Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Physical Fitness
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Physical Fitness your guide to physical fitness, training methods

Old 07-05-2010, 03:06 PM

Chavi is on a distinguished road
Default Sayeret/commando entrance test

Hey, what kind of physical tests/exercises do you need to pass to get into Sayeret Tzanchanim or Sayeret Matkal?

How many km's of flat out running?
How may Push up's/Chin up's?

Also, how long do you sign up to serve in Sayeret (incl. training). I know that most combat Chativot (Golani, Givati etc, only require 30 months for my age category)

I'm gonna be enlisting next year at age 18-19.

Thanks, Avi
Old 07-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavi View Post
Hey, what kind of physical tests/exercises do you need to pass to get into Sayeret Tzanchanim or Sayeret Matkal?

How many km's of flat out running?
How may Push up's/Chin up's?

Also, how long do you sign up to serve in Sayeret (incl. training). I know that most combat Chativot (Golani, Givati etc, only require 30 months for my age category)

I'm gonna be enlisting next year at age 18-19.

Thanks, Avi
There are many many threads asking these very Questions.
Use our search engine. Also follow the advice given to you in your other post.

The challenge for people like you is that you will be treated 100% as an Iraeli, as if you grew up in Israel and be judged on that basis. The tests are way beyond simple physical tasks, and being perfect inthat area is hardly a guarantee of admittance.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:11 PM

AGoodman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
There are many many threads asking these very Questions.
Use our search engine. Also follow the advice given to you in your other post.

The challenge for people like you is that you will be treated 100% as an Iraeli, as if you grew up in Israel and be judged on that basis. The tests are way beyond simple physical tasks, and being perfect inthat area is hardly a guarantee of admittance.
Well what is a guarantee of admittance? There must be some specific characteristics that they are looking for. There is surly a science to becoming a commando.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodman View Post
Well what is a guarantee of admittance? There must be some specific characteristics that they are looking for. There is surly a science to becoming a commando.
Welcome to our site.

There is a huge focus on the physical requirements by candidates, and I do not wish to downplay them, but they are minimum entry conditions.

Is there a "science" to preparing yourself to be eligible to try out to become a commando in the IDF? Of course there is, but most people who ask this question on an english language board have already spent most of their lives excluding themselves.

Grow up in Israel and have connections, friends and relatives who are serving. For an Israeli this is simple. For your entire life you absorb the mindset and the real reasons for serving. You can speak with those serving, and begin to form a real opinion of what is really required.

Excel in school - in Israel - so that by 9th grade there are branches of the service thinking already what a good candidate you will be. The access to Israeli school records and observations is very important.

Demonstrate leadership either in sports or academics or community affairs.
Are you the one who always finishes first? Or are you the one who comes in second because you slowed down to encourage a struggling friend.

Is your personality the one that makes people come to you for advice or a shoelace if needed?

So yes, there is a real formula for getting a great assignment in the iDF. For those who are over the age of 16 asking the question, the first answer is.....

step one - get a time machine..............
Old 11-13-2013, 09:48 PM

AGoodman is on a distinguished road

Well thank you for welcoming me. I appreciate your input but I won't quit because I am not Israeli. I am a Jew and my place in the elite is just as valid as any sabra who works hard enough for it. No time machine needed.

I am making aliyah in 2 months and I will most surly enlist in July to try and join one of the special forces units.

I think the valuing of nobility over competitive behavior, while not discrediting it but certainly not prioritizing it, is a righteous one and I don't doubt the men who do this produce the best soldiers.

I work out 2/3 hours every day of the week even if I drink alcohol the night before (its my last semester in college) and it is all in preparation for my service.

-My work out starts with a 5-8 mile (8km-12km) all on an incline of 6.5%-7.5% to simulate going up a hill. That usually takes roughly an hour.

-Than I go to my UFC gym where I train in either Muay Thai (my main fighting style) or boxing. That usually last for an hour and its very regimental and aggressive.

-The last hour is spent either lifting weights (to strengthen myself) or actually fighting the ring with someone and either getting life life kicked out of me or kicking the life out of my opponent. It is all for learning sake.

I have until July, when I plan on enlisting, to not only continue my conditioning but to increase its intensity and strengthen both my body and MIND. I am hoping once I improve this routine it will be good enough to prepare me to try out and get into Matkal, Egoz, Sayeret Golani, or any other high intensity commando unit where I CAN DO GOOD FOR MY PEOPLE. My hebrew is fair but rusty however in the next few weeks I graduate and I am going to study hebrew 2-3 hours a day until my Ulpan starts.

Any tips you could give me on how to better suit my routine for passing both gibbush and the next 15-20 months of training despite the set backs you've listed? I understand its not all physical and I am at an innate disadvantage but I can tell you this if I get a gibbush...I WONT quit no MATTER WHAT they tell me. They would likely have to physically remove me. Israel is the only security our people have and it is my time and duty to protect that to the best of my absolute abilities.

If you have any advise on how to improve my routine I would be very greatfull!! Also haha any MORE tips on the mental strengthening?

Last edited by AGoodman; 11-13-2013 at 10:09 PM..
Old 11-14-2013, 02:42 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Your spirit is admirable.

I would strongly recommend you read the dozens and dozens of posts that read just like yours, and where possible see where these people ended up in the IDF. I especially urge you to read posts by those who announce they are making aliyah, and never devote even 3 words to what they are going to do in Israel the day after they complete their brief service.

My strongest advice to you is to do your best to not confuse a successful service with one that can only be in a "Special Forces" unit. If I told you one in a thousand who try out make it, I know you will return with the fact that you are going to be that one in one thousand. On the off chance that the IDF does not realize how lucky they are to have you, you should spend some of your energy preparing mentally for just being like everyone else.

Please feel free to continue to hone your physical stamina, it can only help. But if you are this focused on being this picture you have in your mind, you better start practicing explaining what you want in hebrew. Because they aren't going to listen to you in any other language. Yes, hebrew is tough. I know because every time I bring it up most posters return the conversation to how many push ups they can do while holding a cow on their shoulders.

The goal of aliyah is supposed to be someone committing to live in Israel. Not be a soldier. Yes, that is the fun part, but if you can only find fulillment in Israel in a uniform, then Israel is not for you. As someone old enough to graduate college, it is not unusual after aliyah to wait up until a year before joining the IDF. What happens if your age bracket calls for only 6 months or a year of service? Are you going to back out of aliyah? Miluim, reserves is now 33 day every two years, total.

By all means, be all you can be, but start taking an approach that will allow you greater satisfaction whatever life brings you.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Dragon

David of Galilee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
Your spirit is admirable.

I would strongly recommend you read the dozens and dozens of posts that read just like yours, and where possible see where these people ended up in the IDF. I especially urge you to read posts by those who announce they are making aliyah, and never devote even 3 words to what they are going to do in Israel the day after they complete their brief service.

My strongest advice to you is to do your best to not confuse a successful service with one that can only be in a "Special Forces" unit. If I told you one in a thousand who try out make it, I know you will return with the fact that you are going to be that one in one thousand. On the off chance that the IDF does not realize how lucky they are to have you, you should spend some of your energy preparing mentally for just being like everyone else.

Please feel free to continue to hone your physical stamina, it can only help. But if you are this focused on being this picture you have in your mind, you better start practicing explaining what you want in hebrew. Because they aren't going to listen to you in any other language. Yes, hebrew is tough. I know because every time I bring it up most posters return the conversation to how many push ups they can do while holding a cow on their shoulders.

The goal of aliyah is supposed to be someone committing to live in Israel. Not be a soldier. Yes, that is the fun part, but if you can only find fulillment in Israel in a uniform, then Israel is not for you. As someone old enough to graduate college, it is not unusual after aliyah to wait up until a year before joining the IDF. What happens if your age bracket calls for only 6 months or a year of service? Are you going to back out of aliyah? Miluim, reserves is now 33 day every two years, total.

By all means, be all you can be, but start taking an approach that will allow you greater satisfaction whatever life brings you.
!בול

For all those good souls who may genuinely want to come home to their birthright Israel and seriously contribute, but are overly focused on army duty, please note that there is nothing inaccurate or cynical in Rafi's answer. It is pure reality. Loving Israel and wanting to make Aliyah may rightfully include an enthusiasm for army duty, but very quickly diur v'haknasa--housing and income--become the looming giants of life. At least for a small while. Most of us in Israel get over that problem by our mid-40s. Well, usually.

There is an ancient Hebrew saying popular among Cherry pickers in Judea and Samaria:
כִּי בְתַחְבֻּלוֹת, תַּעֲשֶׂה-לְּךָ מִלְחָמָה; וּתְשׁוּעָה, בְּרֹב יוֹעֵץ
For with wise advice thou shalt make thy war;
and in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Listen to the wise before you go to war--much better than afterwards!

Good Luck

Last edited by David of Galilee; 11-14-2013 at 10:18 PM..
Israel Forum