Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Global Military > North America
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

North America Military News From United States, Canada & Mexico.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:30 PM

BaseMan is on a distinguished road
Default US Military Base Experts?

I'm developing a website militarybases.com. I've just finished adding all state-side bases, but I'm sure I missed some. I haven't added Coast Guard bases and I think I even got the names of some wrong. The restructuring and lack of up to date information online makes it hard to tell.

I'm now working on bases overseas, but there's even less coherent information on those. What should constitute a US military base? Are joint bases to be considered US Military Bases? Are non-permanent bases to be considered? Is there a good government source for this information?

Can you guys take a peek at the site. (It's very new.) And let me know what you think I need to add or remove or change. Any feedback is welcome. I want to provide the best site I can.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Gold Member

milluim is on a distinguished road

Is there anything about area 51??? : )
Old 08-05-2010, 01:41 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

I guess I'm just missing the point, but isn't this bad?

Or I guess the better question is why you don't think this is bad?

Hey guys, if I'm way off here, let me know what you think.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:01 AM
Dragon

SpacemanSpiff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
I guess I'm just missing the point, but isn't this bad?

Or I guess the better question is why you don't think this is bad?

Hey guys, if I'm way off here, let me know what you think.
Well, I checked out his site earlier tonight, and actually I see a lot less detail than available at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...military_bases

or

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ity/index.html

I suppose the sensitivity of his site will depend on where he takes it.

Or am I missing something ?

Last edited by SpacemanSpiff; 08-05-2010 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: Addition
Old 08-05-2010, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

scelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseMan View Post
I'm developing a website militarybases.com. I've just finished adding all state-side bases, but I'm sure I missed some. I haven't added Coast Guard bases and I think I even got the names of some wrong. The restructuring and lack of up to date information online makes it hard to tell.

I'm now working on bases overseas, but there's even less coherent information on those. What should constitute a US military base? Are joint bases to be considered US Military Bases? Are non-permanent bases to be considered? Is there a good government source for this information?

Can you guys take a peek at the site. (It's very new.) And let me know what you think I need to add or remove or change. Any feedback is welcome. I want to provide the best site I can.
May I ask the reasoning behind providing this website? Is it as an aid for active/reserve military personnel and their dependents, for Department of Defense contractors or civilian employees, for the general populace, etc.?

No offense meant, but I'm not exactly sure what you hope to accomplish and might only assume you're also aware the information you seek can and will at times be considered sensitive depending on many factors. In addition, the website appears more designed to generate income rather than serve as an informational tool for those seeking any publicly available information regarding US military establishments.

Glancing at just a few bases I myself am familiar with, I'd say you've got your work cut out for you. As far as overseas garrisons: I'd concentrate on CONUS first.

Where exactly are you gleaning this information from?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:42 AM

250,000 people a month search for the phrase "military bases" alone. Yes, this is a for profit venture. The content as written right now is by a writer in India. This is the reality of the internet, I'm just the one who will tell you that's the case. By outsourcing the content writing to India I can fill out the site quickly to start ranking for keywords and now I'm in the process of improving that content because I'm sure like you've said I have a ways to go. But it is a process. With the help of other forums I've already added and edited several bases to be more accurate. I'm also going to add a way for people to edit the content/suggest changes. Sort of a feedback loop. And a balancing game of profitability and useful information.

The information I'm offering is all public already and I think you are being a little paranoid if you think this site is going to lead to any sort of security breach or threat. The site is for who ever searches for things like "Military Bases in [State]." Demographically that group is diverse. There are plenty of benign rational reasons to be interested in military bases especially when we spend more on defense than most things. More than all things depending on how you look at the budget.

I've gotten this kind of feedback from almost every military forum. I don't really get it either. These are not secret military bases. This is not classified information. And I personally think a government shrouded in secrecy protects itself from foreign threats, but also the citizens of that country. Which has obvious nefarious implications.

I hope you can appreciate that I'm being honest with my intentions here, other forums gave me infractions for a similar explanation.

Last edited by BaseMan; 08-06-2010 at 01:51 AM..
Old 08-06-2010, 02:25 AM
Gold Member

Little Rock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Snipped Yes, this is a for profit venture. Snipped: And a balancing game of profitability and useful information.

The information I'm offering is all public already and I think you are being a little paranoid if you think this site is going to lead to any sort of security breach or threat. The site is for who ever searches for things like "Military Bases in [State]." Demographically that group is diverse. There are plenty of benign rational reasons to be interested in military bases especially when we spend more on defense than most things. More than all things depending on how you look at the budget.

I've gotten this kind of feedback from almost every military forum. I don't really get it either. These are not secret military bases. This is not classified information. And I personally think a government shrouded in secrecy protects itself from foreign threats, but also the citizens of that country. Which has obvious nefarious implications.

I hope you can appreciate that I'm being honest with my intentions here, other forums gave me infractions for a similar explanation.
Shalom.

The added emphasis, bold type and underlined type in the lines above was done by me.

Did you bother to read the Rules of this forum before you posted? If you did or didn't doesn't really matter. I refer you to this Rule that you seem to be in blatant violation of:

"The following will result in the deletion of postings no questions asked.

Snipped: Used for commercial or advertising materials, Used for information or instructions containing illegal activities, Used for links or any kind of access to content that has already been aforementioned as inappropriate for this forum."

Failure to read or to follow the posted Rules of any forum prior to posting is a sure fire way to show that you do not care for that forum.

Cheers from Peter
Old 08-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Quote:
I myself haven't any particular problems with what you've stated, but whether the forum moderators feel the same way about your posting is not for me to say.

Let me assure you that no one here is being overly paranoid. We are however quite cautious and for very good reason. This forum is frequented by numerous IDF individuals (past, present and future) as well as those like myself from the armed forces of other countries (also past, present and future), especially the armed forces of the United States.

That aside, told you I'd checked a few CONUS bases just for fun that I was familiar with. The information is pretty much harmless and obviously geared towards those not overly familiar with or having only a basic knowledge of the US military. Putting it another way: the data is nice for relatives and dependents of military personnel, but certainly not for the service member going to the location on a PCS except in the most rudimentary ways. If your intention is to cater to the former group, then I can see where such a website would prove to be helpful to those wanting to visit a loved one for recruit training graduation or something similar.

As far as tackling overseas locations: I wouldn't recommend such an endeavor at this time for various reasons, not the least of which is such information generally isn't always available within the public domain. Besides, the amount and magnitude of the numerous US armed forces camps and bases outside the continental United States can literally boggle the mind.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:

Thank you for explaining your viewpoint.

I have to ask, have you ever been in the military?

Intelligence is simply doing you homework.Making it easier for someone is a real questionable action in my view. Armies throughout the world are struggling with the internet and it's affect on security.

There shouldn't be crime, but telling everyone who sleeps with their door unlocked is wrong.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:39 AM
Dragon

Actually, it is not so much base activities or other Wikipedia type information that concerns me. Heck, most bases have their own web pages where they flat out tell you with they do. (Example: http://www.ellsworth.af.mil/) Rather,
Quote:
I'm also going to add a way for people to edit the content/suggest changes. Sort of a feedback loop.
The miracle of the internet is that it allows trivia--or more specifically, "local knowledge" of all kinds to be posted for everyone around the globe to read. What if people add comments like:
"The fence on the east side is a bit ratty, and the surveillance camera is out at such and such."

"The midnight to 8 am security shift is understaffed."

"Sergeant xyx has duty at the entrance post in the AM, has gambling debts, and hangs out at Joe's Bar where he drinks too much and chases hot blondes."
Will you delete stuff of this nature ? Will you even notice it if interspersed with other stuff ?

But in truth, if the Jihadis were interested in this kind of stuff, they probably would have already created such a site themselves. In Arabic.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:58 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

The internet and the responsible use thereof by those in their late teens:

Facebook details cancel IDF raid

By YAAKOV KATZ

The status update on soldier’s page was revealed by other members of his unit.

The IDF was forced to cancel a recent arrest operation in the West Bank after a soldier posted information about the upcoming raid on his Facebook page.

The operation was scheduled to take place several weeks ago in the Binyamin region. The soldier, from an elite unit of the Artillery Corps, posted on his Facebook page: “On Wednesday, we are cleaning out [the name of the village] – today an arrest operation, tomorrow an arrest operation and then, please God, home by Thursday.”

The status update on the soldier’s page was revealed by other members of the soldier’s unit. His commanders then updated Judea and Samaria Division commander Brig.-Gen. Nitzan Alon, who decided to cancel the operation out of concern that the mission had been compromised.

The raid eventually took place, several days later, and was successful. The soldier, who had updated his Facebook page with his cellular phone, was disciplined by his commander, sentenced to 10 days in jail and kicked out of his unit.

Following the incident, the IDF’s Information Security Unit published a letter in which it warned soldier of the danger involved in publishing sensitive military information on Facebook.

“Enemy intelligence scans the Internet in search of pieces of information about the IDF. Information that could sabotage operations and endanger our forces,” the letter read.

Following a number of recent incidents involving the publication on Facebook of pictures that displayed sensitive military information, the Information Security Unit has launched a comprehensive public relations campaign aimed at educating soldiers about the risks involved in posting information on the social media site.

In April 2008, a soldier from Military Intelligence’s 8200 Unit, which is responsible for collecting signal intelligence and code decryption, was sentenced to 19 days in prison for uploading a picture onto Facebook that revealed sensitive military information.

Lt.-Col. Eyal, deputy commander of the Information Security Unit, said that tens of thousands of soldiers and officers are on Facebook and other social media Web sites. There were a “handful” of cases in 2009 in which the IDF intervened and ordered soldiers to remove specific items from the sites.

“Soldiers need to be smart with their use of these sites,” Eyal said, adding that the Information Security Unit was considering issuing an official military order to clarify the type of information that soldiers are permitted to post on the Internet.

Iran, Hizbullah and Hamas, Eyal said, were tracking IDF soldiers on Facebook.

“We see more activity among enemies on the Internet,” he said. “All one needs is Internet access and to search for a few key words and begin collecting intelligence
Old 08-06-2010, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Here's one solution to this sort of nonsense. More power to those who finally lowered the boom before something eventually happened that would have endangered lives:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009...pace-facebook/

Old 08-06-2010, 03:39 AM

The wiki style edits won't go live immediately. They will be sent to a backend first so I can decide what is worth adding or removing.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:42 AM
Dragon

^ You will get in trouble here for sigspamming, though.