PM

jgarbuz is on a distinguished road
Default You can only understand a culture by living in it a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobtess View Post
I've a simple inquiry: How can one go about familiarizing oneself with the popular culture/movies/TV of Israel? Thanks!
If you wanted to know what Greek popular culture is like, you could watch recent Greek movies, but the reality is, you'd have to go to Greece, live there, work there, and learn Greek, and eventually understand what you are watching, reading and hearing. To understand the subliminal messages in any culture, there is no substitute for immersing yourself by living there for at least 10 years. You cannot fully understand the mentality of a people until you have become immersed in its day to day, nitty gritty, real life. Otherwise, what you THINK you know is really superficial.

I lived in Israel for ten years, and even though I am a JEw, who learned some Hebrew in Yeshiva as a kid, and read a lot, and thought I knew a lot, but it really took ten years of living there to really absorb it into my psyche. I would say one of the most critical elements is serving in the army. I don't think you are a full Israeli until you have been part of that whole experience, and since I did not serve, I really missed a lot. I immigrated to Israel at age 37, and missed that whole formative experience of being molded by service in the IDF. I think being a soldier in any country makes a difference, but in Israel the IDF really is the core shared experience for most Jewish Israelis. The IDF in Israel is like a fraternity, a football team, and a social scene. Many Israelis meet and eventually marry in the IDF. It is the core experience without which you only can understand only half of Israel at best. It turns Jewish boys and girls into relatively strong men and women.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:26 PM

jgarbuz is on a distinguished road
Default Having said what I said, there many Israeli films

that I have accessed on Netflix. Movies anywhere only give you a "hollywood"-style somewhat slanted glint which can never be fully trusted as being seriously representative, nonetheless they do give some general impressions. Netflix is a relatively inexpensive way of easily accessing some foreign films, including some Israeli ones, so you could start there. Most ISraeli movies have an anti-war slant,and some an anti-religious slant, but that is indicative of our age. Movie makers in ISrael, as in the US, are generally Left-wingers. Nonetheless, you can get some insight into how most Israelis actually live and their problems that might be useful to you. Most of it is not very glamorous.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:27 PM

Israeliman is on a distinguished road

What about games like playing Matkot on the seaside beaches or a family board game called Rummikub or Israeli playing card game called Taki ?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israeliman View Post
What about games like playing Matkot on the seaside beaches or a family board game called Rummikub or Israeli playing card game called Taki ?

Matkot and rummicube are "culture"?

Problem solving and group dynamics that are associated with interactions growing up in school form a culture and help those in a society understand how one human relates to another.

Two (non-homosexual) men walking holding hands in Israel is cultural. Tight clothing is cultural. Growing up 3 or 4 siblings to a room is cultural. How do you teach any of those?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
Matkot and rummicube are "culture"?

Problem solving and group dynamics that are associated with interactions growing up in school form a culture and help those in a society understand how one human relates to another.

Two (non-homosexual) men walking holding hands in Israel is cultural. Tight clothing is cultural. Growing up 3 or 4 siblings to a room is cultural. How do you teach any of those?
i have NEVER seen or heard of such a custom...

I know in India men hold hands, but such a thing was NEVER present (at least in the 2 decades or so in which i've been alive)
Old 06-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejd12 View Post
i have NEVER seen or heard of such a custom...

I know in India men hold hands, but such a thing was NEVER present (at least in the 2 decades or so in which i've been alive)
That's certainly not an Indian custom or even Asian custom. It's Arabic, Arab men have a different concept of personal space than many other societies.
A war generating battles is ‘curse’ not ‘mirth’.

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Old 06-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaur View Post
That's certainly not an Indian custom or even Asian custom. It's Arabic, Arab men have a different concept of personal space than many other societies.
Correct, it's Arabic. And since 50%+ of all Israelis are Arabic Israelis.................
Old 06-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Dragon

I based my statement that such a thing is common in India on hearsay and Russel Peters (admittedly not a great source), however i went on to look this up seeing as how you definetely know more about india, and it appears that in some parts of India this custom is more common than others?

as to holding hands in israel... I remain convinced that I have never witnessed such a thing, nor heard about it, though it should be mentioned that the majority of my friends and contacts were ashkenazi (referencing to Rafi's post).

maybe such a custom is still present in older arabic jews, but i still believe that the younger generations would scoff at this, and such behaviour would certainly be accompanied by "certain" remarks...
Old 06-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
I based my statement that such a thing is common in India on hearsay and Russel Peters (admittedly not a great source), however i went on to look this up seeing as how you definetely know more about india, and it appears that in some parts of India this custom is more common than others?

as to holding hands in israel... I remain convinced that I have never witnessed such a thing, nor heard about it, though it should be mentioned that the majority of my friends and contacts were ashkenazi (referencing to Rafi's post).

maybe such a custom is still present in older arabic jews, but i still believe that the younger generations would scoff at this, and such behaviour would certainly be accompanied by "certain" remarks...
I lived in Yerucham and then moved to Tiberias where I worked in the shikunim, very little ashkenazic contact during my "formative" years.
So we probably did encounter different Israeli cultures. My hebrew is laced with arabic terms and my accent more a kurdish one than a pure Israeli one. Tell Aviv Israelis give me the heebee jeebies.

As recently as 2006 I remember walking into a meeting with a base commander who I had been working closely with, and had that anglo discomfort with him holding my hand.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't know about that, could be, since India is a vast country. However, I have never seen anything like that, either in person in any area I'v been to whatsoever or in movies etc., nor have I ever heard about any such custom here. I'v seen girls or kids holding hands though, never men. Arab men I have heard hold hands and generally stand in much closer proximity though, its normal in their culture. Even cheek kissing is common.
A war generating battles is ‘curse’ not ‘mirth’.

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9

Last edited by Knaur; 06-28-2011 at 10:09 AM..
Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Dragon

cute_assassin is on a distinguished road

I have a weird question if anyone can reply to. Do you guys have southpark in Israel?? If yes, what do most of the people think about cartman? And his rhetorics to Kyle wrt him being of Jewish faith?? Also are the profanities in tv shoes beeped out in Israel??

Also, as Joe said about India, having been there quiet a few times, I'd have to agree with Russel Peters... It seemed kinda weird at first when I saw It, but then one of the guys said " dude.. We are comfortable with our sexuality." I didn't really know what to make of that then..

Those who can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. It is the freedom to refrain, withdraw and abstain which makes a totalitarian regime impossible. - Eric Hoffer

Today its a new beginning!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Retired
Photobucket

odie072 is on a distinguished road

Israeliman, you have already been warned once about the way you conduct yourself here. The next time you question a Moderator, you will be banned. If you have a personal problem with the mod because of what occurred last time, take it up in a pm with that mod.

Last warning, change the attitude.

Your post is being deleted.

odie
That might of been the sad end of the story. But Nemo refused to give in without a fight. Ignoring his serious head wound, the 85 pound dog threw himself at the Vietcong guerrillas who had opened fire. Nemo's ferocious attack brought Thorneburg the time he needed to call in backup forces.

Although severely wounded, Nemo crawled to his master and covered him with his body.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:26 AM

johnhodges is on a distinguished road

There is a jewish movie coming soon to threader's ever where and it is about a man that just found out that his mom was in the holocaust and he is going to find out what happened to her and why she did not tell hem i am dieing to see it and it is pg13 so it is for teens and you can see it in 3d and have some fresh pop corn so that is cool right so i think ok well i need to go so by
Israel Forum