Israel Military Forum

Israel Military Forum (http://www.israelmilitary.net/index.php)
-   Israeli Military Discussion Forum (http://www.israelmilitary.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Send a Pizza to Israeli Soldiers on Active Duty (http://www.israelmilitary.net/showthread.php?t=14982)

Paparock 07-04-2010 11:57 AM

Send a Pizza to Israeli Soldiers on Active Duty

On behalf of the soldiers of the IDF (Israel Defense Forces), we wish to thank the many, many people the world over who have sent Pizza, Burgers and most recently, traditional Mishloach Manot for Purim and a variety of other treats.
Our project started in 2002 during Israel's Operation Defensive Shield, to rid our area of terrorists following the bombing of the Park Hotel in Netanya and the murder of thirty people, including many Holocaust survivors, sitting down to their Pesach Seder. This followed a number of years in which we gave you the opportunity to send mishloach manot for Purim.

Please tell your friends about this wonderful way to show support for our combat troops.

During the last seven years we have delivered many thousands of pizza pies and other gifts to thousands of soldiers. It is hard for us to describe how happy they are to receive your "special treats" -- it goes well beyond getting a hot pizza late at night at a lonely post. It is as tremendous an experience for us to give them out as it is for the soldiers to receive them. They love to know that people everywhere support and care for them.

Our deliveries are coordinated with the security forces and pose no security risk.

scelli 07-04-2010 11:01 PM

This is very cool and I'm going to bookmark the site for use in the very near future. Did you see there's a web page as well for burgers?

http://burgeridf.org/

Also: can someone enlighten me as to process used to ensure the following mentioned on the web site? I've never quite understood how it's determined if something is kosher or not along with the qualifications for a product to actually be determined as kosher:

All our products are Glatt Kosher l'Mehadrin
allowing all soldiers receiving them to be able to eat them.

rafi 07-04-2010 11:25 PM

In Israel, as well as the United States and most of the world, there are established boards that inspect and certify products as kosher.

The most renouned one you can see next time you visit a supermarket. It is the letter U inside a circle, or the "OU" certification. This is the "Orthodox Union" the mostwidely accepted certifying authority. You might see OU D for dairy or simply the letter K for another less stringent certification board. Some are local, some are world wide.

THe pizza program is great, my biggest dossapointment is for someone like me, I have a specific unit in mind that I would liketo send it to, andthey are picked 100% at random. But greatly appreciated whenever sent.

scelli 07-04-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafi (Post 69196)
In Israel, as well as the United States and most of the world, there are established boards that inspect and certify products as kosher.

The most renouned one you can see next time you visit a supermarket. It is the letter U inside a circle, or the "OU" certification. This is the "Orthodox Union" the mostwidely accepted certifying authority. You might see OU D for dairy or simply the letter K for another less stringent certification board. Some are local, some are world wide.

THe pizza program is great, my biggest dossapointment is for someone like me, I have a specific unit in mind that I would liketo send it to, andthey are picked 100% at random. But greatly appreciated whenever sent.

Thanks for the info, Rafi! Have you or anyone else here used this pizza or burger service in the past? I think it's great, but also understand where you're coming from as far as the specific unit option. I occasionally contribute to the Israeli LIBI fund for those familiar with that program (and also to the American USO by the way), but apparently this "fast food to the front lines" idea is an entire different concept. :cool:

rafi 07-05-2010 02:26 AM

OK, I probably do it a bit different. Since I'm at allot of these bases, the big thing at most Pizza Parlors in Israel is to give out magnets with their contact info. So I go direct to the local place and order from them by credit card over he phone. They are pretty amazed when they hear where I'm calling from, but sometimes I let them know when i am there I'm going to do it.

New Ron 07-05-2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafi (Post 69196)

I love pizza! I'm sure that OU approved pizza is the best ever!

Forums_Addict 07-05-2010 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafi (Post 69203)
OK, I probably do it a bit different. Since I'm at allot of these bases, the big thing at most Pizza Parlors in Israel is to give out magnets with their contact info. So I go direct to the local place and order from them by credit card over he phone. They are pretty amazed when they hear where I'm calling from, but sometimes I let them know when i am there I'm going to do it.

After the Saturday night dinner you mentioned that your base served pasta, tomato sauce, cottage cheese and fries, I can understand why treats like these are appreciated.

Have you heard the saying, from Napolean, that an army marches on its stomach? It's good they have a change from the regular food rations.

Tristan 11-25-2012 08:04 PM

This is a great idea! Sent pizza during Cast Lead and threw in some burgers tonite.

New Ron 07-14-2014 12:42 PM

Putting this thread out here again, this is a great time to send pizza to the IDF something to encourage them!

New Ron 07-14-2014 12:43 PM

There is also this IDF Pizza campaign that I trust, therefore also good if you want to check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/PizzaIDFCampaign

New Ron 07-15-2014 08:40 PM

I just sent support to give pizza for IDF :o)