Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Israeli Military Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Israeli Military Discussion Forum GENERAL Topics Relating To Israel & Its National Security, Latest news and Analysis.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:00 AM
Dragon

WABA will become famous soon enough
Default IDF will stop Iranian threat in Syria, declares Israeli defense minister

World Israel News

IDF will stop Iranian threat in Syria, declares Israeli defense minister

August 24, 2017

IDF will stop Iranian threat in Syria, declares Israeli defense ministerDefense Minister Avigdor Liberman meets with IDF soldiers. (Ariel Hermoni/MoD)

Israel will do what it takes to prevent an Iranian threat on its northern border, Liberman declared.

Israel will not stand by while Iran advances in Syria and establishes itself militarily on Israel’s northern border, Israeli Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman stated.

In an address to a forum at the Israeli Institute of Energy and Environment (IIEE) on Thursday, Liberman explained that “Iran, through its Revolutionary Guard, is trying to create a new reality around us with Iranian air and naval bases in Syria, with Shi’ite militias which number thousands of mercenaries and by the production of accurate weaponry in Lebanon.”

The Iranian forces are currently estimated to number 500 Iranian army soldiers, 5,000 Hezbollah terrorists and several thousand guerrillas from Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq.

Liberman vowed that Israel “has no intentions of accepting these attempts, and will not be satisfied to serve as bystanders.”

The potential for a growing Iranian influence across the region is raising concern in predominantly Sunni Arab countries and in Israel, the nemesis of both Iran and Hezbollah.

Israel has repeatedly warned it will do what it takes to keep Iran from threatening its borders and has carried out airstrikes in Syria against suspected weapons shipments bound for Hezbollah.

Israel pushed hard for a US- and Russia-brokered truce that came into effect recently in southern Syria to keep Iranian-backed militias at a distance from the Golan Heights, Israel’s northern border.

Liberman’s statements come just a day after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Sochi on the Black Sea, where he warned that Iran’s military buildup is a significant danger not only to Israel, but to other countries as well.

“Iran makes huge efforts to cement its presence in Syria. This poses a threat to Israel, the Middle East and the whole world,” Netanyahu told Putin.

The Israeli leader was joined by Mossad chief Yossi Cohen and Meir Ben Shabbat, the recently appointed head of the National Security Council who reportedly presented Putin with sensitive intelligence materials on the issue in discussion.

Netanyahu further noted that wherever the Islamic State (ISIS) has retreated in Syria and Iraq, Iran has taken over and filled the vacuum. While ISIS poses a tactical threat to Israel, Iran poses a strategic one.

“We cannot forget for a moment that Iran continues to threaten the destruction of the State of Israel every day, arms terrorist organizations, encourages and initiates terror,” Netanyahu underscored, explaining why Israel opposes Iran’s continued entrenchment in Syria and saying Israel would do whatever it takes to defend itself.

The two leaders also discussed other recent developments in the region, including the ceasefire in Syria, which Russia is sponsoring. Israel opposes aspects of the ceasefire because it solidifies Iran’s presence on Israel’s northern border.

“Israel has no objection to a (peace) agreement in Syria, but we are firmly opposed to such an agreement in which Iran and its proxies will be left with a military presence in Syria,” Netanyahu told Putin already in May.

By: World Israel News Staff
AP contributed to this report.

Email 13 Comments

Join the discussion…

John Doll • 15 hours ago
The stage is being set for some major fireworks in the region. Pray for Israel.
•Reply•Share ›

Jim Moritz • 6 hours ago
Step one...destroy the guided missile factory being built in Syria. Don't screw around.

•Reply•Share ›

Ben • 6 hours ago
America would also never let Islamic radicals hell-bent on hurting us group on our border. If this dangerous situation persists Israel will be justified in using area denial weaponry.

•Reply•Share ›

watsa46 Ben • 5 hours ago
With the leftist still controlling the SD don't be so sure! They will claim tough love towards IL under the pretext that IL refuses to commit suicide vis a vis the Pal. Remember BHO suspending the delivery of certain targeting weapons during the last conflict w Hamas!!!

•Reply•Share ›

daniel_i watsa46 • 24 minutes ago
please remember that we are not all americans in this forum... so maybe lighten up on the abbreviation/acronyms... so that your comments can be read more quickly. for those who might be momentarily puzzled: SD=state dept. IL=israel BHO=barak hussein obama... thx :)

•Reply•Share ›

sanford paris • 4 hours ago
Israel will be counted upon to take care of Israel. You do not want to be on the opposite side.

•Reply•Share ›

George Parker sanford paris • 7 minutes ago
Stay strong and take no nonsense.

•Reply•Share ›

Barry • 6 hours ago
How did Putin respond to the P.M. The article did not say?

•Reply•Share ›

Ben Barry • 6 hours ago
There are a lot of Russian Jewish immigrants in Israel. How will Russia react if enemy fire kills their people?

•Reply•Share ›

Paul Ben • 3 hours ago
Russia doesn't care about the former Russian Jewish citizens. And they shouldn't. I am one of them and I don't care if they care.. Although would have been greatly surprised if they did. Your question, actually, doesn't make any sense,

•Reply•Share ›

daniel_i Paul • 17 minutes ago
it's your answer, Paul, that doesn't make any sense. why 'shouldn't' Russia care?. in a nicey spicey world... it would be nice if they showed at least some concern for former Russian citizens... That you don't care if they care is entirely your business. But then you say you'd be surprised if they did care... so obviously you care to some extent. more to the OP's point... I think that a lot of people, and I for one, would be interested to know Putin's response to the Israeli PM and delegation.

•Reply•Share ›

Ben Paul • an hour ago
Actually, nowadays they '"do" care about bad publicity. Look at what is happening over their ambassadors dying. I too am of Russian descent.

•Reply•Share ›

George Parker • 10 minutes ago
Every now and again, stating the obvious is necessary.

•Reply•Share ›

cynthia stratten • 2 hours ago
I agree with Jim Moritz but also for Israel to work a way round to behind Iran should they strike Israel and a bomb will destroy Iran capital.

Paul • 3 hours ago
G-d Bless IDF! And may not let leftists at the Israeli government stay in their way!

•Reply•Share ›

worldisraelnews.com/israeli-defense-minister-will-not-stand-iran-advances-syria/?utm_source=MadMimi&utm_medium=email&utm_content=I srael%27s+Tough+Warning+to+Iran%3B+Mysterious+%27A merican+ISIS+Boy%27+Threatens+Trump%3B

Last edited by WABA; 08-26-2017 at 02:04 AM..
Old 08-27-2017, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
Photobucket

Knaur is on a distinguished road

Great 👍

In my veins runs the blood of the poets and wise men of old, and it is my desire to come to you and receive, but I shall not come with empty hands - Kahlil Gibran
Old 08-27-2017, 11:16 PM
Dragon

WABA will become famous soon enough

WABA

I have " no doubt whatsoever " that if " push comes to shove " , Israel will once again carryout " surprise air strikes " against the proposed Iranian / Syrian guided missile factories.

Let's not forget Israel's track record, when faced with a past nuclear threat from Irak's attempted " nuclear reactor " which Israel destroyed with " Operation Opera " on 7th June 1981 with a surprise air attack, and, " Operation Orchard " with a surprise air attack against a suspected Syrian nuclear reactor on 6th September 2007.

Both air raids were very sucessful, and Israel has the courage and military might, to eliminate any "guided missile production " factory threat from Syria / Iran.

Last edited by WABA; 08-27-2017 at 11:22 PM..
Israel Forum