Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > General > General chat
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General chat General discussion unrelated to above forums, jokes etc.

View Poll Results: POLL: Do you believe in aliens/intelligent life outside our planet
Yes 12 57.14%
No 6 28.57%
Undecided 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 02-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Knaur's Avatar
Knaur Knaur is offline
Super Moderator
Photobucket
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Punjab
Posts: 10,234
Knaur is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetnjohn View Post
ahh! but there must be intelligent life on this planet, after all there is this forum! that must be proof of at least some intelligent life!
I do my best to disprove that theory with my posts though
__________________
All our wars in air or in water are of NO worth;
if we haven’t so far learnt to live on earth.
All battles do culminate in ending a war;
A war generating battles is ‘curse’ not ‘mirth’.

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 02-04-2011, 08:40 AM
janetnjohn's Avatar
janetnjohn janetnjohn is offline
Dragon
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,345
janetnjohn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaur View Post
I do my best to disprove that theory with my posts though
well I for one always find your posts intelligent and interesting whilst I always make mine as silly as I can!!! except when I'm being serious of course

however, I need more proof than just lights in the night sky! I see many lights in the sky where I live, most just turn out to be those annoying good luck candles...annoying because I watched one go over my garden and thought to myself that whoever launched that in my direction won't be lucky if it sets fire to my trees!!!!!
__________________
Passage Isaiah 62

I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence,


"I ask then, has God rejected His people? By no means! God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. For the gifts and call of God are irrevocable."
(Romans 11:1,2,29)
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Elizabeth's Avatar
Elizabeth Elizabeth is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 121
Elizabeth is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forums_Addict View Post
POLL: Do you believe in aliens/intelligent life outside our planet?
Nope. Not even a little bit.

And especially not intelligent life. Otherwise, aliens would be smart enough to know not to come to Earth, at this time in our history, cause we are only at the slicing, dicing stage of our curiosity of our existence, for ET life.

If they were smart, they would know it is not safe to come to a planet where the inhabitants still have a hard time getting from point A to point B without running over ourselves with our own car.

As evidenced by the many redneck videos out there.

And trust me, I would know, I grew up in redneck central. A very loving people, just not too swift sometimes.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 09-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Jacobtess's Avatar
Jacobtess Jacobtess is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 127
Jacobtess is on a distinguished road
Default

I encountered this question many times on the Internet, in school, and even on a practice SAT (this last place was where I found a satisfying answer). From a Jewish perspective, many of you claiming to know G-d's intent in creating extraterrestrials or not creating extraterrestrials can be cleared up if you read more books on Jewish philosophy from the Rambam, Gersonides and others who tackle similar questions and provide pragmatic answers. The practice SAT had it's usual 2-passages with questions following it. The first passage was taken from a 1999 "history of the universe" book, while the second passage was taken from a book about the scientific journey for extraterrestrial life written in 2000. I understood the terminology from my advanced science classes and research, but here is a basic link that would help you better understand the passages:

"The Fermi paradox"-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox


Anyway, here are the passages:


--Passage 1--

"Generations of science fiction movies have conditioned us to consider bug-eyed monsters, large brained intellectual humanoids and other rather sophisticated extraterrestrial creatures as typical examples of life outside Earth. The reality is, however, that finding any kind of life at all, even something as simple as bacteria, would be one of the most exciting discoveries ever made. The consensus within the scientific community seems to be that we eventually will fin not only life in other parts of the galaxy but also intelligent and technologically advanced life. I have to say that I disagree. While I believe we will find other forms of life in other solar systems (if not in our own), I also find it extremely unlikely that a large number of advanced technological civilizations are out there, waiting to be discovered. The most succinct support of my view comes from Nobel laureate physicist Enrico Fermi, the man who ran the first nuclear reaction ever controlled by human beings. Confronted at a 1950 luncheon with scientific arguments for the ubiquity of technologically advanced civilizations, he supposedly said 'So where is everybody?' This so called Fermi Paradox embodies a simple logic. Human beings have had modern science only a few hundred years and already we have moved into space. It is not hard to imagine that in a few hundred years we will be a starfaring people, colonizing other systems. Fermi's argument maintains that it is extremely unlikely that many other 'civilizations' discovered science at exactly the same time we did. Had they acquired science even a thousand years earlier than we , they now could be so much more advanced that they would already be colonizing our solar system. If, on the other hand, they are a thousand years behind us [in the discovery of modern science] we will likely arrive at their home planet before they even begin sending us radio signals. Technological advances build upon each other, increasing technological abilities faster than most people anticipate. Imagine, for example, how astounded even a great seventeenth-century scientist like Isaac Newton would be by our current global communication system, were he alive today. Where are those highly developed extraterrestrial civilizations so dear to the hearts of science-fiction writers? Their existence is far from a foregone conclusion."

--Passage 2--

"Although posed in the most casual of circumstances, the Fermi Paradox has reverberated through the decades and has at times threatened to destroy the credibility of those scientists seriously engaged in the 'Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence' (SETI) research program. One possible answer to Fermi's question ('If there are extraterrestrials, where are they?') is that extraterrestrials have in fact often visited Earth, and continue to do so. This is the answer of those who believe in the existence of unidentified flying objects, or UFO's. But few scientist, even those engaged in SETI, take the UFO claims seriously. 'You won't find anyone around here who believes in UFO's,' says Francis Drake, a well-known SETI scientist. If one discounts UFO claims, yet still believes that there are many technological civilizations in the galaxy, why have they not visited us? Drake's answer is straightforward: ' High-speed interstellar travel is so demanding of resources and so hazardous that intelligent civilizations don't attempt it'. And why should they attempt it, when radio communication can supply all the information they might want? At first glance, Drake's argument seems very persuasive. The distances between stars are truly immense. To get from Earth to the nearest star and back, traveling at 99% of the speed of light would take 8 years. And SETI researchers have shown that, to accelerate a spacecraft to such a speed, to bring it to a stop and to repeat the process in the reverse direction would take almost unimaginable amounts of energy. Astronomer Ben Zuckerman challenges Drake's notion that technological beings would be satisfied with radio communication. 'Drake's implicit assumption is that the only thing we're going to care about is intelligent life. But what if we have an interest in simpler life-forms? If you turn the picture around and you have some advanced extraterrestrials looking at the Earth, until the last hundred years there was no evidence of intelligent life, but for billions of years before that they could have deduced that this was a very unusual world and that there were probably living creatures on it. They would have had billions of years to come and investigate'. Zuckerman contends that the reason extraterrestrials haven't visited us is that so few exist."
__________________
"לֹא עָלֶיךָ הַמְּלָאכָה לִגְמוֹר וְלֹא אַתָּה בֶן חוֹרִין לִבָּטֵל מִמֶּנָּה"
--Pirkei Avot 2:21
"I don't play accurately - any one can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression."
- Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
"The end of all things; all has been said: Fear G-d, and obey his commandments for that is the whole [duty] of man"-- Ecclesiastes
"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"--Dirtdiver, The Unit
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 09-12-2011, 06:36 PM
ivik ivik is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1
ivik is on a distinguished road
Default

I have watched a once in a lifetime an unidentified flying object (UFO). In 1992. Not only I, on the day saw many of his. After that, I believe that there are other civilizations ..
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 06-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Nikolas93TS's Avatar
Nikolas93TS Nikolas93TS is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
Nikolas93TS is on a distinguished road
Default

I believe other life forms exist,probably several sentient.After all,if we watch statistically,sheer number of galaxies goes in favor of that theory.

But that they visit us?hard,really hard.....

As a scientifically open mind,I do not refute such possibility as impossible,but unless solid proof is provided,I remain skeptical.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 02-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Fezman92's Avatar
Fezman92 Fezman92 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 31
Fezman92 is on a distinguished road
Default

Yes I believe that there is intelligent life out there. Some more advance than us, some at our own stage of technological advancement, and others who are less advanced than us. Now the issue of what will happen when humanity does have to deal with the dialogues yet to come with alien life could be a different subject.
__________________
"So... I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again, I would. Garak was right about one thing, a guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it... Computer, erase that entire personal log."
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Paparock's Avatar
Paparock Paparock is offline
Dragon
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California High Desert Mountains
Posts: 48,313
Paparock is on a distinguished road
Default

Great post Janetnjohn.
__________________
O Israel
The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”

Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 03-10-2013, 10:59 AM
hworta hworta is offline
Dragon
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 779
hworta is on a distinguished road
Default

Yes there must be something else out there in the extreme vastness that one could call intelligent, the real question should be is there intelligent life in charge on Earth.....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 03-10-2013, 01:42 PM
David of Galilee's Avatar
David of Galilee David of Galilee is offline
Dragon
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Galilee
Posts: 1,481
David of Galilee is on a distinguished road
Default

All of the universe and existence itself belong to the Eternal One. What I can say is that if he chose to populate it, then it is populated.

Many people say, if these aliens were intelligent then they would have made contact, or been to earth If they could travel across lights years then why would they bother with puny earthlings, or would have destroyed us, or would be so advanced that they would be beyond our petty avarice, etc. etc. All reasonable wondering, but not based on any knowledge. Therefore, guesses or presumptions, but not even speculation, really. Who know if "alien intelligence" implies what human intelligence implies? What if the alien beings were one-thousandths of a centimetre thick, and spread out over several million square kilometres, and communicated at a billion times our brain speed? Maybe we'd be dust to them, and they would be nearly invisible giant cosmic stains.

I do not believe in the theories of pure chance and evolution, simply because they are irrational and unscientific, and assume that God is an imaginary friend of the emotionally weak. But even taken on their own scientific merit, they are full of assumptions. "Chance" is a tricky concept--Randomness doesn't even exist in fundamentally Jewish thought. What drives such randomness?

So, if God wanted different types of sentient beings out there, then they exist. If not, then not.

A very good Christian friend of mine, very well-read and genuine, and above average in intelligence, said that if there were other intelligent beings out there, then it would make a joke out of Christian belief. But when I said, "please explain why," he looped and backtracked and guffawed a bit, and then said, "let me think about it."

We're still good friends, but I haven't got my answer yet, and I don't plan on pressing it. I know that he believes that perceived alien visitors are daemonic beings, and that many rational Christians believe that this might be the case. Again, I see no direct evidence, but then again, one does not always see what one does not anticipate.

I find it very hard to comment definitively on a topic about which I have something between zip and bupkis to go on.

HOW DO WE KNOW ABOUT THAT WHICH WE HAVE NOT EVEN DREAMED?

Last edited by David of Galilee; 03-10-2013 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 05-15-2013, 10:53 AM
סייד אחמד סייד אחמד is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
סייד אחמד is on a distinguished road
Default

:D Welcome
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 03-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Paparock's Avatar
Paparock Paparock is offline
Dragon
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California High Desert Mountains
Posts: 48,313
Paparock is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence

Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence


__________________
O Israel
The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”

  #93  
Old 03-14-2016, 07:06 PM
Paparock's Avatar
Paparock Paparock is offline
Dragon
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California High Desert Mountains
Posts: 48,313
Paparock is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Personal Experience

Personal Experience


I cannot say for definite that there are life forms on other planets. Having said that I do know for fact that there are non-human life forms as we define them from personal experience. Where they are from I can not say for a fact as some postulate interplanetary, some interdimensional, alternate or even parallel timelines, time travel, and many other theories. I worked with some researchers in a few projects.

Yes, I technically violated Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implemented on July 16, 1969, making it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles but it was not by my own free will. I guess "they" did not read the fine print or broke the deal if "they" signed a deal with the U.S. governemnt. And NO I have no intention of discussing what happened!

I was a U.S. Army Air Defense officer for only two years but over my lifetime I have observed approx. 20 different un-identified craft of various shapes and sizes that were clearly not "normal" aircraft from their capabilities to their very size.
__________________
O Israel
The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”


Last edited by Paparock; 03-14-2016 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 03-14-2016, 09:02 PM
Knaur's Avatar
Knaur Knaur is offline
Super Moderator
Photobucket
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Punjab
Posts: 10,234
Knaur is on a distinguished road
Default

I see that you are another person along with me who clicked on Undecided Dwayne, but reading your posts one would have guessed your response to be a resounding Yes! You would be in good company of course as many other informed people like astronauts, pilots, military officers, govt. officials including a former Canadian defence minister have said yes to the question of alien life based on personal observance.

As I said in a previous post on this thread, Dharmic religions list Lokas (worlds) other than Dhartiloka (Earth world) where non-humans beings live and also their interaction with our own world.

I was under the impression that is not so in Abrahmic religions, however that appears not be definitively so as other posters in the thread have amplified.Interestingly, former poster David of Galilee who was very cognisant on Judaism informed me in another thread, quoting a renowned Rabbi ; that if intelligent life exists out there, Jews are in fact obligated to look for it.
__________________
All our wars in air or in water are of NO worth;
if we haven’t so far learnt to live on earth.
All battles do culminate in ending a war;
A war generating battles is ‘curse’ not ‘mirth’.

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 08-15-2016, 03:45 AM
Paparock's Avatar
Paparock Paparock is offline
Dragon
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California High Desert Mountains
Posts: 48,313
Paparock is on a distinguished road
Exclamation In Memory of my friend Dr. Karla Turner

In Memory of my short time friend Dr. Karla Turner
Taken: Inside the Alien-Human Abduction Agenda
By Paparock


I did not get to know Karla as I wish I could have. We met at several conventions and had some very wonderful conversations. I was planning to meet her back in my native state of Arkansas for some longer and more in depth discussions when we all to soon lost her.

Karla was such an honest, open, and wonderful person for the world to lose. I was so shocked and delighted to find such a kindred spirit who understood my experiences. Mankind lost a treasure when it lost Dr. Karla Turner that few really understand!

__________________
O Israel
The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”


Last edited by Paparock; 08-15-2016 at 03:48 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 08-15-2016, 11:06 AM
janetnjohn's Avatar
janetnjohn janetnjohn is offline
Dragon
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,345
janetnjohn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparock View Post
Great post Janetnjohn.
aww...........thanks butty!!
__________________
Passage Isaiah 62

I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence,


"I ask then, has God rejected His people? By no means! God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. For the gifts and call of God are irrevocable."
(Romans 11:1,2,29)
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 08-16-2016, 07:24 AM
Knaur's Avatar
Knaur Knaur is offline
Super Moderator
Photobucket
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Punjab
Posts: 10,234
Knaur is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetnjohn View Post
aww...........thanks butty!!
Butty? Is there something going on between you and Paparock that we need to know?
__________________
All our wars in air or in water are of NO worth;
if we haven’t so far learnt to live on earth.
All battles do culminate in ending a war;
A war generating battles is ‘curse’ not ‘mirth’.

At that time, I will search out and destroy all of the nations who have come against Jerusalem - Zechariah 12:9
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 08-17-2016, 08:20 AM
janetnjohn's Avatar
janetnjohn janetnjohn is offline
Dragon
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,345
janetnjohn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaur View Post
Butty? Is there something going on between you and Paparock that we need to know?
nothing to see here............move along
__________________
Passage Isaiah 62

I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence,


"I ask then, has God rejected His people? By no means! God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. For the gifts and call of God are irrevocable."
(Romans 11:1,2,29)
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 05-24-2017, 01:35 AM
Vish Vish is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: India
Posts: 5
Vish is on a distinguished road
Default

I believe in the vast infinite universe, it would be arrogant to think that we're the only life containing planet.

I think maybe we can't yet connect to them because we are limited by our five senses.

We are only waking up.
Our space faring began recently.
So I think we should give it time.
Reply With Quote
Israel Forum
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Israel Military Forum