Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Physical Fitness
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Physical Fitness your guide to physical fitness, training methods

Old 06-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned

Reform Jew is on a distinguished road
Default Useful Kosher diet for the members of this forum?

Shalom,

I think it deserves a topic. Many of us plan to join the IDF soon. True that IDF will train us, but it is still better if we are in good shape.

Could someone, maybe Rafi write us a good dietary?
Old 06-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

rafi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reform Jew View Post
Shalom,

I think it deserves a topic. Many of us plan to join the IDF soon. True that IDF will train us, but it is still better if we are in good shape.

Could someone, maybe Rafi write us a good dietary?
Jewish dietary are a way of life, not a training method for the army.

I am not sure I understand what guidance you want that you might not get from a Rabbi.

The standard IDF menu is as good (or bad) as any army mess hall in the world. THere is no such thing as "kosher style", that term is usually for people who do not follow our people's ditary laws, but pick and choose what to follow so they refer to the food and themselves as "jewish style".
Old 06-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Dragon

Forums_Addict is on a distinguished road

Can I give my opinion. I personally would say a diet free from unprocessed food as much as possible to get you healthy before you get to Israel.

Three meals a day with healthy snacks. A good balance of protein, carbohydrates etc. A calorie intake up to your basal metabolic rate (or slightly less if your body mass index is higher than normal). A multivitamin and mineral pill, plenty of exercise - just healthy diet and exercise.

Whether kosher or non kosher the above is what everyone should follow really, although it is easier to stick to the rules of diet and exercise when there is a good incentive, which you obviously have.

PS Welcome back Rafi

Last edited by Forums_Addict; 06-22-2010 at 11:47 AM..
Old 06-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forums_Addict View Post
Can I give my opinion. I personally would say a diet free from unprocessed food as much as possible to get you healthy before you get to Israel.

Three meals a day with healthy snacks. A good balance of protein, carbohydrates etc. A calorie intake up to your basal metabolic rate (or slightly less if your body mass index is higher than normal). A multivitamin and mineral pill, plenty of exercise - just healthy diet and exercise.

Whether kosher or non kosher the above is what everyone should follow really, although it is easier to stick to the rules of diet and exercise when there is a good incentive, which you obviously have.

PS Welcome back Rafi
Thank you for the welcome back!
You gave excellent advice.

The only concern would be the shock to your body after eating so healthy,then getting to an IDF base where everything is made in oil.

Our Motzei Shabbos meal last Saturday night was Pasta in tomatoe sauce, French Fries, and cottage cheese. At 10PM. How's that for a meal to sleep on?
Old 06-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

New Ron is on a distinguished road

A good falafel sandwich is always good & so tasty!

"If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence.. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel."
~ Golda Meir~

Old 06-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Dragon

Yes, but at least Reform Jew will be fit when he gets there if his diet is nutritious before he leaves. By the way pasta, tomato sauce and cottage cheese is an absolutely fantastically well balanced meal! Ok, the fries aren't so wonderful if fried, but the military need some treats. I am not sure I would eat that meal though. Also I guess nutritionists have a say regarding calorie control etc., as you don't want fat soldiers do you?!

I think he is thinking of being of optimum fitness from day one in Eretz Yisrael. He wont want to feel sluggish and unfit. Even someone of normal weight can be malnourished and someone overweight well nourished.

That picture of fellafel looks wonderful!

Last edited by Forums_Addict; 06-22-2010 at 06:00 PM..
Old 06-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Banned

Reform Jew is on a distinguished road

Wow thank you very much Forums Addict!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Dragon

That's ok! Being fit before getting there by eating unprocessed foods and cutting out junk food, exercise and sufficient sleep for several weeks before you arrive there will at least make you feel physically well and able to withstand hard work and a different way of life and climate.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:48 AM

krychek is on a distinguished road

It really depends on your objectives. Do you want to gain weight, or lose weight? Perhaps you want to maintain the same body weight but simply improve your body composition?

As Forums Addict has said, you need to base your total intake on your objectives. So if you want to gain weight, you need to make sure that your total caloric intake is sufficient given your amount of exercise. So even if you're increasing your caloric intake, it needs to be sufficient to still allow weight gain given how much you're burning.

Put simply, you can look at your body weight as being a function of your total caloric expenditure and your total caloric intake. As you manipulate these variables, your body weight will change. More specifically, as you manipulate the variables of the breakdown of your diet (the types of foods that compose your total caloric intake) with the variables of how you burn calories (the kinds of exercise you do), you will see changes in what parts of your body adapt and improve. So for example, ensuring that your diet is balanced with a healthy variety of foods as well as a smart exercise plan with resistance training will lead to bigger and stronger muscles.

There's also the issue of caordiovascular conditioning, but that's not very visible in the mirror. The adaptations that occur as a result of regular cardio may include fat loss, but necessarily lead to improved cardiovascular function (stronger heart, expanded and more extensive arteries/vessels/capillaries, increased lung efficiency with respect to oxygen extraction, etc), which can't be seen in the mirror.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

milluim is on a distinguished road

A lesson Rafi Will tell you when you get to Israel eat as much as you can! because you wont know when your next meal will be.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:55 PM

nicole1987 is on a distinguished road

Just eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits and not too much sugar and junkfood.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:24 PM

charan is on a distinguished road

When i asked an old man the same,he told me to eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar!!! Lol
Old 10-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Gold Member

Americal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole1987 View Post
Just eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits and not too much sugar and junkfood.
I would certainly agree with you Nicole. Since my back surgery in May thats what I've been doing. Plus, cutting out processed meats and salt. Also lots of exercising by way of stretching, isometrics and many miles of walking.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:12 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americal View Post
....... Plus, cutting out processed meats and salt.........
Excellent work!

I can't think of a better way to prepare for eating Loof.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi View Post
Excellent work!

I can't think of a better way to prepare for eating Loof.
I didn't know what you were talking about Rafi so I goggled it and got a hit on an Israeli post all about Loof. Aka American spam or beef in a can or mystery beef. Funny thing, we just bought two cans of spam today for our bug out bags. I wonder what the sodium content is?
Old 10-31-2010, 04:47 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americal View Post
I didn't know what you were talking about Rafi so I goggled it and got a hit on an Israeli post all about Loof. Aka American spam or beef in a can or mystery beef. Funny thing, we just bought two cans of spam today for our bug out bags. I wonder what the sodium content is?
I will be throwing away our spam from our bug out bags. Three cans of spam in a day would be 3240 calories and about 10,500 to 14,500 mgs of sodium....egads.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Correct.

Loof is battle rations. It's main ingrediants are
processed beef and sodium. The sodium kills the cow lips taste.

If you serve in the IDF, you will end up at some point debating going
to sleep hungry with your stomach growling, or going to bed full with your
stomach growling.

So the naivite' of your post just struck me as hilarious.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Correct.

Loof is battle rations. It's main ingrediants are
processed beef and sodium. The sodium kills the cow lips taste.

If you serve in the IDF, you will end up at some point debating going
to sleep hungry with your stomach growling, or going to bed full with your
stomach growling.

So the naivite' of your post just struck me as hilarious.

The sodium kills the cow lips taste. Thats funny stuff and I don't care who you are.

When I mentioned processed meats I was thinking more in the line of Budwig brand sliced meats. You know, its sliced so thin that you can see through a slice and its held together by salt.

Battle rations, eh?

If I was headed for the bush I'd grab tins of chocolate, pound cake and peaches out of the C-rations box. Do your troops get anything like that
to eat?
Old 10-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Zatoichi
PhotobucketPhotobucket

http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1894

No, the cardboard box is not edible.

We've tried.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1894

No, the cardboard box is not edible.

We've tried.
LOL..I don't fancy cardboard myself..Thanks for the link. I found it interesting. I think, I could eat some of the food in the Manot Krav except the Loof. Why don't you guys gather up all the cans of spam and chuck them at the enemy.
Israel Forum