View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Dragon

Archangel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfire View Post
Hello all,
How do you stay motivated to run and keep in shape during the winter months? Espicially for those who are not fortunate enough to have an indoor heated gymnasium. It appears that physical fitness is the easiest thing to give up, or skip a day...and the next thing you know is that you have not performed cardiovascular exercise in three weeks. -any pointers?

-with respect,
-Rimfire.

While I'm not training in the IDF or any other military I can tell you that as a civvie I can imagine that it's harder to stay motivated because your life is less structured and ruled by your own will and desire more.

This being said, you start with motivation, find that it's not always there. So I end up doing it by forcing myself to do it. In a way I discipline myself to do it.

It's sorta like having to salute a superior you don't like. You have to remind yourself, you're not saluting the man, but the rank. You don't have to like it, you just gotta do it.

Same with days that you don't feel motivated. You don't have to want to do it, you just have to do it.

Again with the Nike slogan, Just do it. lol :D

And it crosses over to life too. Ability to self discipline is a very valuable and respectable trait to learn and you really can learn it, no one can teach you but you. Any one else teaches you discipline, it's not self discipline, it never came from within but from someone else instead.

That's my 2 cents on doing cardio every day (which I aim to do but weather can be a pain and sometimes I get so tired of it I jog in the rain or cool weather anyway).