Israel Military Forum

Welcome to the Israel Military Forum. You are currently viewing our Israel Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, Image Forum and access our other features. By joining our Israel Military Forum you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so
Join Our Israel Community Today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Israel Military Forum > Israel National security > Israeli Military Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Pictures Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Israeli Military Discussion Forum GENERAL Topics Relating To Israel & Its National Security, Latest news and Analysis.

View Poll Results: These are the best just choose yours
America, Colt M4 12 46.15%
Russia, Izhmash AK74 7 26.92%
Germany, Heckler and Koch G36 4 15.38%
Other, Bullpup design 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Dragon

Archangel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roei Hazan View Post
military squad:

up to 300 meters = normal soldier
up to 1000 meters = marksman
up to 1000 meters = gunner
300-2000 meters = sniper

Am i on the right numbers?
Snipers are not determined by range in which they will engage. If that were the case, if I got out there with a .50 cal Light Anti-material Rifle to take down a priority material target so a team can move forward and had a barrel in my spotters face, the fact that I just pulled my pistol and shot the guy 10 meters away would cease making me a sniper. It's about more than that.

Anyone who has the resolve to engage a target with a precise aim for the purpose of dispatching a target to complete whatever objective that individual may have, can be considered a sniper. If it's 50 meters, 20 meters or 100 to 2000 meters it makes no difference especially if you are the one he/she has their sights on. Cover makes no difference. In WWII some US Army snipers traveled within their units dressed as other members of their units were dressed and were called forward in France by their COs to remove the threat of German snipers they were having to deal with while they were navigating the infamous hedgerows.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:20 AM

Roei Hazan is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any news/improvements about the M4 reliability?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Is there any news/improvements about the M4 reliability?
I'm not exactly sure. However outside of (but yet BASED on) standard issue there is these.

http://www.lwrci.com/p-110-m6a3.aspx
Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM

There is already short-stroke gas piston system for an M4,
But I'm not sure the reliability problem of M4 is because of his operating system, there are many more aspects.
but thanks.

Last edited by Roei Hazan; 01-05-2010 at 11:57 AM..
Old 01-08-2010, 03:27 AM
Dragon

Quote:
There is already short-stroke gas piston system for an M4,
But I'm not sure the reliability problem of M4 is because of his operating system, there are many more aspects.
but thanks.

No prob. From what I have heard the main complaint is that after a real bad firefight they've had to ditch the rifle because it got used so much that it built up a lot of soot from the spent powder and jammed. Also dirt, sand, mud and heaven knows what else gets into the receiver and jams the rifle. I have no idea if the soil issues have been solved but it's been a long time since I've heard about that issue. I also know that if you are just anal about stuff getting into the receiver from dirty water and crap you can attach a condom to the back end of the muzzle and bingo, it won't give you that problem till you take it off when you decide to discharge the rifle.

As for the soot, it seems to be the major issue at hand. Which is why the short stroke piston came about. I probably don't have to tell you but for those reading that may not know, the short stroke gas piston system will confine the soot to a certain location away from the receiver so it's less likely to jam. It will also fire full auto in a hurry so it doesn't retard the timing of the rifle, I saw LWRC empty a dual drum 100 rd mag of 6.8 filled with assorted ammo from HP, to FMJ, brass and steel casings and it will empty a 30 round mag no doubt in a hurry, so suppression ability is NOT lacking. As for accuracy, from what I saw on full auto, semi auto should have the same basic feel.

Another one seemed to be the casings didn't load from the mags very well so with the M4, which I don't have to tell you was solved a good bit with the M4 cut feed ramp/barrel. My AR has the M4 cut barrel and feed ramp because it came that way so I can't tell you because of the existance of the debate on that feature if it actually works (I've never fired one without it and I've never fired an AR prior to the one I have now.). I do know I had only one jam so far in 90 rounds and it was with Silver Bear Zinc coated 62 grain steel cased Hollow Point .223 Remington ammo. I ejected the jammed round, inspected it and loaded it back into the same mag, it loaded right after the jam no problem. Hasn't jammed since. I have a feeling it was due to having to break in a new mag so I don't blame the rifle or the ammo. I can't, the rifle was squeaky clean, having just got it and the zinc coated steel cased ammo I've heard good reports on it.

So that's my two cents for what ever it may actually be worth I dunno.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:19 PM

Emo Zipper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Cav View Post
The funny thing is that I have never had a reliability problem with any M-16 platform, with proper maintenance, it is a reliable as any other weapon.

I have had failures in AK platforms, M-1 platforms, any weapon if not properly maintained, will malfunction.

Any weapon that is fire past it's heat limits will malfunction, and there are times in combat that you need fire weapons past their limitation, and yes I know that the AR platforms have failed under extreme usage, and the AR platform need more maintenance than many other weapons, but it is still a very good platform and has stood the test of time.

Yes, a conversion to a piston driven gas system in the AR platform might enhance it's reliability, but that would have to pass the test of time and usage.

One of the best gas systems I have seen for a AR is the PWS, long recoil gas system, the op rod is attached to the bolt carrier, and is of a larger diameter than any of the other systems.
Some of these are beginning to show up at the Complex. I have not seen any of the jamming problems with them that I see with the M-4. However that doesn't mean there won't be any. So far so good....EZ
Old 01-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Gold Member

Sgt. Cav is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emo Zipper View Post
Some of these are beginning to show up at the Complex. I have not seen any of the jamming problems with them that I see with the M-4. However that doesn't mean there won't be any. So far so good....EZ
The PWS DC-16 system looks to be a good one, but then again I have not had any major problem with the M-16 system when properly maintained.

I do like PWS, FSC556 flash supressor, at night.

Any weapons system when fired into overheat become problematical, even the vaunted M-14.

Let us lay aside the 'pomp and circumstance' of war, pull off our coats and 'wade in'...
Let our divisions move on - kill, confiscate or destroy,
Throw every sympathy to the wind that might stand in the way...

- 13th Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, 1862

Last edited by Sgt. Cav; 01-27-2010 at 12:22 AM..
Old 02-08-2010, 06:54 PM

M4 owns
Old 02-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Dragon

ishmael is on a distinguished road

The best rifle I ever used was a gallil, 7.62. It was very reliable, was able to take abuse, accurate and could sustain high rate o fire. The wieght was problem for some. But i think this added to accruracy!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
The best rifle I ever used was a gallil, 7.62. It was very reliable, was able to take abuse, accurate and could sustain high rate o fire. The wieght was problem for some. But i think this added to accruracy!
I have found that in rifles, the heavier they are the more they absorb recoil. Makes for faster target reacquisition and follow up shots.

I discovered this when I did some searching on design information for the Desert Eagle. They said one reason they put that much mass into the pistol was to absorb the recoil of the magnum rounds.

This is why with my 1911 .45 ACP I went with the steel frame/slide instead of the increasingly popular alloy or aluminum frame/slide. The mass helps absorb recoil. As a result, I am still getting used to noticing the slide being locked back when it's empty because of the lower recoil. :)
Old 02-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Dragon

ishmael is on a distinguished road

I never used a pistol in combat, so i can not really comment. I do own an HK P7, which is unlike any other pistol i know of. I love it. It is a 9mm so it maybe undersized, but is is fast! I cant really reccommend as backup, it is totally different from any other pistol.

However it is made of steel! :)
Old 02-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Dragon

Quote:
I never used a pistol in combat, so i can not really comment. I do own an HK P7, which is unlike any other pistol i know of. I love it. It is a 9mm so it maybe undersized, but is is fast! I cant really reccommend as backup, it is totally different from any other pistol.

HKs are usually very nice.

As far as the balancing act of rapid but accurate fire and takedown/stopping power, I have found that either the .40 S&W or the .45 ACP gets the job done.

I like both but I still favor the .45 ACP To me it's the best of both worlds. If you just have to, you can still create a hail of bullets in the general area of a single target when in pistol range. But accuracy, it's still there. When you know how your pistol aims by default, you can do damage. I've gotten head and neck shots with my 1911 at 20 meters away. However as nice as that was, I know that there are sometimes more than one target sometime so I'm working on the El Presidente drill which I'm working out the kinks on. My sight alignment isn't as good as it should be on that drill because I'm trying to do it as fast as I can and still get lead on the target.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:36 AM
Dragon

PILMAN is on a distinguished road

AK47, if it ain't broke, why fix it?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Gold Member

Sgt. Cav is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The P-7 is a outstanding weapon, one of the safest and easiest to operate once you understand it's operation.

Points well, and handles well, easy to conceal.

You are definitely note underarmed with the P-7 as a side arm.

Let us lay aside the 'pomp and circumstance' of war, pull off our coats and 'wade in'...
Let our divisions move on - kill, confiscate or destroy,
Throw every sympathy to the wind that might stand in the way...

- 13th Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, 1862
Old 02-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILMAN View Post
AK47, if it ain't broke, why fix it?
That would be my primary but my side arm I would prefer would be the 1911 .45 ACP Government Model (Like mine) :)

CQB? The AK would do but my preference would be a 12 gauge. A Saiga would be great for entry and clearance if you had to do it yourself. If you need a slug loaded you just remove the mag pull the charging handle, tilt the shotgun down and drop the round right into the chamber, let the bolt come forward and pop the mag back on. Being Semi-Auto, the follow up shots will be faster. I'd have to get one mod choked though. :)