Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Social > Debate Social & Political Issues
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Debate Social & Political Issues Debate Social and political discussion about Israel/Palestinians, the Middle east or world politics.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:26 PM

Chevy_Purdie is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Is the IDF using social media as effectively as they could be?

When you look at some of the posts on the IDF's social media accounts, it appears almost propaganda-like, although it's not. It looks this way because they keep posting the same things over and over again, stressing the same points continuously. If the IDF really wants support, maybe they're going to have to ramp up their efforts to get it.

There honestly needs to be more of an effort to justify the operations they undertake, and the mass civilian casualties that go with it. While there have been efforts to achieve this, with some success, there is still more that can be done, and I think personally that the IDF's social media accounts need a clean-up, and the nature of their posts need to be re-evaluated.

If you take a look for yourself, you will notice that the IDF creates A LOT of posts, which takes away a lot of the value of their content. The less you post, the more people take what you do post seriously. If you're going to post something every two seconds, people are going to lose interest or get annoyed, which has many negative impacts. What I believe the IDF needs to do, is create more quality content but post less.

What we definitely need to see is more of an effort to educate people of the conflict in general. The reason many people are pro-Gaza/Hamas is because they don't understand the conflict, they are basing their opinions off what they are seeing in the media which is largely biased towards Palestine in a lot of places, despite a lot of the media being owned/run by Jews. More money needs to be spent perhaps in the area of increasing awareness, and educating the general public.

The sporadic posting almost makes it seem as though the IDF is trying to counteract claims that they are in the wrong by overwhelming us with as much pro-Israel news as they can, which isn't where their concern should be. The patterns in which they post seem to indicate the lack of confidence they have in regards to the general public supporting them, and we are able to sense that.

My message to the IDF social media managers; Stop posting so much, and start creating more quality content if you really want the support of the public. Yes, it is true that many people are liking/following the IDF on social media every day, and each post seems to receive an enormous amount of shares/likes/comments and whatnot, but the potential reach is not being met. Social media is an integral part of modern society, and can be a great tool if used correctly. Take advantage of this tool, and use it to its maximum potential.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Paparock is on a distinguished road
Exclamation A More Accurate Question

You are young Chevy and you are full of enthusiasm as were we all once some of us longer ago than others. I'm 65 and a Christian Zionist that came out of the US Army as an officer in Feb of 1973 full of it wanting to immigrate to Israel ready to fight and trained to do so. But alas Israel officials were highly sensitive to non-Jews wanting to immigrate and fight due to possible charges by the world of "mercenaries" being in the IDF I was informed. I found many other ways to support and fight for Israel as anyone can if they truly have a heart for Israel.

It is easier for those willing to convert and you are young enough to make a lot of preperation. That said, I want you to understand your quest will not be easy. Rafi, is the man here that knows the most about the process and be sure to read Thinking of joining the IDF ? - http://israelmilitary.net/showthread.php?t=15369 . I personally wish you well.

The reason Israel does not get better media coverage is because so much of social media ignores or blocks Israel's interests being posted about while allowing if not encouraging Israel's enemies interests posts.

For example:

Social networking website Facebook has stated that a group created by anti-Semitic users entitled, "Death to zionst [sic] baby killer israeli jews" falls within its Community Standards guidelines, despite inciting hatred and violence against a particular race. http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-L...hin-Guidelines
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”

Old 07-29-2014, 09:51 PM

Hey Paparock! :) Thanks for the reply! By "get the support of the international community" I didn't mean convince people to emmigrate and fight but rather campaign online and in their community and such, just thought I'd get that out there.

What you said about Israel's enemies being favored on social media is true, and personally I believe this is in part because Israel isn't doing enough to turn it around.

Thanks for the support too, I'll be sure to check out your link! :)
Old 07-29-2014, 11:05 PM
Dragon
Photobucket

Paparock is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Anti-Semitism Rising at an Alarming Rate in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_Purdie View Post
Hey Paparock! :) Thanks for the reply! By "get the support of the international community" I didn't mean convince people to emmigrate and fight but rather campaign online and in their community and such, just thought I'd get that out there.

What you said about Israel's enemies being favored on social media is true, and personally I believe this is in part because Israel isn't doing enough to turn it around.

Thanks for the support too, I'll be sure to check out your link! :)
I know for a fact many ardent supportes of Israel are on it 24/7/365 but when you face such anti-Semitism as that openly practiced by Facebook, and a hundred others I have not named it is a 24/7/365 job!

You will find Anti-Semitism especially high on college campuses. The Alarming Rise of Campus Anti-Semitism - http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/jos...anti-semitism/

Anti-Israelism is Anti-Semitism: an Interview with Manfred Gerstenfeld- http://www.newenglishreview.org/Jerr...d_Gerstenfeld/

Anti-Semitism is the New “Black” in California Public Schools- http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/o.../2014/07/16/2/
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”

Old 07-30-2014, 03:26 AM

I understand the 24/7 need to be actively counteracting anti-semitism online, I agree if that's what you're saying. Personally I think Israel needs to put pressure on social media giants such as Facebook and Twitter, and convince them to oppose anti-semitism. And if they are putting pressure on them, they aren't pressuring them enough.

I'm not saying that the IDF needs to change their ways on social media altogether, I am simply implying that they could do more to counteract anti-semitism by making their content appear more legitimate and well thought out :)

Quote:
Social networking website Facebook has stated that a group created by anti-Semitic users entitled, "Death to zionst [sic] baby killer israeli jews" falls within its Community Standards guidelines, despite inciting hatred and violence against a particular race.
If Israel and the United States were to put pressure on organisations such as Facebook, perhaps this would change? They certainly have the power to act, so why don't they make a seriously whole-hearted effort to convince these social media giants to support them?
Israel Forum